Need to Lose 3 Tenth's By March 23rd!!!

RacerJJ

What the heck is a "square truck cap?"

A truck bed cap or capper...the ones that are flush with the roof fo the cab and have the flip window door on the back with a lock. Some have windows on the sides of them and some are solid.

Good example...what dcairns has on his arrival blue ss...

What the heck is a "square truck cap?"

A truck bed cap or capper...the ones that are flush with the roof fo the cab and have the flip window door on the back with a lock. Some have windows on the sides of them and some are solid.

Good example...what dcairns has on his arrival blue ss...

You mean what normal folks call a "camper shell?" You know, the things that make a truck look like a Suburban?

Mike

imo the best cheap way will be wheels, i lost .5 tenths when i went with the 18's if you could get a set of some 16 inchers since you have stock brakes and some smaller diameter tires. like 27 overall diameter. i can definatly see that helping you out.

Thanks for all of the replies. All of the weight reduction tricks, I have done! I guess I should have mentioned that! I was thinking of removing the passenger seat as well as the bumpers but they both look rather difficult. As for the fella who suggested the cam...that is my next mod but I have no one to install it, I don't know how (more scared really), and I'm afraid I don't have time.

Chase, I have some 16" stockers...can you get me a tire size?

Thanks again everyone!

All I am saying is $800 bones should get the cam and springs installed. I realize its not that easy to just come up with $800 to buy a cam and have it installed. They usually can have it done for you in a weekend.

I've got the money...just no one to install it! California is strict with emissions and I don't think anyone can legally do it.

All I am saying is $800 bones should get the cam and springs installed. I realize its not that easy to just come up with $800 to buy a cam and have it installed. They usually can have it done for you in a weekend.

I've got the money...just no one to install it! California is strict with emissions and I don't think anyone can legally do it.

ive run into the same thing racerjj. up here in northern california Speed Merchant is a very reputable speed shop but they will not install anything thats not smog legal. there is a guy up north called Synergy Motorsports but ive heard mixed reviews of them.

i have to agree with chase, i lost exactly 3 tenths before just switching the tires on my old mercury from 235/75/15 (29" od) to a 225/50/15 (24" od) that was a 17.5% decrease in od... so it affectively turned my 3.50 gears into roughly 4.10's.

and i done this on the same day, so no variences in weather or anything else.

also the rims were the same size, so weight difference couldn't have been much?.

you will gain more going from 20"-22"? to a 16" i would say a 245/50/16 should give you about 15%-20% reduction in od from stock, and that should do the trick...

jeg's has bfg's or nitto's drag radial's in these size's. good luck :thumbs:

255 / 65 / 16 This is a 29.1" tire and (depending on your shift points) will have you crossing the end of the 1/4 mile at 5800 if you have an AWD SSS with the 410 rear. That is almost a 3 inch drop in overall height.

Be ready for differences in Tranny performance as well since your speed will be like +8MPH over actual. I would suggest a reflash to avoid any issues but for a few runs, it will be fine.

Thanks for all of the replies. All of the weight reduction tricks, I have done! I guess I should have mentioned that! I was thinking of removing the passenger seat as well as the bumpers but they both look rather difficult. As for the fella who suggested the cam...that is my next mod but I have no one to install it, I don't know how (more scared really), and I'm afraid I don't have time.

Chase, I have some 16" stockers...can you get me a tire size?

Thanks again everyone!

I don't think the rear bumper is hard to remove. I removed mine to replace some brackets :banghead:

well depending on how much you want to spend on tires,

id look into soem toyo proxes 275/60R16 or the same size yokohama. i havent found any that are right at 28 or a little under, which would help alot but i think the loss of weight with the size above owuld help for sure.

what have you been running?

a roll pan would also help drop some weight.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

Well, my best was a 14.08 on the brakes but that was with a tail wind. A couple of weeks ago in warmer weather and a head wind I was running 14.30's so I figure 3 tenths would probably be safe. Zippy is doing a tune for me that should get me there with the 22's but when I got it back from him, my motor wouldn't stay running and I don't have tuning capabilities so I don't know what the problem was.

JJ,

When he wrote your new tune, did he overwrite your stock tune or write a complete new one? If its all new and he didnt just make adjustments to your stock tune, you needed a crank sensor relearn or something like that. Call him and ask him about it, he would know if you needed one or not for sure. I pulled my stock tune off of my pcm and emailed it to him, he tweaked it, and then emailed it back to me for me to upload so I didnt have to do any relearn...

JJ,

When he wrote your new tune, did he overwrite your stock tune or write a complete new one? If its all new and he didnt just make adjustments to your stock tune, you needed a crank sensor relearn or something like that. Call him and ask him about it, he would know if you needed one or not for sure. I pulled my stock tune off of my pcm and emailed it to him, he tweaked it, and then emailed it back to me for me to upload so I didnt have to do any relearn...

There was no codes thrown so I don't think it was a relearn. It almost sounded like there wasn't enough timing or something :dunno: It's on its ay back to him today so we'll see.