Trans announced its near departure

Which Trans?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which transmission should I use?

• SSR T56 w/ Z06 clutch
    • 4L85-e fully built, yank 2600
    • Rebuild current 65-e for a third time
    • FLT Level V (VERY close specs to my current, broken trans)

title says it all lol. trans is on its way out, it announced it clearly today. stopted chirping 1-2 shift and missed several shifts. it slips very badly in 1,2 and moderately in 3rd. stock trans went @ 2k miles, this one made it to 12k.... its up to spec with the level V FLT. please let me know your thoughts, i appreciate it. thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*salesman voice*

Alright sonny, what I got lined up for you is bullet proof a true performer. A 4L85-E yes siiiireeee this thing will fly and make it reliable. Minimal bracket installation and a breeze since you are already a 2wd. Thats right, hold enough power to make kittens and babies cry alike. You will never have a problem and will be forever happy, unlike that wimpy 65-e you got there....thats broken what three times?

*you* "whats that over there?

*salesman* oh that.....oh you dont want that....thats a pain, you got to put in a new pcm cut a hole in your floor, pain in the ass....who wants a stickshift in miami? In a truck!? I mean thats from the a vette! It would be impossible so few people have done it, unless you truly wanted those one in a kinds....Boy-gee you dont want THAT....

. . .

. . .

I think you know where my opinion stands on this one John :devil:

4l85e fully built I doubt you will be able to break it even if you tried.

I agree. The only thing that stopped me is that I wanted to keep my AWD and didn't want to spend the time and $$$$$$ to make the 85E work with the AWD. :nonod: For the 80E upgrade, you are looking at an easy $5k in parts alone (built tranny, converter, hardware etc.). Tuning, installation and the power loss through the beefy tranny are also something to think about. Many also complain on the dog (ish) gearing,...may also want to do a gear swap.

well i can tell you that if i do find something wrong with it, more serious than a band or some clutch packs...... im gunna be doing some heel toeing!!!! im gunna use a brand spankin new SSR T56, SLP mustang cobra short throw (dont ask, i have one laying arround lol), 07 Z06 clutch and flywheel, and check this out.... the 5 speed pedal goes right in place, already precut in the rubber under the dash and has a dimple to center a 2 1/2 bit, factory 5 speed crossmember bolts right up to the T56, i can use my stock driveshaft, and i dont need a PCM or anything! im so excited about this :P those MUCH improved gear ratios are gunna be nice not only at the track, but on the gas mileage!

4l85e fully built I doubt you will be able to break it even if you tried.

i dunno man..... i got talent with braking stuff. im pretty sure some 20x16 slicks with 550+whp PLUS my wet N20 kit (150-300 shot) would do just fine :jester:

....row row row your own gears ....

hahaha i like that :crackup::D

I agree. The only thing that stopped me is that I wanted to keep my AWD and didn't want to spend the time and $$$$$$ to make the 85E work with the AWD. :nonod: For the 80E upgrade, you are looking at an easy $5k in parts alone (built tranny, converter, hardware etc.). Tuning, installation and the power loss through the beefy tranny are also something to think about. Many also complain on the dog (ish) gearing,...may also want to do a gear swap.

every reason you just said, in order, is all the reasons im not doing it and really didnt want to in the first place. it was, however, cheaper than the T56 swap im doing

A built 65e should do you just fine if it's built by the right person, IMO. I had an NHRA racer work on mine, and while I'm not putting nearly the amount of power to the ground as most, I have had absolutely zero issues. I spent a ton of money compared to the Toy Shop and others here but so far it has been worth it. Just my .02...

A built 65e should do you just fine if it's built by the right person, IMO. I had an NHRA racer work on mine, and while I'm not putting nearly the amount of power to the ground as most, I have had absolutely zero issues. I spent a ton of money compared to the Toy Shop and others here but so far it has been worth it. Just my .02...

i guess i didnt explain myself good enough.... i am a gm tech, and mainly do high performance work. i personally built my trans along with the trans tech i work with, who has been building high performance trannys for over 15 years. we assymbled and disassymbled my tranny three times, because we wanted EXACT endplays and correct tolerances. i used every part from the level V FLT, which i bought from chuck (great guy btw, awesome customer service). you are 100% correct on saying the assembly is VERY important to the strength. but i can promise you it was built as best as the best. IMO 630+ hp is a little more than a 65 wants to hold. not to mention i tow, and she runs pretty hard to begin with.

i guess i didnt explain myself good enough.... i am a gm tech, and mainly do high performance work. i personally built my trans along with the trans tech i work with, who has been building high performance trannys for over 15 years. we assymbled and disassymbled my tranny three times, because we wanted EXACT endplays and correct tolerances. i used every part from the level V FLT, which i bought from chuck (great guy btw, awesome customer service). you are 100% correct on saying the assembly is VERY important to the strength. but i can promise you it was built as best as the best. IMO 630+ hp is a little more than a 65 wants to hold. not to mention i tow, and she runs pretty hard to begin with.

Wow! :eek: That's a ton of horse power! You are completely right, go with the built 85. I hope I didn't insult you...I had no idea you were doing your own work. I with you were in SoCal...we need a high peformance tech arpund here! :cheers: