any one have a 9.5" converter/ or smaller tires

Hey guys,

Now that i did the cam and heads my PI 10.5 converter is still tight, at like 22-2400. So i need to get it re stalled, but instead i'm thinking of the PI 9.5" converter stalled at a lose 3000-3200. FLT said the 9.5 converters don't last due to our weight, but PI said they would recommend the 9.5 converter. So does any one have a 9.5 PI and how do you like it. Any problems, and how many miles do you have on it? Did you get any ET gains from it?

Also wondering if anyone is running smaller tires on their SS and what kind of ET gain you got from it. I'm tossing up running the smaller tires to get a better ratio for racing. I did a search on gears and seems like only 1 or 2 people have changed gears, and at least i can swap out the tires for racing and regular driving. I also have 2 PCM's that i can use for my current tires and have a corrected pcm for the smaller diameter.

And does anyone know if the 17" steel chrome rims are lighter then the 17" AL ones?

Thanks for any help!!

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

i toyed with going with a 9.5 converter too but instead went with a 10.5 version at 2800 stall. i didnt want mine to feel loose and lose any driveability around town so the guy who built mine really made it stall at 27-2800 and still be pretty tight. i cannot even notice it driving under normal conditions but when i lay into it from a dig it just rips through the rpms. another option is a mushroom type converter that will keep stock lockup characteristics but imagine a mushroom and thats what the converter looks like. supposedly the best of both worlds. im not sure who makes this but ive seen the picture and it does exist for our applications. also was told it cost double what i spent on my converter which wasnt cheap to begin with.

i decided not to change gears and just run smaller tires in back. initially i wanted to go to 4.10's or 4.56's but after my mishap with my two bent rims i sort of found out that with smaller tires its really not necessary. ive been running around for the past month on 16X6.5 steelies with a 29 inch tall tire and to me its just like running a shorter gear. i definately plan on running a shorter tire at the strip for just this reason. not sure if i can get enough traction without caltracs but we shall see. may have to get those anyways.

I have a 3200 stall 9.5 PI and I think it's great for racing. I don't think I would recommend it for the street only because of the high trans temp caused by it, but if you upgrade your cooler and it's not too hot all the time, you should be fine. PI makes some of the best converters so even with my high stall, it doesn't feel loose on the street. As for the tires, I was thinking about it because I need to lose some ET by March 23rd, but I was going to go with 16" wheels if they would fit. With that being said, for this tire swap to work properly, you need a really short tire or else you'll have the same overall diameter as stock which would accomplish nothing. With a shorter tire comes less sidewall which could cause loss of traction so it's really a catch 22. Good luck...I recommend the converter very highly!

do you run a additional cooler. Can i replace my stock cooler and add another in line? I drive my truck a lot, like 15,000 miles a year, but i would really like the 3200 9.5". Do you think there will be much difference between the 9.5 3200 and my 10.5 at a lose 3000( i think 3000 is the highest they stall them). what kind of tranny temps do you run on the street? or what do you consider a high temp?

I'm tossing up going with 28-29" tall tires on a 17" rim. I think 17 is the smallest i can go with the SS brakes. I'm AWD so i don't think traction will be a problem......i hope

any one know what is lighter the chrome 17's or the AL ones? The chrome 17's are all over ebay for a decent price, but i want the lightest combo...

Thanks

Brad

16" rims fit fine over your breaks. Look at your spare, its a 16.

As for converter, based on your applicaton, I would look into just restalling your current converter. Is it the multi disk lock-up? If you were going to be racing your truck more than being on the street, then yea, go ahead. Just an opinion...

any one know, or have a ratio calc. for what a 28" or 29" tire would do to my ratio with a 4.10 gear set. I'm running a 31.6 right now.

Thanks

Brad

New effective ratio = current ratio * current diameter / new diameter

example: n = 4.10 * 31.6 / 29 = 4.468

Mr. P.

any one know, or have a ratio calc. for what a 28" or 29" tire would do to my ratio with a 4.10 gear set. I'm running a 31.6 right now.

Thanks

Brad

New effective ratio = current ratio * current diameter / new diameter

example: n = 4.10 * 31.6 / 29 = 4.468

Mr. P.

Mr P,

i think that went over my head, or at least so far. Is that saying with a 29" tire my gear ratio will be a 4.468:1? do you reverse that to find out what your current is? n=4.10 * 29 / 31.6 =3.76? sorry, i just didn't get it?

thanks

Brad

...Is that saying with a 29" tire my gear ratio will be a 4.468:1? ...
Yes.
...do you reverse that to find out what your current is? ...
the formula you wrote says to me "if a 4.10-geared vehicle with 29" tires swapped to 31.6" tires it's new effective ratio would be 3.76:1", which is factually correct... what is it again you want to find out? Edited by misterp (see edit history)

i ran a 9.5" converter it stalled to 3800 behind my truck...i did get hot from time to time even with a huge cooler and a fan on the cooler

would you expect the same with a 3200? It's starting to sound like i should use my 10.5 and have it restalled to 3000

...Is that saying with a 29" tire my gear ratio will be a 4.468:1? ...
Yes.
...do you reverse that to find out what your current is? ...
the formula you wrote says to me "if a 4.10-geared vehicle with 29" tires swapped to 31.6" tires it's new effective ratio would be 3.76:1", which is factually correct... what is it again you want to find out?

i guess i was looking for the side by side gear ratio difference between the 2 tire sizes. So the net ratio on the 29" tire is going to be a 4.468:1 ratio and the 31.6 tire is 3.76:1 final ratio. I was looking for this comparison to decide what tire size would be the equivalent of changing to 4.56 gears in the truck. I read that changing the gears is not cost effective compared to reducing the tire size. And with 2 pcm's i should be able to have one set for my current tires size and one for the racing tire size.

Thanks

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I've got a 28.12" tall tire on mine all the way around 275/45/20 and the gear reduction is awsome off of the line. That a 6% change, which is closer to a 4.88 gear if I did my calcs right.

Also helps that I went with a 26 pound wheel weight vs. the stock 38 pounders for less rotational mass. Combined with my TB stall, it's quite a bit peppier around town.

Hasn't been on a strip to know the time difference though...

I've got a 28.12" tall tire on mine all the way around 275/45/20 and the gear reduction is awsome off of the line. That a 6% change, which is closer to a 4.88 gear if I did my calcs right.

Also helps that I went with a 26 pound wheel weight vs. the stock 38 pounders for less rotational mass. Combined with my TB stall, it's quite a bit peppier around town.

Hasn't been on a strip to know the time difference though...

thanks for the reply, i'm checking into rims and tires right now, it looks awful expensive no matter which way i go. I did find some 20" rims that weigh 19lbs though.

Brad