Well it's been a while since my truck has relieved me of any money so it figured tonight was as good of a time as any. I had my wife and kids in the truck on the way up to school for Kindergarten registration. I pulled out got on it a little it wound up normally then kinda bogged down a little. I gave it a little gas and thought to myself that's odd as it shifted into 2nd gear...BANG! Felt like somebody ass ended me. My kids thought it was a riot and were laughing as I coasted into a parking lot. No noises, no forward or reverse gears. I won't have time to pull it till next week but I'm sure there will be carnage. Maybe an output shaft or a sunshell? It did shift really nice with the zippy kit and servos and the TBTC. I'll get her all fixed up...just gotta get the energy to slide underneath it and sling a few wrenches.

Dave

I think that I still have park...I didn't really pay attention. Boy I'm glad I don't live on a hill because that would really suck to come outside and see my truck across the street or something. I can't be mad for the trans going out...once you start dicking with a vehicle and adding horsepower and shift kits, reprogramming etc then you gotta realize there is a possibility that stuff will blow up. Just par for the course.

Dave

God I swear it's like a virus going around :shakehead:

DON"T SAY THAT.

In all honesty, i firmly believe the life of your tranny is directly related to two things......one being driving style and the other is maintanance.

DON"T SAY THAT.

In all honesty, i firmly believe the life of your tranny is directly related to two things......one being driving style and the other is maintanance.

I completely agree, however I am sure I broke a hard part that more than likely could not have been saved no matter what. My driving style? Well it was a daily driver till recently and I can honestly say I don't hammer it all the time. The hard parts in the trans had 75K miles on them (RIP). Hopefully I'll only have a few hundred in fixing it. BTW I have changed the fluid 3 times in 60K miles and my rebuild had 15K on it. Seriously unless you drop $4K into a built trans a 4L65E won't live for long behind 500+ crank HP in a 6000lb vehicle. I am content to fix it every couple of years for $3-400 bucks a pop. I do see either a 80E or a 6 speed in my future.

Dave

God I swear it's like a virus going around :shakehead:

hmmm, how strange... my 2nd trans is tryin its best to make an exit as well... all is well though it wouldnt have handled the new found boost anyways....lol

I completely agree, however I am sure I broke a hard part that more than likely could not have been saved no matter what. My driving style? Well it was a daily driver till recently and I can honestly say I don't hammer it all the time. The hard parts in the trans had 75K miles on them (RIP). Hopefully I'll only have a few hundred in fixing it. BTW I have changed the fluid 3 times in 60K miles and my rebuild had 15K on it. Seriously unless you drop $4K into a built trans a 4L65E won't live for long behind 500+ crank HP in a 6000lb vehicle. I am content to fix it every couple of years for $3-400 bucks a pop. I do see either a 80E or a 6 speed in my future.

Dave

I also agree with you. i've changed my fluid 4 times now within the 30K+ miles i have. That and not driving like a 16 year old is why i think my stock tranny has held up for so long. In the back of my mind though, i know its only a matter of time....

• 2 weeks later...