Cam size

2bseen

I am installing asm headers, volant, 3000 stall, and not for sure what size but I think 125 shot. Looking at 221/224 558/561 114 cam what ya think too much or maybe bigger. May do a little head work and put cometic gaskets too.

i just installed a comp cams high lift cam 212, 218 dur. .550,.563 lift and 115 center line. works great with the whipple , asm's , and head work. smooth idle :eek: and comes on good . on the g-tech , and at 4800' eleavation i got 5.6 0to60 mph times 13.7@101 in the 1/4 mile. now for a nitrous kit :D:D:jester:

mike

Oh, the GM Hot-Cam. I LOVE the way it sounds at idle. :)

Both of those big cams can be put in a truck, but I don't think they'd be the best choice. I'm betting there will be a big loss of power below 2,000rpm's in either case. (It's much less noticeable in a lighweight car, than a 1500lb heavier truck)

The high-lift 212/218 on a 115 seems to be a good 'larger sized' cam for daily drivers. I'm a little partial to the regular 212/218 (Comp Cams here), because of it's slightly lumpy idle... :rolleyes::D (Is it due to the 114LSA?)

i just installed a comp cams high lift cam 212, 218 dur. .550,.563 lift and 115 center line. works great with the whipple , asm's , and head work. smooth idle :eek: and comes on good . on the g-tech , and at 4800' eleavation i got 5.6 0to60 mph times 13.7@101 in the 1/4 mile. now for a nitrous kit :D:D:jester:

mike

Mike,

This was on the SS you were working on? Time seems a little low for what has been done, at least to me. How much boost is it running and what kind of head work has been done?

Partly the 114 LSA, but mostly the lobe profile. The higher lift has a more aggressive lobe, which opens and shuts the valve quicker. That means it acts like a smaller cam and has less overlap.

That's right... Someone ran that by me on LS1Tech. Might have been you?

Sorry about that. ;) :D

Partly the 114 LSA, but mostly the lobe profile.  The higher lift has a more aggressive lobe, which opens and shuts the valve quicker.  That means it acts like a smaller cam and has less overlap.

That's right... Someone ran that by me on LS1Tech. Might have been you?

Sorry about that. ;) :D

Probably was me. :)

Archived