Homeless Person Asks You for $$$ ...

Just looking for some opinions here ...

I'm sure that just about everyone on here has had this happen at least once, if not more than once ...

What do you do when approached by someone that claims to be homeless, or their car is out of gas, etc. and asks you for money ... ?

One time I had a guy ask me for $$$ for gas & I told him I don't carry cash, but I'd put $10 in his tank w/ my credit card. (This way, I knew that the money was spent on GAS and NOT booze)

Tonight a guy came up to me in the parking lot where my GF and I had dinner, asking for $$$. I could tell he was blind in one eye, and he promised me he doesn't steal, or drink, etc. He just asked for $$$ for food. Again, I told him I don't carry cash (95% of the time, I don't), and he thanked me and went on his way ...

What do you guys do? :dunno:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They did a story about some people who asked for handouts in Florida several years ago. These people would be on street intersections and such with signs asking for money. They followed one with a hidden camera as he walked away from the scene into a newer Caddy. The f'n guy did not even need money.

if you got no money you got no money, i got cursed at cause i didnt give money once, i try not to carry alot of cash. I did give a guy looking for change in the drive thru at taco bell a few bucks he didnt ask tho i just felt bad for the poor guy

if i see a homless person that i have seen in the area i will buy them an extra breakfast jack or taco . i try to provide somethign they cant do harm to them selves with because apparently they arent capable of that themselves seeing their position. one tim ei did have a guy come up to me and ask for some gas money and i have a good memory. i remembered his first and last name , we went to elementry school together so i gave him a 10. here in so cal homeless are everywhere so its impossible to give them all something. it would suck to be in their spot but you cant let yourself get to that point.

99% of the homeless folks around here choose to be, so I wont give them anything. I've had a few folks come to me at a gas station and give me this sob story about how terible their life is and that i looked like a nice guy and might help them out. I always say no, sometimes they will say thanks anyways and be on their way, and there've been a couple where they say "well f*ck you then".... or one time i had this guy tell me after i refused to give him any money, he said "i thought you were cool mannnn..." (totally trashed)

so no i dont give the homeless cash... however, i do pay taxes :banghead:

ONE TIME MY BROTHERS WIFE WAS PULLING IN TO A TARGET PARKING LOT AND THIS HOMELESS DUDE APPROACHED HER ASKING FOR MONEY SHE REFUSED AND SAID SHE DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING, SO HE JUST TURNED AROUND TO LOOK FOR THE NEXT PERSON. SO SHE WENT IN TARGET AND DID WHAT SHE HAD TO DO WHEN SHE GOT OUT HER BRAND NEW CADILLAC WAS KEYED ON THE DRIVER SIDE FROM THE FRONT FENDER TO THE BACK!!

SO WHEN I GET ASKED FOR CHANGE I ALWAYS BREAK THEM OFF WITH SOMETHING, I LOVE MY TRUCK WAY TO MUCH TO EVER LET THAT HAPPEN TO HER, SHE MIGHT NOT BE A CADILLAC BUT SHES MINE!

the way i see it is with the money they can make in a day then they can buy a razor and a hotel room and take a shower, go apply at mcd's or whatever and start getting back on their feet. the one that always gets me is the ones that stand on the corner with kids. if you can't support yourself then they shouldn't have children. they get enough money from other people so i don't hand out my cash to people who haven't and won't ever use it the right way. call me an ass or whatever.

the way i see it is with the money they can make in a day then they can buy a razor and a hotel room and take a shower, go apply at mcd's or whatever and start getting back on their feet. the one that always gets me is the ones that stand on the corner with kids. if you can't support yourself then they shouldn't have children. they get enough money from other people so i don't hand out my cash to people who haven't and won't ever use it the right way. call me an ass or whatever.

Yea but listen up everyone... i have to vent on this one... i too live in socal and homeless people are everywhere... and just like with everything, shit can happen and does... it is a case by case basis for me...

the fact about children, let me share this story...

I was in my local supermarket one day buying food and crap for myself and in front of me the lady and her young child were buy basic groceries... nothing fast food - the staples... eggs, orange juice, oatmeal, formula, rice, etc... she did not have enough money and started putting things back... she must have been short by about 10 bucks or something and she was very embarrassed to say the least and i felt bad for her so i told the checker to include here items on my bill... she couldnt thank me enough and everyone in line said it was such a nice thing to do... i could care less about the praise... in fact i played it down, but as a human being, i have a *^%&%$ heart... she needed help and i was in the position to help her... not sure about the rest of you but i am a firm believer in KARMA...

giving some lazy ass mofo some money for hooch is BAD karma, but helping a family eat, is always good karma... dont judge the book, you never know the back story... i tend to look at the bigger picture.

perfect example... i was at the golden ox in Pomona when the Toy Shop was building my trans and some homeless guy asked me for money and i instantly said no... i then watched him for about 20 minutes while i waited for my food and saw that he was in need, so on my way out i gave him $5... but on the walk back i had 2 more people ask me for money and i told them no...

I say pick and choose your gratuity... but dont instantly rule out everyone... just my $.02

I was in my local supermarket one day buying food and crap for myself and in front of me the lady and her young child were buy basic groceries... nothing fast food - the staples... eggs, orange juice, oatmeal, formula, rice, etc... she did not have enough money and started putting things back... she must have been short by about 10 bucks or something and she was very embarrassed to say the least and i felt bad for her so i told the checker to include here items on my bill... she couldnt thank me enough and everyone in line said it was such a nice thing to do... i could care less about the praise... in fact i played it down, but as a human being, i have a *^%&%$ heart... she needed help and i was in the position to help her... not sure about the rest of you but i am a firm believer in KARMA...

there is a difference between begging and actually trying. i believe in Karma as well, and probably would have done the same thing you did in that situation. i was raised on food stamps but my mom worked her ass off to climb out of a hole she dug herself into, with my brother and i strapped to her back. judging a book by its cover goes a lot deeper than that for me. it takes hard work, but it is possible to rise up on your own.

Edited by wody (see edit history)