Is "Sports Car" Handeling Possible?

Champion201

OK, first off I know, "Its a truck, what do you expect, it wont handel like a sports car" Yes I am aware of that but I'm curious if there are things I can do to make my truck handle more like, lets say my 2004 Monte Carlo SS.

My truck is a 2005 VHO and it has whats considered the "Sport Tuned suspension" like the Silverado SS, it came with part of the B4 package but all that consists of is torsion bars up front, sits a little lower than the regular silverado and it sits level. I also think it included a stiffer shock but I'm not sure at this moment.

I have added Calvert Racing Cal Tracs Traction bars, these not only helped "plant" the tires to the ground. got rid of axel wrap, they also helped out with "Body Roll". I also swapped out the front sway bar with an Addco and put a rear Hellwig sway bar in as well.

Am I missing anything? Should I change shocks, would it be worth it? Or is this all the better it can get. I reallly dont want to lower it because I've heard from countless people that when you lower it, no matter how little, you loose ride quality. Is this true?

Questions, questions. Thanks

OK, first off I know, "Its a truck, what do you expect, it wont handel like a sports car" Yes I am aware of that but I'm curious if there are things I can do to make my truck handle more like, lets say my 2004 Monte Carlo SS.

My truck is a 2005 VHO and it has whats considered the "Sport Tuned suspension" like the Silverado SS, it came with part of the B4 package but all that consists of is torsion bars up front, sits a little lower than the regular silverado and it sits level. I also think it included a stiffer shock but I'm not sure at this moment.

I have added Calvert Racing Cal Tracs Traction bars, these not only helped "plant" the tires to the ground. got rid of axel wrap, they also helped out with "Body Roll". I also swapped out the front sway bar with an Addco and put a rear Hellwig sway bar in as well.

Am I missing anything? Should I change shocks, would it be worth it? Or is this all the better it can get. I reallly dont want to lower it because I've heard from countless people that when you lower it, no matter how little, you loose ride quality. Is this true?

Questions, questions. Thanks

What kind of tires are you running? or better said, what kind of tires do you want to optimize the suspension for?

more - AFA increasing handling without increasing harshness you basically will have to follow the Herb Adams recipie (rest his soul); that is stock springs, just enough spring rate to keep the vehicle off the ground and then overcompensate with huge anti-sway bars. Aftermarket polyurethane or delrin bushings will help if installed in key places, you might consider compromising and keeping the stock rubber ones in the lower control arms. And if you are truly serious about world class road feel, yes you need real shocks not just these crap dampers the truck comes with; I'm considering a set of QA1's ($1000 *gulp*). The good thing with our trucks is that the frame is stiff enough flex is not a major issue. If you want the truck lower to the ground that will help but the only lowering kit engineered for our trucks that is acceptable for the purpose is the DJM CalMax one and you need to buy both the upper & lower control arms + the tie rod flip kit (a lot of people only buy the lower control arms due to cost). I have shared with you a lot of my own handling plan for my truck...

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

i would say try the new bilstein shocks....

I put the new bilstein (BE5-C891-H0 (FRONT RIGHT&LEFT)) on about 3 weeks ago, and they really help. Very firm ride, but I'm needing new tires....54K on current ones, not good for handling, especially in the rain, but one hell of a good time when I'm playing.

Thanks everyone, the advice is greatly appreciated.

First off, I recently switched from my stock 20's with 275/55-20 Goodyear LS that dont handle the power the VHO has worth a crap, to a set of Centerline 20's with 285/50-20 Toyo Proxes ST, which are about 10 pounds lighter per corner.

What are " I'm considering a set of QA1's ($1000 *gulp "

Its sounding like bilstein are the shock of choice, unless QA1's are shocks. How do the bilstiens compare to the Edelbrock IAS?

Also, does the JDM drop mrntioned come in a mild drop, say 2 and 2

Thanks again

Thanks everyone, the advice is greatly appreciated.

First off, I recently switched from my stock 20's with 275/55-20 Goodyear LS that dont handle the power the VHO has worth a crap, to a set of Centerline 20's with 285/50-20 Toyo Proxes ST, which are about 10 pounds lighter per corner.

What are " I'm considering a set of QA1's ($1000 *gulp "

Its sounding like bilstein are the shock of choice, unless QA1's are shocks. How do the bilstiens compare to the Edelbrock IAS?

Also, does the JDM drop mrntioned come in a mild drop, say 2 and 2

Thanks again

qa1's are adjustable shocks. popular in the drag racing scene to my knowledge. very nice and very pricey. i think he means 1000 gulp for the set of four.