snow tires

FalconPilot

I have been driving the SS in snow since winter started. I was starting to worry if I could make it throught the snow season in HicksVille, NY where they plow when they feel like it. The stock tires were on top of the slush and snow all the time! At the speeds I drive it was unacceptable. The truck would go, but stoping was a problem.

Well, in comes the Bridgestone Winter Duelers p265/75/16s (same size as the spair.) Got a set of cheep 16" steel wheels.

WOW!!! what a difference. I put snow tires on my wifes mustang many years ago, and it was the same feeling.

For those of you thinking about getting snow tires, all I can say is you spent around 35,000 for a great truck. Invest in a good set of snow tires, and be safe in the winter.

Can't say enough about the snow tires. Yes, the SS looks weard with the black 16"ers, but the ability to go anywhere I want is worth it!

Chad

I have also been on snows for the past month or so. I picked up a set of 'take offs' - 16" painted aluminum rims off of a Suburban, mounted 4 Goodyear 265/75 Wranglers, and haven't had a bit of trouble. The narrower tire doesn't look as good, but it bites into the slop much better. The 20" rims are not going to be detroyed by the salt either.

Don

Did not want the industrial dose of calcium they flood :puke: the roads with here in Canada to ruin the finish on my wheels.

Put 4 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer snows on OEM GM Silver Rims and picked up center caps and nut covers on E-Bay. This size matches 20" stock diameter.

( :crazy: Wal-Mart has the same wheels for $30.00 cheaper than trade price at dealer.)

:rolleyes: SNOW TIRES 101.

Snow tires not only allow you to preserve your wheels from winter damage

- They are made of a softer formulated compound that stays soft even in extreme cold weather

Thus giving you incredible traction on ice while the special thread patterns disperse the snow from the tire. Compare it Like using a snowblower to clear your laneway instead of a small shovel, much more effecient. (and you take off :devil: much faster from dead stop).

The OEM tires can do pretty well but the snows are worth the investment... :thumbs:

So if I could only figure out how to keep it clean all the time...

Happy Motoring

Dr Mike :cool:

HOWEVER CAUTION,

- They also wear like hot butter on :pop: popcorn when the weather gets hotter

Remove them as soon as the snow starts to clear and they have stopped spreading calcium in order to use them for many seasons

Archived