Trans announced its near departure

Which Trans?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which transmission should I use?

• SSR T56 w/ Z06 clutch
    • 4L85-e fully built, yank 2600
    • Rebuild current 65-e for a third time
    • FLT Level V (VERY close specs to my current, broken trans)

no, you didn't insult me at all. its my fault for not clarifying, because even an 85e won't stand up to shit if its not built right.

I am gunna take the pan down later today, but I have other suspicions than the tranny. for one I know my balancer is slipping like crazy.... everytime I torqued a new bolt on, to like uper 280 lb. ft. (with loctite) it would be finger loose in a week.... so this is just one of my suspicions. I'm gunna make a line on the pulley and crank and go run a few WOT shifts (might add I shift 1-2 @ 6500). if they don't line up, I'm pinning it today.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

turns out the balancer was slipping really bad... it was all marred up and missing material. replaced it and pinned it, no more slip.

the conclusion i have come to is the shift rpm is what killed my trans. its been shifting @ 5900 when it was on stock camshaft (first 7k miles, 440whp) and then @ 6100 (4k miles, 460whp). everything worked beautifully, shifts would go so hard (if i commanded) that it would get sideways going into 2nd.... but then i put the LPE camshaft in, which doesnt float the valves till well after 6500. so i raised the shift points to 6400(500+ whp), and it worked good for a week or so. with the yank, the rpms stayed high, it was incredible..... BUT the increased rpm not only made my stock balancer slip like it wasnt even pressed on, but it killed my tranny. so those of you running high hp levels..... dont shift higher than 6k. its not a good idea.....

so if i do replace it, a T56 is going in :) then i can shift at 6500 all day long. and montana- why dont you think a t56 is good for the track? if i ran several consecutive runs with my current trans (working, tho) and several with a t56 (with my current 3.73s) i would run better times. period..... the 85e would just be slower.....

got the dreaded p1870 today (trans components slipping)..... operating temperature also went up a good 20 degrees under regular driving. then i had a little fun with a porsche. when i got to work, the smell of good ole burning trans fluid was fresh in the air.

yep.... shes dying :banghead::cry:

i was also shifitng at 6400-6500 when i was running high 11's to low 12's the bad part is the truck was reving so quick that i was comanding the shift at 6200 so maybe my balancer got a little out of whack and that was causing my belt to fly off. we will see i have a new balancer now. but if it happens again i will go with an ati.

Just some notes:

I shift 6100 and 6000. I have shifted well into the mid 6000's before. The 65E has its limits at around 500-550RWHP for daily "normal" use. It will hold a few 1/4 mile jolts at much higher HP but something will let go sooner or later.

Your crank pulley was never pinned and you were shifting that high? Crank pulley spinning was inevitable :ughdance: Didn't you notice boos loss at the higher RPM's?

The manual will be a fun ride! Keep us posted on your install (maybe a how-2?)

...montana- why dont you think a t56 is good for the track? if i ran several consecutive runs with my current trans (working, tho) and several with a t56 (with my current 3.73s) i would run better times. period..... the 85e would just be slower.....

why do drag cars have auto transmissions? ;)

they're just more consistant is my reasoning

well i just got home from work..... 6 speed is on its way! :) i have everything i need to install it coming, and its all GM ;) i am using several things from the SSR (including tranny), the LS7 clutch/flywheel, and a pedal asm. and master cylinder from an 07 5 speed truck. shifter (for now, throw TBD) is the short throw GM shifter in the SSR (believe its hurst like the f-body) will have a custom handle paired with a C6 knob and boot, coming out right to the left of the cupholders. i cant wait to feel my truck with almost 8% less drivetrain loss and better gearing! those toyos better say their prayers :jester: i SHOULD have the truck up and running by monday with the 6 speed..... but so far with the SS NOTHING has gone right (always get sent the wrong part, something doesnt work, etc) :smash::fingersx:

montanna- you are right about drag cars and about consistancy. however, you wont find a 65e in anything like that LOL. i know there are some people drag them, but they suck. :)

i was also shifitng at 6400-6500 when i was running high 11's to low 12's the bad part is the truck was reving so quick that i was comanding the shift at 6200 so maybe my balancer got a little out of whack and that was causing my belt to fly off. we will see i have a new balancer now. but if it happens again i will go with an ati.

yep.... you nailed it. my truck does the same thing at high rpm. the wobble is just enough to slide the belt off and WHACK the tensioner back against its stopper and break it in half(at least in my case lol)

well i just got home from work..... 6 speed is on its way! :) i have everything i need to install it coming, and its all GM ;) i am using several things from the SSR (including tranny), the LS7 clutch/flywheel, and a pedal asm. and master cylinder from an 07 5 speed truck. shifter (for now, throw TBD) is the short throw GM shifter in the SSR (believe its hurst like the f-body) will have a custom handle paired with a C6 knob and boot, coming out right to the left of the cupholders. i cant wait to feel my truck with almost 8% less drivetrain loss and better gearing! those toyos better say their prayers :jester: i SHOULD have the truck up and running by monday with the 6 speed..... but so far with the SS NOTHING has gone right (always get sent the wrong part, something doesnt work, etc) :smash::fingersx:

montanna- you are right about drag cars and about consistancy. however, you wont find a 65e in anything like that LOL. i know there are some people drag them, but they suck. :)

sounds sick I'm stoked for you... definetly post some pics as you go and start a donation fund for new tires :driving:

thanks guys :) i will make sure i bring my camera to work tomorrow and throughout tthe whole conversion. on another note i ordered a different clutch setup.... i had to take a blown motor out of a Z06 and noticed that the clutch is recessed in the flywheel, which is like dished. so i remember reading several people who had done the conversion and were using LS7 clutches having problems getting the clutch to fully engage. now i know why lol. so because i wanted to use the SSR trans (IMO it was designed to push a 400hp 5k lb truck instead of an f-body) because i personally think it will be stronger and slightly different than an f-body t56; i decieded because the LS2, LS7, SSR, and LS1 all have different flywheels, that i would use the SSR flywheel and clutch and actuator/slave. i mean, thats alot of power it pushes stock and its not a light truck either. if it doesnt work out i will just use an LS7 acutator that i have to put a custom line on and use the LS7 clutch/flywheel, and most likely will need to be shimmed. hope to see the tranny tomorrow, i will keep all posted

wow i cant sleep i am even more excited after doing some research!! :) turns out i was right, the M10 SSR tranny is MUCH stronger and will shift MUCH better when slammin thru the gears. it also has PERFECT gear ratios, and to make it even better, they are ideal for my current rear end gear, so i dont have to swap it! check them out!

3.01 1st

2.07 2nd

1.43 3rd

1.0 4th

0.84 5th

0.56 6th

3.28 Reverse

also, i learned that the M10 is even better than the common 30 spline "viper" shaft conversions. check it out:

"it has double-cone synchronizers on all of the forward gears (the F-body box has that feature on only 1st and 2nd). Third, the SSR gearbox uses a stronger one-piece countershaft. Finally, it has a stronger 32-spline mainshaft (the F-body box has a weak 27-spline output, which we'd previously broke and replaced with a 30-spline Viper mainshaft).......double-cone 4th-gear synchronizer assembly on the SSR mainshaft........the shifter pad on the SSR tailshaft housing was about a half-inch higher(shorter throw for me ;) )"