oil

kaos

I use conventional Quaker State 5W30 and a Delco PF46 filter.....change it every 2500 miles.cartman.gif

I just switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic and am still using an AC Delco PF46 filter, gonna change it every 3,000 miles..........:chevy:

the piston rings wont seat correctly with synthetic. the conventional help break them in properly from what ive read.

The Corvettes come with Mobile 1 from the factory, no? :confused: Are they broke in with synthetic?

I too have read all the info on this and the theory(s). There is evidence on both sides. For me, I would use conventional because who wants to spend $7/ qt. for a 1 hr cam break in and then another $7 / qt for the next short break in period. The data I read stated the same about the piston rings as well as cam bearings.

BTW, I am just about to switch to AmsOil from Mobile 1. ...finally taking the plunge. :ughdance:

anyone heard anything about using Bosch maxi-life (i think) oil filters? A mechanic that works on our construction equipment has a couple of avalanches and he swears by them. He was trying to tell me that the quality of the filter is 10X as important as the quality of the oil.

Does he have a clue or what?

BTW, I am just about to switch to AmsOil from Mobile 1. ...finally taking the plunge. :ughdance:

Kevin, I gotta say that Amsoil is good stuff.......I manage a fleet of 25 vehicles and all of them use Amsoil. We do a complete Amsoil oil change every 7500 miles, and trust me, we beat the crap out of our vans. We have had several vans go beyond 200,000 miles on Amsoil with 0 internal problems. My company has been using Amsoil for 20 years or so now. We buy it direct and it can get pricey. I am using Mobil 1 in my SSS because you can get it anywhere(I look for the sales) and I used it in my last 2 cars(I drove them hard). In my opinion, Mobil 1 stands up just as good as Amsoil. :chevy:

If anyone is interested and is using Mobil 1, Advance Auto Parts has 1 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 on sale for $17.77 until the 28th............I bought 6 gallons, should last me anywhere from 9-12 months (4 oil changes).......:thumbs: