10 sec. capable transmission

In gm high-tech performance magazine, they did a report on the 4l-60E,4l-65E,4l-80E,etc. They talked about the problems people are having with the transmissions when they do modifications to their vehicles. So they told about a company called Century Transmissions. In the magazine they rebuilt a 4L-60E. They said they can do this to any GM transmission and the transmission after the rebuild can reliably handle a 10 sec. car or truck.They complete the rebuild with a custom shift kit and the servo.You can add a custom torque converter for extra $. They stand behind their work and guarentee it. The bad news is, it'll set you back about 2 grand. If you have the money and want to quote "bomb proof" your transmission-check them out. The website is www.centurytransmission.com They're located in Richmond, Texas :chevy:

That's cool. :thumbs:

That seems to be the going rate for those super 4L60/5's. Funny thing is, the Chevy dealer I got mu truck from, was trying to sell me on the extended waranty. The pulled the "We're all mechanical idiots who can't change our own oil" card on me. They started quoting prices of tranny and transfer cases and the labor to install. They told me $2500 for a 4L60, and a grand to swap. I told them if the tranny goes, I'll buy a race prepped one for 2K, and put it in myself. :rolleyes: There was just an awkward silence, and they moved on.

Finish Line Performance also builds a Level 5 which is rated for about the same duty.

Where do you get that GM magazine? I gotta sign up!

no offense was directed by my comment. as viperkiller stated, we have some preferred vendors and those that aren't we try to only keep them as a mention. some exceptions such as nelson performance have been made since the owner (farmtruc) has been very helpfull at times. i personally build my own transmissions and wouldn't run into a problem with mine. if it broke i'd have it out, repaired, and back in within a pretty short period of time. i don't want to stop anyone from mentioning where they had good service though. one of our members brought his truck there and has so far been happy with it. something like that gets and honerable mention, but it's hard to give them more than that if we expect any trans company to be a vendor advertised on here. we're really about having fun here and i'm not trying to deter you from having fun also. enjoy the site man. :thumbs:

If you have the money and want to quote "bomb proof" your transmission-check them out.

If your looking for a good Trans call FLP :chevy: But a "Bomb" proof 10 sec tranny :jester::jester::jester: Anyone who promises that I'd be very suspicious of :smash:

They said they can do this to any GM transmission and the transmission after the rebuild can reliably handle a 10 sec. car or truck.

Bla... Bla.. Ha.. Ha... Ha... Sure... Mine still works but moving 5500 pounds in 10 or 11 seconds and nothing is going to last forever :D Yet

Chuck at FLP got a new Transmisson Dyno so he will be ready when all your Radix and NO2 trucks start having the trannies crap out :P He will be able to load them up on the dyno instead of having to run them in a vehicle. That should speed the process of R&D by a factor of 10 :cheers: I'm predicting a rash of Transmission failures in the SS membership this spring....

I've seen it in the future just look into my crystal ball :jester:

psychic.gif

both century and flp do a fine job at building them. i think flp does a bit more r&d on them, but either are nice. during a conversation i had with rossler who is another big dog in the trans area they stated getting the clutches and band to hold up in them isn't nearly as difficult as getting the hard parts to stop from twisting in half. i believe the have the fastest 4L60E pass recorded, although that doesn't mean that they are the best, they've just been successfull. unfortunatly in stock form they are gong to start dropping like flies around spring (i deffinitly agree with ya mn). the bigger problem the fast one's are going to run into is the shifts, getting a 4L65E to hold up to over 500hp isn't going to be a smooth shifter. i've spent about the last 3 or so years digging into them to find out what keeps them together under serious power and there aren't many secrets, just personal r&t (replacement and trial for me). i do finally have a nice 4L60E core to go through now, what to do with it once i get done will be baffling, but hopefully it'll help the do-it-yourselfer's.

• 2 weeks later...
In gm high-tech performance magazine, they did a report on the 4l-60E,4l-65E,4l-80E,etc. They talked about the problems people are having with the transmissions when they do modifications to their vehicles. So they told about a company called Century Transmissions. In the magazine they rebuilt a 4L-60E. They said they can do this to any GM transmission and the transmission after the rebuild can reliably handle a 10 sec. car or truck.They complete the rebuild with a custom shift kit and the servo.You can add a custom torque converter for extra $. They stand behind their work and guarentee it. The bad news is, it'll set you back about 2 grand. If you have the money and want to quote "bomb proof" your transmission-check them out. The website is www.centurytransmission.com They're located in Richmond, Texas :chevy:

they are next door to my house... :thumbs:

Archived