Lowering Questions...

So heres the deal, Some ass face that owned my buddy's SSS before my buddy bought it decided to drop the hell out of it. So much the rear suspension was sitting on the factory bumps stops.

As I start trying to figure out how it was lowered so much I did a bunch of research (that ended up being wrong) so I need some help now. We want a slightly lowered stance, 1.0-1.5 inches. Thank God the jerk off didnt de-arch the springs, but here is what I am up against to get it right. The shackles in the SS now are 7.5 inches from eye to eye. The factory shackles are 4.5 inches eye to eye. Somewhere along the lines, a dipshit at the dealership told me there was supposed to be a 2 inch block (which I now know is not true)...the stance right now is what we want, but where do I find a 5.5 inch eye to eye shackle so I can get rid of the 2 inch block and set the suspension up how it is supposed to be from the factory MINUS 1 INCH???

You just want a factory -1" drop over stock in the back?? I have Belltech 1" drop shackles on my truck. P/N 6700 I believe.

Hmmm, okay, that might be perfect, i'll check it out...

Anyone have the Eibach 1.5inch shackle kit???

Also, anyone have the Bilsteins??? Will they work well on slightly lowered SSS'?

Edited by Evil SS 2006 (see edit history)

[quote name='Evil SS 2006' date='Apr 25 2007, 02:26 PM' post='385505

Also, anyone have the Bilsteins??? Will they work well on slightly lowered SSS'?

With only a 1-1.5" drop the factory shocks will work just fine.

But the Bilstein will work a lot better, right??? The guy before put some nitro shock in the rear and left the stocks up front, we have some ride quality issues...

But the Bilstein will work a lot better, right??? The guy before put some nitro shock in the rear and left the stocks up front, we have some ride quality issues...

Your first post you said you just wanted a factory -1" drop. I told you how to get that. What exactly is your goal? If you're having ride quality issues you could be a little more specific or if in doubt take the truck back to stock and go from there.

I don't understand how the rear of the truck was slammed, but you didn't mention the front at all??

The factory ride is what your after then factory shocks will work just fine unless yourjust wanting to spend uneeded dollars on some new shocks. If your using spindles, shackles your not changing the displacement of the stock shock at all in the front and minimal if at all in the back. My .02

I think the front was lowered with the torsion bar keys. Right now it is 1.25"+/- lower than stock and there isnt enough room to get it back up to stock if I wanted to. The front was lowered 2.5"+/- when we got the truck and the inner fender was rubbing on the tire in hard slow turns. The pervious owner left the stock shocks in the front and they need to be replaced anyway.

The rear was lowered with an 8.5" eye to eye shackle that made it sit right on the bump stops. He put Lowering Nitro shocks in the rear.

With the mismatch of shocks, the ride quality is suffering. Bilstein is a superior shock to the stockers and still have an excellent ride character, thats why we are planning on going with them.

There is no C-Notch nor will there ever be a C-Notch in the frame of that truck, not for a 1-1.5" drop...

My only suggestion would be get your hands on some stock shackles and put them on and adjust the torsion keys to where the truck appears to be level and start over. That way you know for sure how far your lowering the truck. IMO :dunno:

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

I think the front was lowered with the torsion bar keys. Right now it is 1.25"+/- lower than stock and there isnt enough room to get it back up to stock if I wanted to. The front was lowered 2.5"+/- when we got the truck and the inner fender was rubbing on the tire in hard slow turns. The pervious owner left the stock shocks in the front and they need to be replaced anyway.

The rear was lowered with an 8.5" eye to eye shackle that made it sit right on the bump stops. He put Lowering Nitro shocks in the rear.

With the mismatch of shocks, the ride quality is suffering. Bilstein is a superior shock to the stockers and still have an excellent ride character, thats why we are planning on going with them.

There is no C-Notch nor will there ever be a C-Notch in the frame of that truck, not for a 1-1.5" drop...

Go to EBay and get the "2 inch" Silverado drop shackles for the rear. Several hits come up searching for "Silverado shackle" in title and description. I put 2 inch in quotes because the actual drop is closer to 1.5 to 1.75 rather than a full 2 inches. To keep ride quality in the rear, remove the bracket from the rear bumpstops and attach the bumpstops directly to the frame.

Bilstein shocks all around will give an excellent ride compared to stock with this setup.

Go to EBay and get the "2 inch" Silverado drop shackles for the rear. Several hits come up searching for "Silverado shackle" in title and description. I put 2 inch in quotes because the actual drop is closer to 1.5 to 1.75 rather than a full 2 inches. To keep ride quality in the rear, remove the bracket from the rear bumpstops and attach the bumpstops directly to the frame.

Bilstein shocks all around will give an excellent ride compared to stock with this setup.

when you do a 2" drop in the front do you have a cut the bumpstops