Moving cross country

fox_forma

bringin back up a slightly old topic but I have been scouting out some decent trailers for my move to AZ. I'm not looking for anything huge but need something of a decent size, maybe 6x10 or 12. I never had to trailer something of this size since it will be an enclosed trailer, only pulled an open 6x12 for my dirt bikes and quads. With a closed trailer what do I need to consider when looking at the GVWR or Payload? I'm a little confused with that stuff.

GVWR is the weight of everything including:

Truck

Fuel

Passengers

crap in the bed

trailer

crap in the trailer

Basically everything the motor is responsible for moving.

as for trailer size, a 6'x12' isn't that bad it isn't so big that it will be unweildy but it certainly isn't small. make sure it has trailer brakes and you have a trailer brake controller (Tenkonsha) and a bigger trany cooler would be a really good upgrade to make before the trip since you are going through the heat towing. make sure your tune is alright to tow with to. thos 22's arent gonna help any but the 6.0L has plenty of power so it shouldnt be a problem. as for loading, make sure that you keep the weight on the trailer not the truck by loading lighter stuff in the nose of the trailer and loading the heavy stuff over the trailers axle(s) that being said if you could find a tandem axle that would help. If you can find one with a ramp for a back load door that helps immensley in loading and unloading of the trailer.

The last time i helped my buddy moved we used a 20' wells cargo enclosed trailer. it was huge, i could stand upright inside it and i'm 6'5" that was an unwieldy trailer since the side of it was huge and i almost had an accident when i caught a good crosswind and the trailer started to sway really bad. If that happens the best way to remedy that is to use the gain on the TBC controller and slam it to lockup and then give it some gas and that will make the trailer straighen out behind you and then regain the controller.

I hope that helps.

thanks for the info, yes I am going with a tandem axle with brakes and I will be putting my stock PCM back in along with the stock rims/tires for the ride. I just wasnt sure how big I could go and be safe. I dont need a huge trailer but just wasnt sure what a safe size would be.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have a trailer if I want it but there is one little problem with it. There is a hole in the upper right corner, everything else is fine but is this really a bad thing or can it be patched fairly easily. I remember our box truck at work had something just like this and all they did was fiberglass it then put some sort of coating over top of it and its been fine.

This is the perfect size trailer, maybe a tad big at 8x16 for what i need but its a 02 wells cargo and has dual axles, electric brakes, 110 hook-up, lighting inside and a good amount of other stuff. Just how bad is a hole like that?

post-6368-1176425840_thumb.jpg