Ran over a croc

yesterday some friends and i decided to take the jet skiis down to ocean reef in key largo. on cardsound road, a 13 mile road thats barely wide enough to fit one lane each way (has NO shoulders, if you broke down youd be half in the road). its one of the top ten most dangerous roads in the US. as we are driving down it, my buddy sees a sign that says "caution: animal crossings". we have traveled this road countless times and had never seen an animal on it, so we laughed at it. but later, about 11:30 pm, i was driving back on cardsound. it was pouring rain, and there isnt any light for 13 miles (not to mention i have 15% tint on my windshield :uhoh: ). im going about 75 mph, and all the sudden i see this huge animal laying in the road, wider than one lane, followed by a fairly sharp jolt. turns out it was a 7 ft crocodile, about a foot and a few inches tall. i didnt see it until it was within my headlights, which is obviously way to late to try and avoid it, most likely crashing. so yes, i hit it, going 75. i am glad to say that my truck didnt even move, it stayed perfectly straight. it did scare the hell outa me, and i have never felt such a bump. think of it like hitting a curb at 75.....

end results: just croc remains on my truck. absolutely nothing happened to the SS. i was fairly impressed, especially because it is lowered like 3/4 and on 22s. my alignment isnt even off, that really reassures me about these trucks :chevy: (and also about my lowering kits :jester: )

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i have a photographic memory, and i remember the center of its head was right on the cetner lane line, and his tail went a few inches or so past the right lane line. so my driver side got his neck (dunno if they have necks, but right behind his head), and the passanger side wouldve gotten the absolute end of his tail, if at all (didnt feel anything on the right side). but honestly even if i swerved not only would i have hit the gaurd rail but i still wouldve hit his head.

if you hit him behind his head. he is most likley he's a gonner. all the people behind you probebly hit him too untill someone got out and moved him. that gator should of known better to cross paths with an SSS. :crackup: :crackup: thats how things get hurt.

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

if you hit him behind his head. he is most likley he's a gonner. all the people behind you probebly hit him too untill someone got out and moved him. that gator should of known better to cross paths with an SSS. :crackup: :crackup: thats how things get hurt.

:crackup: oh ya he was dead before he knew what hit him. 5500lbs going that fast can do that to ya. but i hope nobody got hurt, if any car were to hit it they would definatly have had airbag deployment and wouldve lost control. hell even most any truck wouldve lost control, i got lucky

glad to hear the SSS is ok, when I was younger my aunt hit an alligator and the tail flung up and dinted the entire side. Luckly you hit it where you couldn't have that happen.... Makes me think that there should be a college team named the SSS's if they can take down a GATOR like that. Glad your ok and Go gators.....

Lance

Croc/alligator is a good meal...you should have stopped and picked it up...People hunt htose things down there like we do deer up here. And I swear I'm not a redneck...but if I hit a deer, I'd take it home if it was in good condition...at least get the tenderloins...

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Croc/alligator is a good meal...you should have stopped and picked it up...People hunt htose things down there like we do deer up here. And I swear I'm not a redneck...but if I hit a deer, I'd take it home if it was in good condition...at least get the tenderloins...

alligator tail is great tasting, better than chicken. whoever hasn't tried it i reccommend you do.