difference between tunes

BlackSS04

how much would u charge if your were out this way? also do u think i should worry about taking my truck to the dealership tomm. about my fan? or could it be the tune after a year?

I don't want to ultimately commit to coming out there this summer because I just don't know if I will be able to make it or not (I have a LOT on my plate), but if I do, I'd be more than willing, and my price is lower than what you paid for you current one.

As to the fan question. If it works with your stock PCM, but not correctly with your tuned one, then the PCM is to blame. When it is on with the tuned PCM, is it both fans or just one?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know how many...i aint very good at that stuff but when i pull into a parking lot after driving in 60 degree weather its very loud and today with my stock tune and its 80 outside i didnt hear it come on once...so i guess it is the custom one after a year it went bad?

i dont know how many...i aint very good at that stuff but when i pull into a parking lot after driving in 60 degree weather its very loud and today with my stock tune and its 80 outside i didnt hear it come on once...so i guess it is the custom one after a year it went bad?

Well, it shouldn't have gone bad... Have you checked your fan relays? The stock tunes don't turn the fans on til the coolant temp is well over 200. Could be that one of the relays is malfunctioning causing your fans to have an undesired effect.

well on the subject of tunes and retunes, i got my truck dyno-tuned this weekend, and the guy didn't ask me any questions about my mods or motro, as a matter of fact before i left i found out that he thought i had a 5.3L. ??????? i was like what anyways my truck drives like crap and it shifts like my grandmothers caddilac only slower. cant wait to get over to xtreme to get my truck retuned.(after i get my new tq converter in).

Edited by morgue41 (see edit history)

well on the subject of tunes and retunes, i got my truck dyno-tuned this weekend, and the guy didn't ask me any questions about my mods or motro, as a matter of fact before i left i found out that he thought i had a 5.3L. ??????? i was like what anyways my truck drives like crap and it shifts like my grandmothers caddilac only slower. cant wait to get over to xtreme to get my truck retuned.(after i get my new tq converter in).

Xtreme as in Xtreme Horsepower in North Richland Hills, TX?

where and what to look for?

I'd look for a relay that's not functioning properly... Put the PCMforless tune in, and once you're up to temperature and the fans are on, gotta determine if one of the relay's isn't energizing.

Justin

Xtreme as in Xtreme Horsepower in North Richland Hills, TX?

Yes, but i didnt make myself clear, xtreme horsepower did not tune my truck the first time but that is where i am going next.

Yes, but i didnt make myself clear, xtreme horsepower did not tune my truck the first time but that is where i am going next.

Nope, I understood.

I was there this past Saturday (as was Mr. P) for the EFILive course. Arvil (one of the owners) is a real nice guy and very knowledgable. He'll be able to set you up quite well.

Justin

actually Mr. P. is the one that suggested Arvil, he was super friendly and the moxt informative tuner that i have spoken with. i hope to do the EFIlive class also at some point soon.

Mr. P -

Send me that serial number so we can get you on your way to perfecting that tune!

And as stated before, there is no one way to make a tune. There are definitely some "best practices", both with engine and transmission tuning, which I know that myself and many others try to follow. But since we're dealing with a set of tools that are only inputs to the equations, inherently multiple methods will evolve to achieve similar results. The difference being that the method that is most accurate will yield the most consistent and reliable results, while those that are not proper (IFR "tuning", PE "tuning", Major MAF Calibration modification, etc) will yield a desired result only in certain conditions.

I hope that as you dig into your software you'll begin to fully appreciate the tools that you now have and use them properly.

:thumbs:

Justin

Hi Justin, I have a 2004 Silverado SS that is stock and I wanted to get a PCM tune. I was checking out Trifecta PCM programming and they use a "GT tuner" that plugs into your port on the under the dash, I believe, but they were using Bryan H. from PCMforless tunes. After reading some feedback on Bryan H. work on am not so sure I want to use them. Can you suggest anyone? I am in Wash St. (Spokane) is there anyone in that area that can do this?? Thanks

Hi Justin, I have a 2004 Silverado SS that is stock and I wanted to get a PCM tune. I was checking out Trifecta PCM programming and they use a "GT tuner" that plugs into your port on the under the dash, I believe, but they were using Bryan H. from PCMforless tunes. After reading some feedback on Bryan H. work on am not so sure I want to use them. Can you suggest anyone? I am in Wash St. (Spokane) is there anyone in that area that can do this?? Thanks

I haven't heard of Trifecta, and thus, don't know what type of work they do. As far as your area, the closest shop that I KNOW personally of is Dyno Authority in Redmond. They will periodically host EFI 101 and EFI Advanced tuning courses there, and as such, the owner is a very knowledgable guy. He does focus more on stand-alone ECUs and whatnot, so he is still a bit new at the GM tuning, but could definitely get you some more power out of that thing on the dyno.

Otherwise, you are looking at getting a mail order tune from someone else. PM me if you'd like more feedback on that option.

Thanks

Justin