Might we change our rear?

detjoe

I read that the Tahoe SS was going to have the 5 link rear? Is that true? If so would the 5 link give us better traction, wait that is pretty good, will it give us better ride quality? Those leafs just seems dated, espically on a new a@# truck. Any thoughts? thanks

just trying to start some ideas...thinking...

:chevy:

joe

:thumbs:

that's correct, it's already on the full size utilities. the conversion has been performed on a pick-up though, check out the regular cab 2wd black concept ss. it uses the utility type rear suspension.

:wtf: You're kidding me? IMHO, the ride of my Z71 Avalanche is better than that of my DeVille. Coil springs have superior ride quality and offer better articulation for off-road use. Leaf springs are still best for hauling a load, however.

Really. :thumbs:

Maybe it's because I prefer the stiffer ride.

The Avalanche was always wallowing and loafing around. When the camber of the road would change, the truck would flop to one side, then the other. That's "flop", not just "follow the camber". ;) :D The SS is obviously pretty tight.

The more I look into it, I have to give the Av points for it's ability to cross things like drainage ditches easer than the SS. I'm talking about a little 1'x12'x4" thing at the end of my driveway, that I cross at anything other than a 90* angle. The SS makes me look like a bobble-head, while the AV floated over. I personally think it's all in the spring-rate and sway bar though.

I did offroad the Av a bit, but never enough to use all of it's rear articulation. It surprised (and annoyed!) me a few times when I would jack up one side of the rear to rotate tires or something. Always forgot I couldn't jack from the frame back there. ;)

I'm partial to that stiff ride too. When I got my SS, the first thing I wanted to do was lower it a tad, but heck, my rear suspension, as it is, bottoms out on the crummy roads around here just loafing around empty. :eek:

Archived