Disagreement with new site post editing policy

misterp

Question

MervZ I am not at all happy with both your decision to implement a post editing policy as well as your decision to try and slip it by unnoticed. I mean really, this is admittedly an open criticism but did you really think nobody would notice? I suggest in hindsight that you should have just published the change in policy.

I appeal to you to reconsider your post editing policy; at a minimum the How-To section. This policy impacts me greatly as I often have to go back and update my posts for technical reasons, many times I have to clarify my directions, procedures, facts, results, updates, etc.

Please reply with your final decision on this matter, what I will do from here depends on your answer.

Respectfully,

Steve Poythress.

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm with that guy.

*** and from the other topic about this *** I understand the reasoning behind the policy, but I think the cost outweighs the benifit in this instance.

Can some one fill me in on what changed so I don't feel like an idiot?

Mike

You cannot edit your posts after they are 15-90 minutes old; MervZ did not address the issue directly, he relayed through wody "We didn't publicize the change simply because we didn't want to make a big deal about it. Sorry for the confusion." Original post.

You cannot edit your posts after they are 15-90 minutes old; MervZ did not address the issue directly, he relayed through wody "We didn't publicize the change simply because we didn't want to make a big deal about it. Sorry for the confusion." Original post.

If the time limit can be different for members, senior members, and supporting members, maybe certain responsible individual members (like Mr. P) can be given an exemption to the time limit, by request. That does create a bit of an administration problem, plus how to decide who are the "responsible" members, but past posting history, such as postings by Mr. P, can pretty clearly show who can be entitled to an exemption. Just my opinion.

MervZ I am not at all happy with both your decision to implement a post editing policy as well as your decision to try and slip it by unnoticed. I mean really, this is admittedly an open criticism but did you really think nobody would notice? I suggest in hindsight that you should have just published the change in policy.

I appeal to you to reconsider your post editing policy; at a minimum the How-To section. This policy impacts me greatly as I often have to go back and update my posts for technical reasons, many times I have to clarify my directions, procedures, facts, results, updates, etc.

Please reply with your final decision on this matter, what I will do from here depends on your answer.

Respectfully,

Steve Poythress.

Yes, I completely agree. :thumbs: I always think of stuff I want to add or change later and I can't do it.

The biggest issue with this policy that I ran into was the For Sale section, when I posted something for sale and wanted to lower the price. It makes sense to do that at the top so that people can see the price has been lowered without reading through 25 posts.

:withstupid: I'm not even sure why you would implement this in the first place.. :confused:

The reason was to make people more responsible with their posts. Basically so they don't run their mouth, make trouble, and then come back later and edit their post and late comers don't know what they said. Without being able to edit the post, the admins feel that a member will think more about what they post before they post it, fearing they will not be able to change it later. ---At least that is my interpertation of the policy

The reason was to make people more responsible with their posts. Basically so they don't run their mouth, make trouble, and then come back later and edit their post and late comers don't know what they said. ...
This is what the moderators are for.

I doubt it had anything to do with making people accountable. Think outside the box a little...it probably was because of server speed or something to do with archiving or programming or something. Maybe they discovered allowing posts to be edited was causing an error or issue somewhere that they couldnt simply fix. I'd bet that was the issue. It would be interesting to hear from the horses mouth as to why though...

I doubt it had anything to do with making people accountable. Think outside the box a little... It would be interesting to hear from the horses mouth as to why though...

I am sure that MervZ is "out of the office" until Monday, I'm assuming he'll address this policy on his return.

Mr. P.