Max HP on Stock bottom end

id say around 650-700 fwhp, dont ask how i know
I'd qualify that with the statement "assuming you have a perfect tune"; I know a lot of other Gen-III owners (trucks, f-bodies, vettes) regularly see the top piston ring land completely let go around the 550+ mark (it is my opinion that this is what happened to Chase's LQ9). The stock Gen-III crank is actually a very stout piece and you'll probably lift a head or split the block before the crank gives. The factory rods are not that bad provided you replace the weak-ass factory bolts with ARP rod bolts, and if you are going to increase stroke and/or rev higher than 6500-rpm you might be generating loads that will require forged/billet rods.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

i agree with you Mr.P.... have replaced a crap load of piston rings on vettes and f-bodys.... its generally arround 550 whp that stuff starts breaking. but its almost always the cast pistons and/or rings. ive only seen one broken crank(on our dyno :banghead: big mess), and it put down like 825 to the wheels :ughdance: (incase ppl are wondering, Biturbo lingenfelter z06 :driving: ). the mid 04+ rods are a very nice piece, and IMO the floating assymbly helps keep things together better as opposed to the press-on. BUT mr.p, i disagree with the block statement. the kind of power it takes to break the LQ9 block (assumming everything is done correctly and running correctly) is absolutely insane

...BUT mr.p, i disagree with the block statement. the kind of power it takes to break the LQ9 block (assumming everything is done correctly and running correctly) is absolutely insane
My bad, I misspoke yes the iron Vortec block will hold up well into the 1000+ hp range; my mind has been focused on aluminum cylinder cases lately, they do not hold up as well as the iron block without a girdle.

Mr. P.