Got my wheels back!

I guess I would have to see them in person to tell if it looks good. The close up photo looks interesting, but the shot of the whole truck makes it look like the wheels are painted black. Photos don't always work on things like that.

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone being honest. I agree with the comment about the wheels looking dirty. I thought the same thing about the zo6 corvettes, I read that GM made them that color to blend in the brake dust. I'm not real sure how happy I am with the wheels. The wheels looked awesome when I got them back from being polished, I just didn't want something that anyone/everyone else had. I think it has a stealth look to it. The wheel color set aside, how do you feel about the centercaps and the rest of my truck?

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a stealth look to it. :thumbs:

I'd have the wheel edges milled to create a small polished ring to seperate the black wheel from the black tire. Your choice to powdercoat the centercap, but leave the small center chrome Chevy logo in silver.

I like the look on the yellow C5:

dal007.jpg

I spoke with the guys that USED to the black chroming for American Racing on their vette wheels and American Racing quit offerring them b/c the finish is not durable enough for daily use. It's one thing to have it on a show car or motorcycle, just not the wheels of a vehicle that actually gets used. The guy that I spoke with said that American Racing lost a lot of money because of them by trying to make things right with their customers...paying for shipping each way, mounting and balancing, replacement wheels, ect.

I chose to have them done the way I did because I really wanted to have them black chromed and this is the best that I could come up with. I spoke with the guy that did the powder coating for me about having the outer edge of the wheel polished and he said that it was not a good idea because since the powder coating is over a polished surface it could cause the powder coating to peel along the edge. He said that the translucent colors go on thinner and are not as hard. In case you were wondering the powder coating was $210 for all four wheels, it's $310 if they have to strip them.

Byron

Sorry, it reminds me of the Knightrider look. I prefer stock to the black, but really would rather have a satin finished billet or regular old chrome, myself.

It does resemble the C5 Vette, but again, I don't like that look either.

A positive note, you won't see to many done like that!

SuperDave :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived