McGaughy's drop, really stiff rear ride, Help.

Jeff B

I picked up my truck about a month ago and it has the McGaughy's 2/3.5 drop on it. It rides really stiff and the rear really seems to jump around when I hit any bumps. I crawled under there yesterday and it looks like the bump stops are riding on the axle or within 1/4". From the pictures I have seen here, it looks like the bump stops have been cut down like they are supposed to be. I jumped up and down and the bumper and it felt like the only thing giving was the tires.

What can I do to make it feel like there is actually a suspension back there?

Here are some pictures of how low it is.

http://home.comcast.net/~baconjb/ss.html

truck looks real clean men. nice looker.

as for the suspention. sounds like someone overtightened the shackles and spring eyelets. this will make a real stiff ride. it won't allow the spring to have the proper articulation that they should. just loosen all 6 bolts up and make them mildly tight. you don't have to kill them, they need to move.

Thanks, guys. I found a post on here just a bit ago that talked about removing the bracket that holds the bump stops and bolting them directly to the frame.

My bump stops are already cut and the bolts aren't too tight. I'll try removing the bracket and see what happens.

I picked up my truck about a month ago and it has the McGaughy's 2/3.5 drop on it. It rides really stiff and the rear really seems to jump around when I hit any bumps. I crawled under there yesterday and it looks like the bump stops are riding on the axle or within 1/4". From the pictures I have seen here, it looks like the bump stops have been cut down like they are supposed to be. I jumped up and down and the bumper and it felt like the only thing giving was the tires.

What can I do to make it feel like there is actually a suspension back there?

Here are some pictures of how low it is.

http://home.comcast.net/~baconjb/ss.html

how did they drop the rear

Thanks, guys. I found a post on here just a bit ago that talked about removing he bracket that holds the bump stops and bolting them directly to the frame.

My bump stops are already cut and the bolts aren't too tight. I'll try removing the bracket and see what happens.

yeah thats what needs to b e done. youll be happier after that , beltech makes some pretty nice bumpstops too. they are alot softer and when you truck hits them its not as harsh . they arent to expensive either.

yeah thats what needs to b e done. youll be happier after that , beltech makes some pretty nice bumpstops too. they are alot softer and when you truck hits them its not as harsh . they arent to expensive either.

I didn't think about using softer rear bumpers. I crawled under there today, but didn't have time to do any work. The bracket is still there and the bump stops are maybe an 1/8" from the axle. Looks like just taking out the bracket will free up 1-2".

Thanks, guys.

Chase can you look at this link and tell me what front and rear bump stop you used

BumpStop

thanks

Tomorrow I am going to install my McGaughys 2/3 spindle and hanger/shackle kit. I will take pics and post them. I will take step by step and before after side view. I will need help posting them though because I have just been a voyer here until now. Question; will I need to re-align with a front spindle? The upper and lower control arms should still be in the same place with the same Camber, caster, etc... The only thing that shoule change is the heigth of the spindle shaft/axle right? of course if the new cast spindles were built incorrectly an alignment would be in order. :confused:

I just installed my McGaughys drop too, and it looks like the rear of the truck sits lower than the front. Looking at your pics it almost looks that way too. Is there anything that can be done to correct it? Or is it just something i have to live with.

I finally got the time to take off the extra brackets. Now the cut down bump stops are bolted directly to the frame. Took about an hour and I didn't have to take off the wheels. In fact I was able to unbolt the brackets without jacking up the truck. Once the nuts were removed, I jacked up the rear enough for the brackets to come free of the frame and dropped it back down. Attaching the bump stop directly to the frame was simple. It is already drilled for it including the small hole for the locating tab. Pretty easy.

I could already tell a difference just in driving up the gravel driveway. I'll take it out for a drive later today and let you know how it goes.