BLUE High Beam Indicator

Bad Bowtie

Does anyone else here hate the brightness of their blue high beam indicator light? Man it is freak'n too bright at night time, almost blindingly bright!!!! :banghead: I just knew someone on here has "done a mod" to rectify the situation... LOL!!!

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

I had the same complaint when I first bought my truck. I pulled the dash off and put some majic marker over the opening where the light shines through, it worked. However just after I did that I was told by my son, he worked at a dealership, there was a service bulletin pertaining to this issue. Check with the dealer.

I couldn't find a TSB ... but I did find this ...

GM Vehicle Calibration Information

VIN: 2GCEK19N031354193

Controller: IPC Instrument Panel Cluster

Hardware: 15182141

Calibration History for: Operating system

Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description

15124091 0000C778 1404791 New software in lieu of replacing hardware to address warranty issue with all IPC cluster gauges being inoperative.

15182173 N/A - New software for start of production

16001314 N/A - Operating system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calibration History for: Instrument Panel

15104996 00001121 - New calibration to reduce intensity of high beam telltale at night.

15195646 00003FF3 200523004 New calibration to disable the Reduced Brake Power driver warning.

15187276 000064A0 - New calibration detect a disconnected SBA unit and display the SERVICE BRAKE BOOSTER driver warning.

15182174 00007F09 - New software for start of production

16001315 N/A - Instrument Panel

Well I went to work 2day at the dealership and gave the CVN Bulletin # to my GM tech/buddy there. This bulletin # was a "no go". He even pulled up my '04 GMC vin# and searched that way for TSB's and updates. He informed me that GM Bulletin #'s are always 5 digits long??? The PN was also no good i the parts cataloging. Any other suggestions "Perk03z06"? I saw that this vin# was from a 2003 SS, was this your truck, and did u have this reprogram done on your cluster???

Thanks again.

Well I went to work 2day at the dealership and gave the CVN Bulletin # to my GM tech/buddy there. This bulletin # was a "no go". He even pulled up my '04 GMC vin# and searched that way for TSB's and updates. He informed me that GM Bulletin #'s are always 5 digits long??? The PN was also no good i the parts cataloging. Any other suggestions "Perk03z06"? I saw that this vin# was from a 2003 SS, was this your truck, and did u have this reprogram done on your cluster???

Thanks again.

:icon_bs:

All you need to do is go to: http://calid.gm.com , plug in your VIN, & look under "Instrument Panel Cluster" ... if you want, PM me your VIN & I'll do the lookup for you ...

Bad Bowtie:

Using Hardware ID#: 15182141 here's what I found -

GM Vehicle Calibration Information

VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxx1502

Controller: IPC Instrument Panel Cluster

Hardware: 15182141

Calibration History for: Operating system

15124091 0000C778 1404791 New software in lieu of replacing hardware to address warranty issue with all IPC cluster gauges being inoperative.

15182173 N/A - New software for start of production

16001314 N/A - Operating system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calibration History for: Instrument Panel

15104996 00001121 - New calibration to reduce intensity of high beam telltale at night.

15195646 00003FF3 200523004 New calibration to disable the Reduced Brake Power driver warning.

15187276 000064A0 - New calibration detect a disconnected SBA unit and display the SERVICE BRAKE BOOSTER driver warning.

15182174 00007F09 - New software for start of production

16001315 N/A - Instrument Panel

Bowtie: What makes this information somewhat inaccurate, is I do not know exactly what part# your IPC module is. I would have to have the exact number from your truck in order to provide the most accurate data.

The part# can be pulled using a scan tool ... if you know anyone that can get it, post it & I'll do the search again.

The new software definitely does exist ... so if your dealer buddy told you otherwise, ask him again. Keep in mind, there is no TSB for this issue. So, if he searches TSB's ... he won't find any information.

:cheers::seeya:

Edited by perk03z06 (see edit history)

Bowtie: Please Note:

The post that I made with the data is not organized very well by columns ... in the line that reads, "Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description" ... those are actually the column headers.

So ... to properly read the line about the highbeam telltale:

Would be:

Part Number: 15104996

CVN: 00001121

Bulletin #: NONE (Blank)

Description: New calibration to reduce intensity of high beam telltale at night.

"CVN" stands for Calibration Verification Number

Sorry for being confusing ... :crazy:

PerK03, where does the PN# come from? The cluster from a 2004 SS Silverado should be PN# 15135664. That is what I have in my truck now... And your saying that my dealership can do this re-calibration, or does the cluster have to be pulled and sent off to a GM Electronics Repair facility (like when they reset my clusters mileage to my vehicle)???

PerK03, where does the PN# come from? The cluster from a 2004 SS Silverado should be PN# 15135664. That is what I have in my truck now... And your saying that my dealership can do this re-calibration, or does the cluster have to be pulled and sent off to a GM Electronics Repair facility (like when they reset my clusters mileage to my vehicle)???

The PN# in the data I posted is just a part number for the software calibration. Not the same as the part number for the IPC module that you have. There can be various software part#'s for 1 module #, as GM releases software updates to address certain issues ...

I did a query on the number you provided ... 15135664 ... couldn't find a new calibration that addressed the high beam indicator lamp. :banghead:

There's 2 ways to locate the part number of your IPC - one is a scan tool, and if the 8-digit GM part number cannot be read using a scan tool, use the number from the label on the IPC.

Being that these clusters are for the most part the same, I don't see what harm could be done by loading software in for a different IPC# ... but not knowing everything about the design about the clusters, I would definitely say that this would be done at your own risk.

The dealer should be able to do the reflash for you, though ... it's just a matter of connecting to the truck, and reprogramming the IPC module ...