Hotchkis Sway Bars Installed

SEfromTEMPE

I've had a set of Hotchkis bars for the SS laying around for a month or so, finally got them installed today. Our company mechanic Paul who is also a friend put them on for me with the truck on a hoist, which was a great way to go. Here's the highlights of the install:

You install the rear bar by using the U-bolts provided to attach the bar with its poly bushings and bushing mounts below the axle using the curved spacer between the axle and bushing mount. To attach the ends to the frame, SS length "dog bones" connect to a bracket bolted to the frame. The driver side one is tricky, the instructions recommend disconnecting the fuel tank straps and pushing it over 3-4 inches to gain access inside the frame rail. Paul was able to use a special tool to feed the part down along the fuel tank inside the rail and dropped it right into place without the need to move the fuel tank. You have to drill two holes in each side of the frame to mount the bracket to the frame, since there is no factory rear swaybar on the SS. Hotchkis' picture of where the bracket is mounted is confusing because they show a picture of the inside right (pass) side and call it the driver side. It was the round crosstube for the frame sticking out that gave it away...

Anyhow, the front was pretty much plug and play. And the difference? Amazing!

I have nothing negative at all to say about the bars. They don't adversely affect the ride. They DO make the truck corner much flatter, though. the handling is a lot tighter, which makes it even more fun to drive. No squeaking or clanking when going over speed bumps - they're great! Here's the axle mounts:

38748629.jpg

And here's the frame mount:

38748656.jpg

The truck really should have come from the factory this way...

:thumbs::smash::D

Had them on my last truck and will for this truck after I get done with the engine. I personally feel they are the best on the market. On my last truck I had the entire Hotchkis system: coils, leaf springs, front and rear antisway.

Had them on my last truck and will for this truck after I get done with the engine. I personally feel they are the best on the market. On my last truck I had the entire Hotchkis system: coils, leaf springs, front and rear antisway.

Sweet! was your last truck a Regular Cab Short Box?

I've thought about putting that setup on a RCSB.

Had them on my last truck and will for this truck after I get done with the engine.  I personally feel they are the best on the market.  On my last truck I had the entire Hotchkis system: coils, leaf springs, front and rear antisway.

Sweet! was your last truck a Regular Cab Short Box?

I've thought about putting that setup on a RCSB.

No, an ECSB. You won't be sorry. The whole setup comes with Bilstein shocks. I didn't get them. I talked to the guys at Hotchkis, back when they first started the TVSs for the trucks and they said they didn't see much of a diff over the stock shock. So, I put on everything else and got the Eldebrock IAS shocks. My truck handled better than my wife's car.

As far as the shocks, the stock ones do seem a little soft :wtf:

At least the front ones could be stiffer, I notice some rebound going over bumps. You have to be careful, too stiff of a shock on the rear of a pickup can give you neck cramps in a hurry. I had Rancho RS9000's on my '99 SBRC and they were adjustable from inside the cab. :cool:

Archived