Building a tow beast

BlakAZss

Ok, so I am thinking about buying a 35 foot(ish) boat - and they typically weigh in around 10-12k lbs. I do NOT want to give up my SS. Im thinking that it would need to be towed maybe 15mi and loaded/unloaded.

How much could an SS be built to tow? Im talking the full monte here - Forced Induction, Air Bags, Wheels/tires, etc. I guess what I am asking is what the limiting factors of the SS are, and if they can be addressed?

Dont make me trade for a diesel!! lol

I have a 24' boat and it weighs around 6k-7k loaded , It tow it great :thumbs: When I got my SSS it has a class 2 hitch already on it. I tow a friends boat and it is a 33 baja My SS was moving it like a champ, but I did not put it in the water or pull it out . I will found out this year thow, Im planing on puting his boat in the water this year. let me know how you made out

Mark

I tow a 6k tandem all the time. Power is not an issue. Rear suspension and tires will need attention and for sure a brake controller assuming the trailer has electric brakes.

I went with air ride and sway bars but no change in tires. But for that weight...tires would be an issue IMO.

10 to 12K is too much. You will have problems with the AWD pulling that much. The Vortec MAX trucks are rated at 10K, but they have 14 bolt rear ends, are not full time 4WD, have super duty 4L70E trannies, and engine and transmission oil coolers. They even have power steering coolers.

I think you need to stick to under 7,500 lbs with the AWD system.

Mike

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with a Duramax! I used to be skeptical too... I love our Duramax trucks. I do know what you mean though about not getting rid of the SS. Why not just have both? I have 3 Duramax trucks now including the SS... it's only payments right??? :banghead: haha. Before anyone even asks me why I have that many trucks, for those that don't know, I own a lawncare and landscaping business.

I haven't towed much with the SS, mainly because I have the diesels, but 10-12k seems like a lot.

Here is the Tow Rating Bible

TrailerLife Annual Towing Guides

2007 Silverado/Sierra 1500Ext Cab 2WD Standard Bed 6.0L V-8 with 3.73:1 axle ration and factory towing package, can tow 8,800 lbs That goes up to 10,300 lbs with the heavy duty towing package.

For the 2003 SS it is rated at 7,500 lbs

You might also find rv.net to be useful to study. There is a towing section in the forums.