"rattling noise fron 'under' truck"

cadillacbob

Hey fellow sser's!

I have a new noise...

A rattling noise sounding somewhat 'metalic' or similar to a diesel coming from under my truck...

I can hear it when the truck is warm or cold...It sounds the same...

I can hear it mostly in park or cruising slow as the noise bounces off of the curbs...

It is somewhat quieter as I raise the rpm's on the engine...but it is still there...

It sounds like it is coming from everywhere!!!

Any clues or tricks to narrow it down to the source?

It almost sounds like it is coming from the cats, but i dunno...

Like I said, it is very noticeable, and sounds like it is coming from everywhere...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

boB

if you remove the cats you'll definitely have to trick the computer into knowing that they are not there. I had a major problem with that on another car, I ended up putting them back in. I am not sure if cats on the trucks have heat shields or not but that might be also something to check.

Both mine & my father's 2004 GMC VHO's have had a vibrating metallic sound from the exhaust heat shield under the passenger floor. We just kept jacking with that heat absorbing material bending it and such until it simply was adjusted enough and went away.... Check yours out & Good luck! ;)

this just recently happend to me when i got my headers put on. they are in a slightly different angle. i also cut off my tips right after the muffler so 2 of my hangers were gone. this made it rattle against the frame. i just got some plumbers tape (metal stripping) and secured it against a cross member just as a temporary fix since im redoing my exhaust setup anyway.

all great ideas! Thanks...

I will post when and how I fixed it!

Yep Detroit SSer's...I never had a chance to go to the track last year... or meet any fellow ss owners at any rally's...I will definitely hook up this year... If you are wondering, I refinanced my truck, and the payment went down $250...So I might as well keep her awhile...

boB

Went to the dealer this morning....

I have had great luck with them in the past...

I need cats...

Special order...part should be arriving in 1 or 2 days...

They told me to keep drivin'...

andn they had to repair the rear o2 sensor wires...

Thanks for the replies again...

The dealer told me it is not very common for it to happen...

But I did have the stock pcm back in...glad I saved the stock pcm...

I have been driving with the new cats for a few days...

My truck runs 100% better now...I think they where slowly dying...

My MPG has increased +2...

And it runs , idles, everything smoother...better than new...Too bad there is not a way to tesr for cats that are dying...next time I will gut the bastards if they fail...

noticed a rattle under mine and checked it and the y pipe and the rear pipe where they come together are loose and rattle like hell when i bang on them im goin to see my buddie at the muffler shop in the morning

One more thing...

I thought I had a problem with the rear o2 sensors...I had two codes and the light was on...

The Tech did not replace the o2 sensors, he repaired the wiring,,,hmmmmm

Seems like he replaced a fuse or two based on what I read on the repair order...just fyi