new speakers sound worse, what gives?

i just put one infinity reference speaker in the door in place of the bose speaker, then i got rained out. so im messing around going left to right front to back, and i notice that thru the infinity speaker the sound quality is horrible....like when you get a crappy download of a song, cymbals sound like breaking glass and so forth....what ohm output comes through the bose amp, does anyone know??? why would this happen? ive been out of the custom audio loop for about 3 years which in this game is a lifetime....any help?

Bose uses 2 ohm speakers. Your infinity's may require more power than the Bose amp outputs @ 4 ohms to sound decent.

Then again, I don't really like inifinity speakers, and it is possible that what you are hearing is just what an inifinity speaker sounds like... :dunno:

I still dont really understand why everyone chages there speakers on a bose system...

Once you hear someting that actually sounds good, the Bose system loses it's appeal pretty quick. The whole Bose system sounds like the music is being played through a paper towel and those tweeters are a joke.

I still dont really understand why everyone chages there speakers on a bose system... but it shouldent sound HORRIBLE, did you use speaker harnesses? If not are you SURE you have EVERYTHING in phase?

Myself included, I always thought it was a nice upgrade, factory installed, from the standard crap. Especially if leasing and only having the vehicle a few years. It all depends, and like all things audio, is somewhat subjective to a persons needs. Myself, I listen seriously in the home, but find the Bose in my vehicle just fine.

Once you hear someting that actually sounds good, the Bose system loses it's appeal pretty quick. The whole Bose system sounds like the music is being played through a paper towel and those tweeters are a joke.

no doubt... but upgrading the speakers in a bose system dosent usually seem to help anything from my experience it makes it worse and is only worth doing if your current speakers are blown. espically with bose Home theator stuff change one thing and everythings sounds like chrap. So change it all or dont change anything IMO BTW 800watts RMS to the front stage sounds GREAT in these trucks :thumbs:

well i dont know what you mean by everything "in phase", but i do know i have the polarity correct. i did not use harness, they are soldered/shrink wrapped the way ive always done installs, which IMO is better than plugs. anyway, i ohmed them out and yes, the bose are 2 ohm the infinitys are 4 ohms, which explains a lot. im probably going to put the stock speaker back in there as the earthquake speakers i have are 4 ohm as well.

heres another situation im having... so i got my new subthump box (which for the price is very nice), i got the shallow one with the amp rack, which is essentially 2 truck boxes with a board attaching them, but contoured to the floor etc etc. ive got a volfenhag 7170 amp with 2 sets of rca's in, so i ran 2 sets of rca's from the pac24 unit (stock head unit BTW), one into the "front" one into the "rear" and started tuning. ive got 2 big ass jl audio 10"s with dual voice coils, theyre older but in very good conditon. anyway, so that being said, i started tuning and i cant get them to sound good. i think part of the problem is that the amp gives me between 4-8 ohms tolerance for subs, and when i have it wired for dual voice coils that puts me at like 12 ohms. so i disconnected the one side and just wired it pos/neg, which should put the sub at 6 ohms, and noticed no change in sound. i cant get any real bottom end out of this system, it sounds SORT of good, but not how it should, this amp is 400x2 bridged....that should be more than plenty to shake my truck apart but its got NO low end. help?

i think part of the problem is that the amp gives me between 4-8 ohms tolerance for subs, and when i have it wired for dual voice coils that puts me at like 12 ohms. so i disconnected the one side and just wired it pos/neg, which should put the sub at 6 ohms, and noticed no change in sound. i cant get any real bottom end out of this system, it sounds SORT of good, but not how it should, this amp is 400x2 bridged....that should be more than plenty to shake my truck apart but its got NO low end. help?

When you're wired for 4-8 ohms for the subs ... you should get 4, or 2 or 1 ohms resistance, if you wired correctly. If your subs rated 4-8 (dual voice), then wire your subs 2-4. For the most part, wiring a single dual voice coil sub is like wiring 2 subs in one. 2 voice coils = twice the resistance, so a 4 ohm circuit should really measure 1 ohm of resistance. (1 ohm is twice as much as 4. 4x2 = 1 ... weird math, I know. But, google ohms law and it'll make sense, or check it out here)

The Bose system is equalized to compensate for the suckiness of the Bose speakers. As soon as you hook up good speakers, they will end up being equalized with the wrong corrections!!! This is why JL Audio came out with this recently: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansw....php?page_id=79

Impedence (ohm) mismatches will account for loudness insuffiencies, which is a different issue than improper equalization.

Edited by torqueaholic (see edit history)

When you're wired for 4-8 ohms for the subs ... you should get 4, or 2 or 1 ohms resistance, if you wired correctly. If your subs rated 4-8 (dual voice), then wire your subs 2-4. For the most part, wiring a single dual voice coil sub is like wiring 2 subs in one. 2 voice coils = twice the resistance, so a 4 ohm circuit should really measure 1 ohm of resistance. (1 ohm is twice as much as 4. 4x2 = 1 ... weird math, I know. But, google ohms law and it'll make sense, or check it out here)

i think that might be part of my problem ive got something wired wrong. im pretty familiar with ohms law, however i really never deal with the wattage part of the equation, at least in an audio sense. i dont understand how you say 1 ohm of resistance is twice as much as 4?? if it takes one amp to push one ohm of resistance per ohms law, how could one ohm be twice as much as four? im not being a dick, im just seriously confused with this system, ive never had this much trouble. the way you say to have the subs wired is how?? really quick heres what ive got and how its wired, ive got

a 4 channel amp. ive got it set up so its 2 channels bridged, positive on channel one negative on channel two, positive on three, negative on four....thats set up correctly for bridged out put, right? either that or it could be +1 -3 +2 -4, im not sure but as far as the amp is concerned i have it set up per their instructions. now on the subs, ive got a set of +/- on either side of the sub, with a jumper across from one positive to the other negative, then out of the amp ive got a positive to the remaining positive, and a negative to the remaining negative. is this correct? this is confusing the shit out of me, i could put up pix if that might help.

ALSO..........what is the benefit of dvc???

ALSO......... should i stuff my box?? LOL that sounds diirrrrty :)

i think that might be part of my problem ive got something wired wrong. im pretty familiar with ohms law, however i really never deal with the wattage part of the equation, at least in an audio sense. i dont understand how you say 1 ohm of resistance is twice as much as 4?? if it takes one amp to push one ohm of resistance per ohms law, how could one ohm be twice as much as four? im not being a dick, im just seriously confused with this system, ive never had this much trouble. the way you say to have the subs wired is how?? really quick heres what ive got and how its wired, ive got

a 4 channel amp. ive got it set up so its 2 channels bridged, positive on channel one negative on channel two, positive on three, negative on four....thats set up correctly for bridged out put, right? either that or it could be +1 -3 +2 -4, im not sure but as far as the amp is concerned i have it set up per their instructions. now on the subs, ive got a set of +/- on either side of the sub, with a jumper across from one positive to the other negative, then out of the amp ive got a positive to the remaining positive, and a negative to the remaining negative. is this correct? this is confusing the shit out of me, i could put up pix if that might help.

ALSO..........what is the benefit of dvc???

ALSO......... should i stuff my box?? LOL that sounds diirrrrty :)

Can you post a schematic?