Debate at work

mungman

as the description says, i am having a debate at work on wether or not the silverado ss is ALLOWED to be an ss. obviously i am fighting for the fact that it is an ss and he is not. he claims that the ss refers to old muscle cars and should not be applied to pick up trucks. he says that they are using it now just to sell vehicles and shaming the ss name. i think that the term ss means what is stands for "Super Sport". it is a performance truck (ie. f-150 lightening, rumble bee...etc) the old chevelle ss is performance vehicle. he is also comparing the term ss of gm vs. trd of toyota or svt of ford or r/t of dodge. i got him with the one from dodge cause they use the r/t on the dakota and ram1500. he thinks that what happened in the 60's and 70's should have stayed there. what do you guys think?

ps. sorry about the long post.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can kind of see where he's coming from, as this argument has been brought up in Pontiac circles with the GTO. I'm an old muscle car freak. Had a 1970 GTO, love em', want another one so bad I can taste it. Anyway, the purist think the new GTO oesn't deserve the name, becuse the car lacks styling. That's true, to a certain extenet, the car needs more to really stand out in a crowd. But the performance makes up for it. If they would have gave it some weasley little V6 I would've thrown stones at it, but instead they gave it some balls.

What did the original SS do? More performance over the standard version, better handling, and specific badging and appearance package. Same as the Silverado SS. So yes, it is deserving of the name.

At least the Cobalt SS comes with an upgraded motor, which is what the SS should stand for.

SS = more power, better than base model...significantly better...

You ordered a Camaro SS, you got mroe horse power, you order the Monte Carlo SS, you get more power than the base model (at least the last couple of model years with the supercharged version, then V8 version), you order the Silverado SS, you get more power, etc. In most cases you got anywheres from 20-50more hp. The only car GM has produced that didnt deserve the SS moniker is the Malibu SS...that doesnt give you more power, or more anything really...

The Camaro SS rocked the Z28 all around, bigger tires, more HP, body styling differences, etc.

The Cobalt SS rocks the stock Cobalt as well, more HP, supercharger, handling, racing seats possible, body work, etc.

The Silverado SS rocks a 5.3L ext cab Silverado in all disciplines, more power, better handling, AWD, body upgrades, etc.

The Trailblazer SS crushes its stock coutnerparts as well. More power, better handling, better wheels/tires, better everything...etc.

The Monte Carlo SS rocks its base counterpart as well. You get a 300hp V8, body styling differentiation, better handling, etc.

The Malibu SS...well...you get a Malibu with like 5more hp and the SS badge...GM failed on this one...we can all agree.

With the above information, how can you say the SS shouldnt be on anything with the exception of the Malibu? Does he want GM to go back re-invent the wheel and abandon what works and is a GM ICON? Ford created SVT, Chrysler created SRT, etc. But GM likes SS and I think alot of the public does as well.

Sounds like you co-worker is smoking crack. The Silverado deserved the SS name plate. Just for the sake of the fight what is your co-worker driving anyways? Has he driven both the 5.3L Silverado and an SSS to really justily his side? :dunno:

:chevy::flag::chevy:

Also, there was the 454 SS truck option (mostly trim changes, no?) and the El Camino SS (396 I believe?). I don't think the first Impala SS in '61 or '62 came with performance options (engine, trans, etc.) as part of the SS package, but were ordered as separate options. I think our trucks represent what the SS name has become, as Black2003SS said, more power... significantly better than the base model. :chevy:

At least the Cobalt SS comes with an upgraded motor, which is what the SS should stand for.

SS = more power, better than base model...significantly better...

You ordered a Camaro SS, you got mroe horse power, you order the Monte Carlo SS, you get more power than the base model (at least the last couple of model years with the supercharged version, then V8 version), you order the Silverado SS, you get more power, etc. In most cases you got anywheres from 20-50more hp. The only car GM has produced that didnt deserve the SS moniker is the Malibu SS...that doesnt give you more power, or more anything really...

The Camaro SS rocked the Z28 all around, bigger tires, more HP, body styling differences, etc.

The Cobalt SS rocks the stock Cobalt as well, more HP, supercharger, handling, racing seats possible, body work, etc.

The Silverado SS rocks a 5.3L ext cab Silverado in all disciplines, more power, better handling, AWD, body upgrades, etc.

The Trailblazer SS crushes its stock coutnerparts as well. More power, better handling, better wheels/tires, better everything...etc.

The Monte Carlo SS rocks its base counterpart as well. You get a 300hp V8, body styling differentiation, better handling, etc.

The Malibu SS...well...you get a Malibu with like 5more hp and the SS badge...GM failed on this one...we can all agree.

With the above information, how can you say the SS shouldnt be on anything with the exception of the Malibu? Does he want GM to go back re-invent the wheel and abandon what works and is a GM ICON? Ford created SVT, Chrysler created SRT, etc. But GM likes SS and I think alot of the public does as well.

:withstupid:

But based on what you said about the Silverado SS... then what's the difference between the SS and the VMax?!? You get the same engine... just have a few added extras.. (like said malibu)

Sounds like you co-worker is smoking crack. The Silverado deserved the SS name plate. Just for the sake of the fight what is your co-worker driving anyways? Has he driven both the 5.3L Silverado and an SSS to really justily his side? :dunno:

:chevy::flag::chevy:

He is a chevy guy with a goodwrench jacket that drives a 97 taurus station wagon and an '06 kawasaki ZX10R. he hasn't driven either of the two. he is just living in the past. he HAD a '70 chevelle SS and regrets selling.

Short answer = yes, the SSS is a Super Sport.

"SS" doesn't just mean "race car"; it is Chevrolet's effort to deliver "blue-collar luxury" combined with honest performance and I think the 2003-2005 SSS's and the SSI are a genuine effort on GM's part. I think the Chevelle SS is a poor benchmark, the SSS trucks have a lineage more in keeping with the original full-sized mid-60's SS Impalas actually - full-sized luxury with good performance and great performance potential. These trucks came basically fully loaded (only having a couple extra available options) and have proven a very capable performance platform - hell for the last 4 years the best heads you could put on your Gen-III motor were LQ9 heads (we have L92's now :smash: ). I'll say it this way - my SSS runs just as hard as an old Chevelle on the street and is a damn-sight nicer IMO and even gets a little better mileage.

Mr. P.

When I think of a Old SS I think of a Chevelle, a big car with a lot of options and luxuries, big engine, more power, "hey look at me" styling.

Come to think of it.....thats sound a lot like the silverado ss

Short answer = yes, the SSS is a Super Sport.

"SS" doesn't just mean "race car"; it is Chevrolet's effort to deliver "blue-collar luxury" combined with honest performance and I think the 2003-2005 SSS's and the SSI are a genuine effort on GM's part.

Mr. P.

What about 06-07 SSS :tear: