Disagreement with new site post editing policy

misterp

Question

MervZ I am not at all happy with both your decision to implement a post editing policy as well as your decision to try and slip it by unnoticed. I mean really, this is admittedly an open criticism but did you really think nobody would notice? I suggest in hindsight that you should have just published the change in policy.

I appeal to you to reconsider your post editing policy; at a minimum the How-To section. This policy impacts me greatly as I often have to go back and update my posts for technical reasons, many times I have to clarify my directions, procedures, facts, results, updates, etc.

Please reply with your final decision on this matter, what I will do from here depends on your answer.

Respectfully,

Steve Poythress.

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From one of the other 4 topics about this issue ....................

We have decided to put a limit on the time frame for which people can edit their posts.

Allowing someone edit a post at anytime, we felt, only provided a buffer for people to say derogatory things, only to delete them when they got criticized for saying it. By putting a time limit on how long you can edit a post after you've first made it, we hope members will stop and think about what they type, knowing that if they say something that isn't helpful, they can't run, hide, and act like it never happened.

Just trying to insert some social responsibility here.

We didn't publicize the change simply because we didn't want to make a big deal about it. Sorry for the confusion.

We currently have these limits set on how long a member can edit a post after they have first made it.

Members (members with under 5 posts)- 15 minutes

Senior Members- 60 minutes

Supporting Members- 90 minutes

Thanks everyone.

lets just make P a moderator :)

:withstupid: I do F--K Up at times and , I would to fix it to I do not look like an a$$. If someone starts runing there mouth and startin shit , Just have something noted saying this was edit on this day on the bottom for everyone can see. And we all can see the changes . Mark

:withstupid: I do F--K Up at times and , I would to fix it to I do not look like an a$$. If someone starts runing there mouth and startin shit , Just have something noted saying this was edit on this day on the bottom for everyone can see. And we all can see the changes . Mark

:lol: Yeah I'm seeing a pattern here - it's you Silver Birch guys that are the troublemakers :wtf::crackup::jester:

• Admin

Steve and all,

It was never my intention to slip anything by you. I just never anticipated that people used the option so often.

Tonight I have some guests over at my house, but tomorrow morning I'll come back to this thread, read it thoroughly, and re-evaluate the policy with an open mind.

Sorry there was a lack of communication- there was honestly no malicious intent here.

Thanks everyone, have a good evening!

-Zane

Steve and all,

It was never my intention to slip anything by you. I just never anticipated that people used the option so often.

Tonight I have some guests over at my house, but tomorrow morning I'll come back to this thread, read it thoroughly, and re-evaluate the policy with an open mind.

Sorry there was a lack of communication- there was honestly no malicious intent here.

Thanks everyone, have a good evening!

-Zane

Thanks Bro

well i'm glad i was able to put this out in the open so it could be brought to everybody's attention. did not mean to step on anybody's toes or go over anyones head.

So this is why I can't edit my comments no wonder I was trying to put a new link to my video because the old one didn't work and I coudn't.

It's people like you and your example that this really affects. Not being able to edit your post will just have another thread with a broken link. So new people will search, find your thread and see a broken link, then ask a question, THEN the "police" will be quick to jump in and say, "repost", "this question has already been asked", "try the search button" and there will be just a bunch of "helpful" threads with with broken links.

The people who this "rule" should affect probabaly don't care if they get their peter slapped for saying something "derogatory" and they could simply register a new account.

But my opinion is worth 2 chits, because hey, I'm just a supporting member, what do I know.

As someone else mentioned, you could make post editing (after the normal time limit) a privilege limited to members with several hundred posts or more. I think if they make it that far without getting banned, they are fairly responsible with their posts.

Another idea...you could make this privilege available to supporting members only. Maybe more people would sign up and contribute their cash LOL. (I'm guilty...I have not yet signed up)

And I have already missed this privilege myself. I wanted to go into an old post to take the "code" for a bunch of pics I posted of my GMPP cat-back system and add them to another post. I could not do it. I had to find the picture paths and put them in one by one from scratch again.

Just my .02

Mike

Yea, the "No Edit" thing bit me today. I had put up some pics of my new grille pieces using my own web site and then today I noticed my site was down making my pics not appear. Had I been able to edit my post I would have simply edited the post and pointed the links to my photobucket account but I had to reply to the post with the new links. :(

This is what the moderators are for.
:withstupid: When you have someone who likes to talk smack, you warn them, delete their posts or entire thread if need be. If that doesn't work, then ban them. I don't use this option very often, but I can see where someone like Steve would use this, as he often finds new information to add to something he's done.

This is a good topic to keep fresh. I have been on this site for a while and have seen numerous changes all of which were made in good taste. This "edit" rule, while I see the intent, is creating frustration for the majority. I am with Mr. P 100%.

BTW, I still would like to edit my How-2 postes and correctly arrange the pictures that were messed up during the technical server transition.

P has my vote for an additional mod :thumbs: (even though that isn't on the table right now...) :pop:

• Admin

You've spoken, we've listened.

As of right now, the editing restriction is only in effect for the "members" group.

Senior Members and all Supporting Members are again able to edit their posts with no restrictions.

I hope this is a good compromise for everyone. In return, I need to ask a favor from all of you.

Please do not be afraid to use the "Report This Post" button when you see an objectionable comment from someone. We look at every single reported post, often within minutes of them being submitted. Just because we may not want to edit something, does not mean we don't want to know what's going on. It's just impossible for me to keep up on every new thread or post.

That ok for everyone?

I apologize for taking a week to address this problem but figuring out what's the best choice is often not an easy process. I want to make sure any choice is a good one for all of you and the health of the board.