Stock Exhaust Removal

DanY

I was wondering if you can remove the stock cat-back

without cutting the tailpipe at the muffler outlet.

If I can get enough lift height on the frame, can I work the

tailpipe over the axle while dropping down the front of the

muffler?

I'm assuming that I would need a frame lift and couldn't

do this in my garage on jack stands.

From past F-body experience, it may just be easier to have

a local shop do the removal and install.

I was wondering the same thing...it looks to me like the driver's side has a flange that could be unbolted, and the passenger side can be unclamped at the same spot. This would leave about 4' of pipe in front of the muffler.

The complication arises when you then try to remove the entire assembly, which has to be about 15' long. And even if you can get it out, it sure won't fit in the bed to be moved!

IMy guess is that it can be removed in one piece if you go forward with the whole assembly (towards the front of the truck) and twist the muffler to allow the tailpipe to go over the rear axle. I am going to find out this weekend.

I doubt it is something that can be done in your garage.

I haven't looked into doing my ss yet but on my 01 reg cab short bed when i went to trade it in i removed the borla split rear system intact and replaced the stock system. Only had slight adjustment with a jack and an extra person to hold on the the pipes after they were slid out the rear and making sure it didn't snag the brake lines. And then again the same thing with putting the stock system back on.

I was able to remove the whole thing with out cutting or removing anything,not even the spare,you just have to make sure the truck is raised pretty high from behind,i used the trailer hitch mount to raise it,then just twist and pull the whole exhaust out..

i just had a hard time removing the rubber bushings that hold it up,so i used grease

and they slid right off..it came off scratch free,now i dont know what to do with the old exhaust,it's heavy and long..

i also put on the corsa,i noticed more power..so it seems like more than 10 hp added than they say..

terry

Archived