job help?

well i need some advice from you guys. this might be a long post so im saying sorry now.lol. here is my current situation. i have 2 jobs. one is at a resturant being a busboy and waiter and the other is a installer/helper at a car electronics shop. what i need help on is lately the car shop has slowed down. not alot of remote starts or audio. we have preety much only done municpalities (ie, firetrucks ambulances and police cars) like we do eveything from top to bottom. but i havent goten many hours. like i call the guy to see if he want me to come in everyday afterschool( so i cant make plans becuase i wont know if im working.) and lately i have only gone in for like a hour or two. i know its tough for him since we had to move out of our shop and use his four stall garage. but at least let me know there problems. well now that the summer coming alot more work is coming with it but. heres my problem. i have a oopourtuinty to get a job at a car parts store. but i will start at the bottom. like clean toilets, stock shelves pull weed and cut grass. and then sometimes delievery. but i get hours and that means money. i will go to a less pay and a boss idk. at the electronics im good freinds with my boss and go to his house just to hangout. what do you think, take the new job or stay at the old one and hope it gets better. i will be 18 still summer so my electronic job will let me test into lojack and see if i can do those everyday(even though i have been doing them for a while). but after putting all thes option in words i kinda made up my mind, but would like someadvice. also im goign to college next year and at the electronics place i will be able to work whenevr i get out so this might be a plus. open for help~~Kyle

Gotta go where the $$$ is ... if your buddy at the electronics place is any kind of friend, he'll understand. That's my $.02

:withstupid: ur young like me, and all that matters to me is the money right now. i work in a restaurant too, and its just a job for us, its not a career so it doesnt matter if we like it or not. ive had friends at all of the jobs i have had but when it comes down to it, its the money that matters. if ur not going to get good money at the car place, within a reasonable amount of time that screw that, stay at the electronics place. you'll still have friends whether you leave there or not. what about your restaurant job? are you leaving there too? why dont you keep the electronics job, and get a better restaurant job?

the resturant job im keeping, they love me there. im the only one who can do everything like bus,host wait cook and clean dishes, so whenever they need anyone im there. but that job is only thurs,fri,sat. and soon im taken bartending classes and will be the bartender there, so i want to stay. after looking at the jobs i will have to do at the parts store, kinda makes it seem like im starting at the way bottom, just like iam a janitor who sometimes will delivery. i know you must start at the bottom to go up, but this is a temp job and i dont think i will have enough time to go up! im going to talk to my boss today and ask if there are any more hours in the summer. and if not looks like i will work with him on my days off.

remember, do what you want to do, not what you think others would want you to do...think about it, it's about you kyle...not about them, right?

i just put in my 2 weeks notice at a job where i have been at for 3 years, I, wanted to move on, and it was a really hard decision, and i took the other job....i am proud of myself for that....i only did it for me and thats a good feeling.

keep your head up and good luck with the transition if it takes place

but that job is only thurs,fri,sat. and soon im taken bartending classes and will be the bartender there, so i want to stay.

arent you just graduating highschool? you cant legally bartend unless you're 21

also forgot to mention. i talked to my boss, looks like i will stay there after all. and if the time comes to leave again ill find a bodyshop to work at. thats one thing i wish i went to school for.but luckly i have alot of conections with the local bodyshops so hopefully ill start low there and learn as i watch. he said we will have alot of ambulances in the summer, and our other employee(we have just the 3 of us) wants to go part time so that will mean more time for me. i think im making the best decsion for me. the parts place would have been nice since i would get a discount on parts. like 10% mark up on the shops cost. but at the electronics place its also a auto accesory store so i get my parts at our cost no mark up and he doesnt care. hes a great freind and we will work this time thing out.

EDIT-read my last post!!!

Edited by 04silveradoclone07ss (see edit history)

GOOD FOR YOU! Very proud to hear you want to work for what you have :thumbs:

Well with what you describe your car audio job sounds like it's dying, you could probably have the auto parts store job and *still* help your friend with his business. Also, you do not want to be the last rat on a sinking ship if you get my drift, it's not good for your career.

Most important lesson here - you cannot let other people jack around with your time; it's kind of a way that they make you their bitch, if they really respected you and were considerate of your time/life they would actually give you some kind of schedule and stick to it, not treat you like day labor where you got no idea if you are working or bumming until the last possible moment. You are not on-call my friend, and you are not a wet-back across the street from Home Depot so don't let your 'friends' maneuver you into that position. That needs to be corrected, or you will eventually start to grow resentment towards this business friend of yours, and you should not do anything in life that fosters unproductive feelings in yourself; it's self-destructive.

That said -

What I would do given what you've told me - I would take the auto parts store job, because you need/want the work. I would also explain to your car audio friend that you want to continue your relationship with him and help him with his business (I assume that is a true sentiment) and that you are serious, in fact taking this other job demonstrates to him that you take care of your personal business and commitments, he will actually respect you more and jack less with your time. Tell him that you need the both of you to make a workable schedule and stick to it, and you'll both make money.

Working at the bottom of the ladder is nothing at all to be ashamed of, it's actually very liberating to take that kind of job because it is easier to leave or cut-back on that job at any time, and when you explain to your friend that as his business begins to recover and he can afford to involve you more you will eagerly put more hours into his business than at the parts store he will more than likely see you in a different light.

My 2-cents...

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

mr. p you are a very wise man. and i take your adivce to heart.i thought about it and talked to my parents for the past 45 mins about this. since they are very close with my boss also (dad is doing a deal with him with realestate) i came to my final decsion. i know i wanted to stay there. but with the time i would be given with the electronics place i would still be able to work there on my days off. like you said i will wait until he gets his bussines back on his feet. so i will take the parts jobs and work at the electronics place and at the mexican place(resturant). so i will work the 3 jobs. im preety much the only kid my age who wants to work 23/7(not 24 becuase i need that 1 hour with my truck lol) its not that i need the money. luckly i was blessed with great parents but i like to work for what i have, everything i have is bought with my own sweat and blood and i wouldnt have it anyother way. and since i will drive to school everday next year i will need more money for gas. i just wanted to thank you. you really made me think diffrently on this and im glad i did. like you said since i am still at the botom at the parts store i could leave without much damage. so i will give it a shot. on my days off i will be able to work at the electronics place. thank you mr.p and thanks guys for some input.

If you want to go where the real money is, youll go to all your major local car dealerships in a suit and all GQ and you get a job there, when your 18 of course. You should be able to rake in at least 2 gs a month on a bad month hehe :]

yep, im glad im taken the job its like a new little notch in my life. and about the car dealership,.. no no. im going for my realestate license also. i rather sell houses then cars.(more money)

Then use this change in life to groom your people skills and make genuine contacts, that will be the best asset in your future RE career :thumbs: And please take one more piece of advice, never live a life where you get less than 8-hrs sleep.

Mr. P.