I'm really thinking about getting/making this...

SilveradoKid

With all the news of delays and lackluster performance numbers, I'm thinking of making my own SS... I'm not the most knowledgeable guy about cars (I'm a computer tech) so what I'm asking of you guys is for information/help/a smack on the head if I'm going about this is the wrong way...

Here is what I've spent the past 90 or so minutes putting together:

1)BASE 2003 Silverado 1500

5300 w/ 285 HP & 325 lb/ft(+$1,495)

4spd auto (+$1,095)

cheap bumper (-$100)

$21,875

2)Whipple S/C (Black)

+ ~143HP & ~163 lb/ft

$3400

3)Edelbrock Shorty Headers

Summit PN: EDL-6500

$280

Dynomax Hi-Flo Cat

$140

Flowmaster cat-back

(dual side outlet)

Summit PN: FLO-17263

$290

+~50HP & 50lb/ft? (this is a (very)slightly-educated/shot-in-the-dark guess of the gain for the whole exhaust system)

I don't know where to start for a new transmission that could handle the HP/TQ, I want an auto 'cause this is going to by my daily driver and a stick is no fun in LV traffic. I don't know what to look for for a new rear end(differential)... would I need a new one or would one of the options from chevy(3.73 or 3.42) be good/strong enough? (I looked around and guessed that a new tranny would be around $1,000 and how does $1,200 for a tough Diff sound? These are average prices I got from looking around the net, I don't even know if I was looking at the right stuff 1/2 the time...) Then the wheels and tires, I don't want a set of dubs, IMO they are for Show and not Go, and I figure spending no more than $2000 on wheels and tires is a good limit, or I'm I delusional? I want a tonneau cover, found one I like for $700 (painted). I don't know what it costs to get a truck lowered, but a kit from Jegs.com is about $400 for a 2"front 3"back drop (plenty for me, don't wanna scrape on speed bumps or lane markers ;) ) And I'd like to throw on a nifty RamAir Hood I found for $600...

These are the numbers I cooked up:

MY SS = ~478HP & ~+500 lb/ft ~$31,890

ExtCab SS = 345HP & 380 lb/ft ~$40,000

Furd Light = 380HP & 450 lb/ft ~$34,000

SRT-10 = ~500HP $ ~500 lb/ft ~$50,000

So, what do ya'll think? What else do I need, where are my numbers wrong? Please help, I am really thinking about doing this and need all the help I can get crunching numbers and giving me facts so I can get a clear battle plan.

Many Thanks,

-Earl

P.S. I got married last Friday so the cheaper I can get this done the happier the wife will be. Thanks again!

Looks like you have your goal set @ a pretty good place...

5 Things though:

1. DONT put "wannabee" SS badges on it

2. You are forgetting about the price for installation of everything. That is going to be quite a bit, probably in the neighborhood of $2500.00-3000.00 on the low end.

3. You are also going to need reprogramming of the computer.

4. You are putting to much faith in "advertisement" hp numbers. You are going to be closer to 430-440bhp with that setup.

5. Problem getting things fixed under warranty in some places.

My thoughts...by the time you get that truck and get all the work done, the Single Cab SS will be available. It will handle better, be quicker, faster, everything under warranty (BIG PLUS), bragging rights, and the most important thing.....probably cheaper than this. Has to compete with the Lightning price (around MSRP 33,500).

If your dealer wants to with your setup they can void your warranty.

Your blower HP numbers are WAY off. Your going to need a different tranny, because you'll be remobing TQM and when you do that and add power your going to tear it up in a hurry. The factory locker is not very strong, you'll want to just get 3.42's and replace them with 3.73's and an Eaton Posi. Dont get Shorty headers, get full length, and redo the whole exaust. You will want a custom coputer program, I reccomend Ed Wright for the job. Your not going to see a 50 horse gain even if you redo the whole thing. Dont forget you have 2 cats, not just one. That drop is pretty cheep, I'd fork over some exra cash and get a Calmax.

Basically i'm doing near the same thing, except I'm doing it with the 4.8 5-Speed (eventually will be T-56 6-Speed). And i'm going to build her into a Lightning killer naturally asperated.

Good luck man

one more thing, is that hood you found for the 03's, if so post a link, i'd like to see it.

thanks for the info, my search continues....

I don't really want to wait another year... or more (with all these delays) if they EVER decide to actually come up with a the reg cab... they might get scared by sub-standard sales of the big SS and decide to scrap the reg cab for fear of loosing more money (I doubt that, but hey, strange things happen) and then I still don't have a new truck, but I don't do this then 'cause the buzz is that since it was at SEMA again in 2003 that will be a 2005 model... hmmm... much to think about... oh, and the reason I didn't factor in pricing of install: a few of my buddies are mechanics at a garage up the hwy, and have said that they would help me set this truck up, the only things that I would have to pay for installation (meaning money - not beer) are the trans and the rear end (maybe the whipple), the rest of it would get done under the table (including a stereo, window tint, and other nifty things that have a tendency to fall off of trucks.... ;) ;) :nudge: :nudge:

With all these mods what would there be left to go wrong (that the warr would cover) and not be the fault of the mods? the latch on the glove box or the tailgate handle? ummm.....

the whipple has a computer interface part that overrides the stock computer...

and I would NEVER put fake SS badges on, I would like to take all the molding off, nice clean look...

and what do you mean by redo the whole exhaust? use different components or do what I'm gonna do but not forgetting the 2nd cat and diff headers? what brand of headers? I just used Edelbrock 'cause that's the only brand of headers I've taken part in swapping...

and a "tad" over 400HP doesn't sound too shabby to me...

This hood says 99+, just was using it for a close match to one for a 2003, haven't had time to do a really extensive search yet. (at the bottom of this page...)

I'm sorry if this is a bit jumpy, I keep getting interrupted by work... If I think of any thing I'll post later.

Ciao,

-E

just like real ones... but they didn't come with the truck, AKA aftermarket badging (like the myriad of TypeR, etc.... badges on Honda Ric-mobiles....) that's my thinking anyway....

... hey Ron, if you read this, think you might be able to set a little something up with the perchase of a almost Base Silv 1500 for a good price ;);) or do you only wheel and deal in the high end?

-E

Is that called"personalization'" or commonly known as custom?

Isn't that what all this is about-make Your Truck Your Way.

That is what I did.

I do own a real SS and wanted that type of agressive look on my truck,so I did my own thing.

I did not try to imitate or copy some thing else.

I would think if some one purchased the OE badges and put them on a stock looking vehicle to give it the appearence of another model it is not, that would be Fake and Wannabe IMHO

to each his own, my man.... as long as the tailpipe doesn't start out the size of a pencil and end bigger than your head and it looks good, sounds good and runs good, go for it. plus I wouldn't want SS badges 'cause I think a naked truck is more intimidating then one with a bunch of flash and flare... IMO, this all is.

-E

Archived