I spent all weekend underneath a '04 Joe Gibbs truck, and the front 1/3rd of the frame is very different from the AWD/4x4 frame. I agree that anything can be made possible, but I'm starting to wonder about the feasibility of this. Next opportunity I get I'm going to actually get both trucks in the air side-by-side and see if the diff can be swapped in to the 2WD truck...

Mr. P.

Hey Mr. P,

That would be greatly appreciated if you did get a chance to take a look at the two side by side. I don’t have the 06 yet nor do I have the facilities to compare the two if I did. It would be nice to find out for sure if this will work. I don’t want to spend that kind of money on a new truck if I can’t get what I want.

Let me know what you find out!

Also, thanks to all of you who have added their input on this!

Yeah, that would be nice if the frame from my truck wasn't trashed. Matter of fact, that was the key factor in it being totaled. :(

Actually, If it weren't for the frame damage, I'de be driving it!

didnt know there was frame damage.

I haven't been up close to a 2wd SS, But the all VHO's I've seen all have torsion bars like the 4wd/awd trucks do. My guess is GM certified the 6.0L's for only one 1/2 ton chassis and stuck with it. To me it would have been nice to have had the coil spring front for a better ride.

I haven't been up close to a 2wd SS, But the all VHO's I've seen all have torsion bars like the 4wd/awd trucks do. My guess is GM certified the 6.0L's for only one 1/2 ton chassis and stuck with it. To me it would have been nice to have had the coil spring front for a better ride.

Now that you mention it, I think this is the big decider - the '04 Joe Gibbs truck that I saw had coil springs, and the front 1/3rd of the frame was different than my truck. The highest possiblity of a swap would be between a torsion bar AWD and torsion bar 2WD...

Mr. P. :)

didnt know there was frame damage.

Yeah, there was quite a bit of damage to the whole truck.......front to rear on the passenger side.

I posted pics of my poor baby some where on here. I just can't remember wher and can't seem to find them at the moment.

It was a pretty sad sight and yes, I cried! :banghead:

Knowing that, it may be an easier swap than I originally thought.

Now that you mention it, I think this is the big decider - the '04 Joe Gibbs truck that I saw had coil springs, and the front 1/3rd of the frame was different than my truck. The highest possiblity of a swap would be between a torsion bar AWD and torsion bar 2WD...

Mr. P. :)

Okay parts gurus, so what's the answer here? I have a bone-stock 2WD 1/2 ton. It's an LS and has the torsion bar suspension set-up. Did GM offer a choice in '04 between springs and bars?

Okay parts gurus, so what's the answer here? I have a bone-stock 2WD 1/2 ton. It's an LS and has the torsion bar suspension set-up. Did GM offer a choice in '04 between springs and bars?
We just updated our parts catalog, and we're finding a lot of incomplete information in it. I know that the 4.3, 4.8, and 5.3 1/2 ton 2WD regular and extended cabs use coil springs with rack and pinion steering. 4WD, 3/4 ton and larger, and full sized SUVs use torsion bars with recirculating ball steering. Basically, any heavier duty application uses torsion bars. It may be that any truck with a 6.0 is considered a heavier application, so it uses bars. I have never looked under a 2WD SS or VHO, so I'm curious to know, but it seems that the responses here point to bars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any one know what would be needed to convert a 99 4wd to awd I have torsion bars. 3:73 gears. I have dreamed of this for a long time. Part numbers would be nice also. I think all I need is the right transfer case like the one from the C3 truck.

Any one know what would be needed to convert a 99 4wd to awd I have torsion bars. 3:73 gears. I have dreamed of this for a long time. Part numbers would be nice also. I think all I need is the right transfer case like the one from the C3 truck.
I would think all you would need is the NVG149 transfer case. It was used in Sierra C3, SS, 02 and up Escalade.