lug nuts rounded off

Jmajor1

I took my 03 ss in to a service shop to have the tires rotated about four months ago and it seemed at the time that the work they did was fine. there other day I was going to rotate the tires myself and when I took off the wheel caps I noticed that all the lugs where rounded off I tryed to lossen one of them and it did not lossen at all. I called the shop that had did the work and they told me that they could have not rounded off the lugs because they set there torqur for each vechile specs. so what do i do know and could they have caused any other damage to my studs because they torqued them so tight.

please help has any one else had a problem like this.

Tell them they're full of dung. If no one else worked on it, it was obviously them so make them fix it. If that doesn't work maybe try a pipe wrench?

yes they are the only ones that have worked on it, and i have went round and round with the owner and he is not welling to help at all. so now I have to try to fix or have some one else fix it, and I now have to but new gm lugs and hope that the studs did not get striped or streched, I reported them to the BBB but there has been not help ther yet and I need to get the tires rotated asap. but thanks I will try a pipe wrench! I will let you know how it turns out.

Have ran into this problem a couple of times... One time, we took a junk socket that was just slightly smaller than the rounded lug and hammered it on before removing. The other time, I had a mig welder handy and welded another lug onto the rounded off one. Both worked equally well, I'd just be concerned about the heat from a welder messing up the clear on the wheels.

go to sears and buy one of those sockets for stripped bolt/nut heads. i've got a set and used them a few times. they work great just tap em on with a rubber mallet and turn SLOWLY. the more torque the more they grab.

I like Justin's idea best, drive to a metal fab shop and have someone weld on a 3/4" nut to the top of the lugnut. Cheap, quick, painless. Just have them protect the rest of the wheel with a leather apron.

What I've done in the past - use a *sharp* 1/2" cold steel chisel and 5-lb hammer, drive the chisel into the end of the lug nut, really deep but not so deep as to contact the wheel stud; you can then use a large crescent wrench or pipe wrench to turn the chisel which will in turn loosen the lugnut.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

go to sears and buy one of those sockets for stripped bolt/nut heads. i've got a set and used them a few times. they work great just tap em on with a rubber mallet and turn SLOWLY. the more torque the more they grab.

:withstupid:

i use them at work a lot, getting them on the the lugs i use a 5 lb. lump hammer and beat it on. :D

and use a 1/2" breaker bar or impact gun. i know...over kill :crackup: but sometimes that's what it will take

good luck..

:seeya:

:withstupid:

i use them at work a lot, getting them on the the lugs i use a 5 lb. lump hammer and beat it on. :D

and use a 1/2" breaker bar or impact gun. i know...over kill :crackup: but sometimes that's what it will take

good luck..

thanks i will try this and see how it works, but my other question is can my studs be striped or damaged too!!

thanks i will try this and see how it works, but my other question is can my studs be striped or damaged too!!

not likely as long as they didn't cross thread them. the lug nuts are a softer material then the studs. but I've seen some serious GOMERS who can screw up a free lunch, so anything is possible.

good luck

ok... you may be in denial on this one, but someone at sometime has tried to steal your rims... it is easier to carry around a tire iron that may be one size and your lugs are another and they will try to spin your lugs off and strip them in the process... if they werent trying to steal your rims, then someone was trying to loosen them to make a wheel(s) fall off and failed... you should count your lucky stars... and yes i have seen this exact thing before, hence my explaination.

i seriously doubt it was the tire shop... unless you have RARE lug nuts, which is doubtful. just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...
they make a kit to remove stripped lugs and wheel locks, works reall well...I don't remember where i found them though...try an internet search

Thanks i will try this if it happens agaig, and to the ones that said the shop could have not rounded off my lugs , well I finally got them to replace the lugs and they also had to replace all my studs on the rear of both wheels cause the new lugs would not thread on right.