E-85 conversion,is it possible?

cant you program the tow\haul button to do anything you want? like switch tunes?

Nope, the Tow/Haul button is transmission tuning changes only. Due to the cost of the fuel lines and sensor, it would be easier to just have 2 pcm's, one for E85, and one for gas. Whatever you filled up with, put that pcm in. The cheapest way to do the conversion properly and use the sensor would be to find a same year truck in a salvage yard that is an extended cab, and a flex fuel 5.3L truck. From there you'd just use all of the fuel system parts. Actually from there you could even do everything right. Take the wiring harness out, fuel system, transfercase, and front differential half. Make your SSS into a normal Autotrak transfercase vehicle that is flex fuel capable.

ok NOW it sounds like way too much work.

LOL

i figured new fuel lines, the add on for e85 we saw earlier, and a custom tune. but now im into the transfer case and front diff..

me needs to rethink this,.. away to the black pearl ye bee.. (sorry.. it was on last night)

ok NOW it sounds like way too much work.

LOL

i figured new fuel lines, the add on for e85 we saw earlier, and a custom tune. but now im into the transfer case and front diff..

me needs to rethink this,.. away to the black pearl ye bee.. (sorry.. it was on last night)

LOL, the transfercase and front diff were just my idea, they aren't required for the swap. Fuel lines, sensor, a bit of wiring, and programming is about all it'd take.

I would guess that if I can figure out what ranges the fuel sensor uses you could have a toggle switch for switching between gas and E85.

this kit has that i think.

http://flextek.com/

YEP...

OPTIONAL REMOTE SWITCH INSTALLATION1. Locate remote switch wire. Remote switch wire is wire with three small rectangular white connectors.

2. Locate an existing hole in the firewall. Feed the wire through and into your cab area. Area where wires pass through the firewall must be protected by a grommet.

3. Mount switch to dashboard. Attach wires to switch according to the “Instructions for Installing Your Remote Switch” which is included with the Flextek kit.

4. Once your switch is installed you should keep it off (not illuminated) until you are ready to begin using alcohol. When you are ready to begin using alcohol simply turn the switch on. The switch will illuminate letting you know you are in alcohol mode.

Edited by Bonj87 (see edit history)

Thanks for all the info zippy,I guess since my HP tuners should be on its way that it wouldn't be to hard to upload the gas tune back in if I was in a pinch and couldn't get E-85.I am seriously considering this.

And to Bonj87,I also have a boost a pump with wiring relay's if you want it also.

• 8 months later...

Bringing back an old thread. So has anyone ran e85 in the sss? Also I have a superchips programmer and it would work wellif I just had seperate tunes in for either premium or e85. It is the superchips programmer that is supplied with the magnacharger kit so I dont know if that is possible. More info please?

Bringing back an old thread. So has anyone ran e85 in the sss? Also I have a superchips programmer and it would work wellif I just had seperate tunes in for either premium or e85. It is the superchips programmer that is supplied with the magnacharger kit so I dont know if that is possible. More info please?

If you loaded your supplied magnuson pcm with the stock tune and downloaded the maggie tune,you could in theory use your handheld to extract the maggie tune from your current pcm and store it, have zippy down load a e-85 tune into the pcm,then you could switch them out when needed with the handheld.Allways having a seperate tune available.

Just a thought.

If you loaded your supplied magnuson pcm with the stock tune and downloaded the maggie tune,you could in theory use your handheld to extract the maggie tune from your current pcm and store it, have zippy down load a e-85 tune into the pcm,then you could switch them out when needed with the handheld.Allways having a seperate tune available.

Just a thought.

So what I have right now is the stock tune and the magnus tune. The stock tune is in the programmer and the magnus tune is in the ecu. You are saying to put the ecu back to stock and send it out to have it reprogrammed with the e85 tune in it. And if I wanted to run the magnus tune for premium I take out the e85(what used to be stock) tune and put in the magnus premium tune. So pretty much ill have a magnus supercharger factory tune and a e85 supercharger tune from zippy? Correct me if I am wrong. Will this work and will the superchips recognise the zippy tune as a factory tune? I take it zippy has done e85 tunes on a radix supercharger setup? Thanks for all the help I am just checking out my options and there is an e85 supplier 1 mile from me as well. What are the gains from this switch in power to you guess?

So what I have right now is the stock tune and the magnus tune. The stock tune is in the programmer and the magnus tune is in the ecu. You are saying to put the ecu back to stock and send it out to have it reprogrammed with the e85 tune in it. And if I wanted to run the magnus tune for premium I take out the e85(what used to be stock) tune and put in the magnus premium tune. So pretty much ill have a magnus supercharger factory tune and a e85 supercharger tune from zippy? Correct me if I am wrong. Will this work and will the superchips recognise the zippy tune as a factory tune? I take it zippy has done e85 tunes on a radix supercharger setup? Thanks for all the help I am just checking out my options and there is an e85 supplier 1 mile from me as well. What are the gains from this switch in power to you guess?

What was explained is a theory,Now to put that theory into practice you need to be equipped to handle the e-85 programing,increased fuel supply and so forth....

the reason i brought this up is because zippy and i have been discussing using the supplied handheld for specific uses other than just lying around,I recently sold my maggie and i originally extracted the stock tune into the handheld a few years back,I returned the vehicle to stock and decided to practice what has been stated,thru all the differnt tunes i have used in the end the handheld worked it pulled the modded tune and put the original one back in,And the handheld has a modded tune, so the theory worked in my case.

If I were you I would have zippy pull both tunes and catalog them for you and then start the extraction process knowing you have a back up....he may charge more for this but believe it would be worth it.

And as a side note my vehicle is a flex fuel equipped so it is a little easier for me to switch fuel types as long as i have the components to support it.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

With just the handheld type of tuner you're really SOL if you're trying to go E85 all on your own. To truly go E85 you're looking at selling the handheld, buying HPT or EFI Live, and learning to scantunescantunescantunescantunescantunescantunescantunescantune. I've got a tune on my truck that will handle up to 50% E85, but I couldn't go any higher without larger injectors. Even then, for a daily driver, it's a paint in the butt until more E85 stations pop up.