Which TC to get?

WITH YOUR SETUP I WOULD AT LEAST GO A 3000 RPM STALL. VIG ARE PROBABLY THE BEST, I RUN A YANK 3200 HD FOR THE 4L80E AND IT WORKS GREAT. I STILL PULL A LIGHT TRAILER FROM TIME TO TIME. NOTHING OVER 4000LBS.

JAMEST

Dude quit yelling...lol turn the caps lock off :thumbs:

The higher the stall you run, the more chances you have of running into a problem. With a Procharger you can run 60's in the 1.7's with a 2600 if the programming is right. A TBTC will stall to around 3100 behind a Procharged SS as would a 2600 Yank. There is a big difference between a custom ordered converter such as the Vigilante and an off the shelf/pre-stalled converter. A 3000 Vigilante will stall to around 2600 to 3000 (they tend to miss by about 400rpm on the low side almost every time) where as a Yank 2600 will stall to around 3000 or so in a supercharged application.

Dude quit yelling...lol turn the caps lock off :thumbs:
ZIPPY LIKE IT WHEN YOU USE THE CAPS LOCK. :jester:

Unless you're running a monster cam, or lots of boost, you will rarely need more than a 3000 stall, imho. I know for me a TB converter will do just fine when I get to that point.

The higher the stall you run, the more chances you have of running into a problem. With a Procharger you can run 60's in the 1.7's with a 2600 if the programming is right. A TBTC will stall to around 3100 behind a Procharged SS as would a 2600 Yank. There is a big difference between a custom ordered converter such as the Vigilante and an off the shelf/pre-stalled converter. A 3000 Vigilante will stall to around 2600 to 3000 (they tend to miss by about 400rpm on the low side almost every time) where as a Yank 2600 will stall to around 3000 or so in a supercharged application.

:withstupid: Well stated. I think this guy know his stuff! :jester: Seriously, Zippy nailed it IMO!

any one ever bought a TCS converter? they look sick

I have a TCS-2800, so does BSER and Chase as well as a few other of us forum old-timers. You are right, holding it in your hand it's a bad azz piece of steel. Works well, I've certainly got no complaints, my converter has outlived 2 trannies now! The stall rating is very accurate, and the lockup clutch has a very positive feel, it engages hard enough to make you think there's a 5th gear. The TCS definitely needs an aftermarket tranny cooler. Performance-wise, my truck is near-stock w/ mail-order PCM4Less tune and launching at 650-rpm in Drive gives a 2.0-sec 60-foot time, I'm sure if I stalled it up to 2-grand first I could probably get more than another tenth out of it. There has been one TCS-2800 explosion here, I cannot remember off-hand whose it was...

TCS2.jpg

TCS1.jpg

Mr. P. :)

I have a TBTC with less than 5,000 miles on it. I overcammed it though. I need more stall with my cam. My 60 ft dropped but my MPH increased since the cam swap. I ordered a Yank Pro Truck 3200 ($945 shipped) it is due to be shipped Monday (they are running behind, I ordered it 2 weeks ago). Dave at Yank said I could tow 9,000 lbs with it with no problems. It is coming with a 36,000 lb Tru Cool tranny cooler (Free for the month of April) Anyway, back to the TBTC, it does fine, it did better before the cam. I tow about 2,000 lbs with it weekly with just the factory cooler and it doesn't get too hot but I would suggest a larger cooler be added. I will be selling the TBTC as soon as it comes out. Probably around $250 shipped.

Instead of making a new post I figure I would post this here... With the help from my brother, I finished installing my vigilante TC and I must say that it is a totally different feeling from the TB TC. It now feels like my truck has a fifth gear due to the TC lock up engaging, Just as a few members had commented. Also, 2nd gear doesn't hit as hard as it did with the TB TC. I only drove the truck for about 20 miles but so far I am very pleased with the results. The truck also feels smoother, but that could just be me.

I have a TBTC with less than 5,000 miles on it. I overcammed it though. I need more stall with my cam. My 60 ft dropped but my MPH increased since the cam swap. I ordered a Yank Pro Truck 3200 ($945 shipped) it is due to be shipped Monday (they are running behind, I ordered it 2 weeks ago). Dave at Yank said I could tow 9,000 lbs with it with no problems. It is coming with a 36,000 lb Tru Cool tranny cooler (Free for the month of April) Anyway, back to the TBTC, it does fine, it did better before the cam. I tow about 2,000 lbs with it weekly with just the factory cooler and it doesn't get too hot but I would suggest a larger cooler be added. I will be selling the TBTC as soon as it comes out. Probably around $250 shipped.

What is your 60' with your converter and cam?

Before the cam and on stock tune, it was having 1.98-2.00's. Now with the cam and tune, it's more like 2.13-2.15's. I just got my Yank today, still waiting on the cooler before I install it though.

i have a tcs also , it is a nice converter and has done well so far. if i ever have any problem with it i will go with a pi 3000-3200 . i have cut some 1.60 60fts with no boost on the launch. and it will definatly spin all four without even stalling it up . with th enew motor im hoping to cut some 1.5 60fts with the drag radials.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if I could use a tighter stall. My TBTC seems loose, and I think it brake stalls under 2k and I will check the flash stall....I have a similar cam 224/.563 @112 and wonder if it will make a difference??? I need to get some times to see if I lost any down low...