aluminum vs steel

alright guys we came across a DS that is the correct lenght to use for my truck. a SSR DS is the correct lenght to use for my 6speed & 14bolt setup...i just need to change the ujoint to one that matches my 1350 yoke. now the question is

do you think the aluminum would hold up to my truck or better to us my steel one

to give idea on setup. truck is a 408 with a proshifted t56, strong clutch and 14bolt rear

it should be around 5xx to wheels NA and in the 7xx range on the juice. i plan on leaving high and hard somewhere in range of 5k launches

do you think it will hold?

i been thinking of running it just to get me on the road for now and when im ready to go to track then have one made.......yes i have a DS loop

The aluminum alloy used in the OEM driveshafts is not going to hold up given the shock loads you will present it. If an auto trans then maybe but with a clutch no way. You can get a billet aluminum one and that will stand up, or a "nitrous ready" 4130 driveshaft.

Mr. P.

edit - I would still get the aluminum one, for a spare. And you can have your truck on the road asap, but I wouldn't use it with slicks on the launches.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

The aluminum alloy used in the OEM driveshafts is not going to hold up given the shock loads you will present it. If an auto trans then maybe but with a clutch no way. You can get a billet aluminum one and that will stand up, or a "nitrous ready" 4130 driveshaft.

Mr. P.

edit - I would still get the aluminum one, for a spare. And you can have your truck on the road asap, but I wouldn't use it with slicks on the launches.

thatswhta i was thinking. use it to get me running