Homeless Person Asks You for $$$ ...

Yeah the "Panhandling" is increadible here in gainesville. I dunno if its true but i have heard some of these dudes make 50K a year. My history teacher tells this story (4 or 5 times) about when he was getting off the interstate and saw a guy in his 30's holding a Vietnam War Vet. sign. So my history teacher rolled down the window and told him that was all wrong he was too young to be in Vietnam So the guy blatantly whips out his magic marker and changes it to Desert Storm lol.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i usually do give up money to the homeless but i have one exception.

there is a homeless man thats been in my neighborhood ever since i moved in. we affectionately call him "tim brown or jeff garcia" as he wears one of these two jerseys every day. now this guy's different. ive seen him multiple times at the laundry mat when im dropping off my dry cleaning washing his laundry. he's always clean shaven. and my barber says he gets his hair cut at his place once every month or so. he just doesnt fit the mold to me. one time i gave him a buck and wanted to see what he'd do. i waited in my car and suprisingly he went into 7 eleven and bought a pack of bologna and a 7up.

so ever since then i always give him my change or a buck. but hes the exception for me.

follow up to this story.

a friend of mine that i played ball with says he knows this same guy and he went to school with his father. so one night about a week or so ago my friend was eating and sees this same guy wearing the tim brown jersey and plowing through a plate of ribs. somehow he noticed a wad of cash in his wallet as he was leaving or paying or something. now im not so sure what i think. :dunno:

Tell them to eat shit. It's not my fault they phucked up. Yeah, I am a hard ass but it's the truth.

I follow the same thinking. Not my fault they are that way and you just don't know what the hell they will do with your hard earned money. They could get a job somewhere but most don't make an effort.

i went to a fund raiser for my girlfriends work last nite. (she works for a gospel mission)

the speaker is a man named mike yankoski. he is a young man who gave up all possesions and became homeless for 6 months to see what the homeless face on a day to day basis. he had a choice to step into homelessness and could step back out at any time.

the real homeless sometimes do not have that choice due to circumstance or sometimes addiction, poverty, etc. he wrote a book about his experience and i read half of it after i got home last nite. it is entitled UNDER THE OVERPASS. it is available at amazon or at mpbooks.com/mikeyankoski

i recommend that book for some eyeopening answers.

the gospel mission my gf works for does a great outreach in our area (reno) but there are a lot of homeless that still get no assistiance.

but how many homeless would rather sit around and let everyone else support them instead of getting out and making there life better?

Homeless due to circumstance; there are choices all of us make to get us in certain circumstances and if we make enough wrong decisions to become homeless, there are places to help, if you have the drive to seek it.

Homeless due to addiction; I've been addicted to many things in my short life and have made the right decisions to get out of those addictions. Also, there are programs to help with this too... 13th step is one here in denver, offers a job and an apartment to serious applicants that want to change their life

Homeless due to poverty; Like I said before, there is always a need for somebodys help doing something, these people have to decide to get out and make some money by actually working or providing something for somebody else. I'm all for helping out my fellow man, but if they don't want to help themselves, F*** em!!!!

Years ago one of the local news anchors did a story on this. He didn't shower for a couple of days, let his beard grow, put on some ratty clothes, and stood at the coner of a major intersection in Dallas with a sign reading "will work for food". He ended up making like $500 in a couple of hours. He said he couldn't believe the amount of people handing him fives and tens. What surprised me was the fact that he's a TV news anchor in primetime on one of the biggest networks in a major metropolitan area, and none of these people recognized him, that gave him money.

Btw, he donated all that he collected to a local shelter.

This guy's pretty honest, too.

post-6112-1178288992_thumb.jpg

Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

I have had a few walk up to my truck while I was in a parking lot or even sitting at a red light. I usually lay my .45 across my chest pointed in there direction and ask them if there is a problem. They walk away then.

That won't work in NY! :D

i have a heart, if i see a homeless person i try to give them a few bucks, or something to eat.

one time i was in burnsville and we were going to eat, i wanted to get a extra meal, and drop it off on the way back, but mf gf said he is always there.....needless to say i did not get the meal and i felt guilty the whole way home....i felt like a **** in a way :tear: