Rear Brake Questions

Ron's SS

Hi everyone,

I rotated my tires this weekend to find my rear brakes are pretty well shot. So the local dealer just quoted me $202 for new pads. WOW. That was just new pads, nothing involving rotors. So now that I am going to do the work myself I have a few questions...

1. Are the rear brake calipers on a 2003 SS , twin piston. I hope so cause those are the pads I just bought.

2. Is there some tool need to disengage the parking brake? I read something about a screw in type system, and the post I was reading never clarified if the SS had this setup.

3. Are there any other suprises I am looking for. I mean with a price of $202 from the dealer, I am concerned there is some insane tool and method I know nothing about.

I appreciate any help and advise. I have done brakes on all my other vehicles, just never the SS.

Thanks again,

Ron

Yes the rear calipers are twin piston. I think that price is very high for just pads. I got a set (4) new rotors and Hawk brake pads (f/r) for just under $400. They were a SSBC package, so shop around.

The rear rotors should pop off assuming your parking brake is not on. You may need the tool you spoke of if you use your parking brake a lot and it has worn the center hat. Otherwise, just a simple switch-a-roo.

Good Luck

Barney

Yes the rear calipers are twin piston. I think that price is very high for just pads. I got a set (4) new rotors and Hawk brake pads (f/r) for just under $400. They were a SSBC package, so shop around.

The rear rotors should pop off assuming your parking brake is not on. You may need the tool you spoke of if you use your parking brake a lot and it has worn the center hat. Otherwise, just a simple switch-a-roo.

Good Luck

Barney

Barney,

Thanks for the info. This little tool we are talking about is foreign to me? Is this something I could possibly rent from AutoZone or something. I know I don't own it and don't want to tear off the brakes tonight and not be able to install the new pads. I NEVER use my parking brake, but did put it on this weekend when I jacked the truck up. I don't have a second vehicle so am trying to determine if I need this tool.

Thanks for the info again,

Ron

Where did you buy your pads? [eek] They ripped your head clean off. Retail at the dealer is $71.06.

They're not like the old screw in pistons like most rear disc set ups had 20+ years ago. Replacing the pads will be just like doing the front.

Well I am 100% positive that you will not need any tools but your Lug wrench to take off your wheels and then a T55 for the calipers then the rotors will just pop off. If you use your parking brake often you may want to pick up what they call a "Brake Spoon" or a "Notched Brake Spoon" AND dont get one from that guy that quoted you the Pads. The best spoon made will cost no more then $10. and thats the truth! They are available at every parts store and made to adjust the rear drum brakes on older trucks.

But Trust me if your parking brake works and disengages you dont need it.

Well I am 100% positive that you will not need any tools but your Lug wrench to take off your wheels and then a T55 for the calipers then the rotors will just pop off. If you use your parking brake often you may want to pick up what they call a "Brake Spoon" or a "Notched Brake Spoon" AND dont get one from that guy that quoted you the Pads. The best spoon made will cost no more then $10. and thats the truth! They are available at every parts store and made to adjust the rear drum brakes on older trucks.

But Trust me if your parking brake works and disengages you dont need it.

Thanks again for the info. I had no problem pulling the brakes off and replacing the pads. No extra tools needed. One thing, every thread I read talks about the need for a T55 to get the calipers off, but my caliper bolts were 12 mm, not torx. Just thought I would toss that out there.

Again thanks for the response, your help was much appreciated.

Ron

Is $202 expensive for ceramic pads for the rears? :dunno:

ARE the rear pads ceramic? :dunno:

The rear pads are ceramic from the factory. I feel $202 was very high, but then again a decent set of ceramic pads cost me $40 and about 30 minutes to change. I think my 30 minutes was well worth saving the $162 difference. The dealer told me that the pads cost them $100, I don't believe that though...

The rear pads are ceramic from the factory. I feel $202 was very high, but then again a decent set of ceramic pads cost me $40 and about 30 minutes to change. I think my 30 minutes was well worth saving the $162 difference. The dealer told me that the pads cost them $100, I don't believe that though...

Dealers are full of $hit if you ask me. Most only look to make a quick buck from you and that's just wrong IMO. It's all about the $$$$.