Buying a Radix

Hey guys,

So Punkt71 has finally decided to sell his radix and its looks like Im going to be the lucky guy who ends up with his setup. I would like to know from the guys running the Radix currently of some goodies, that would be good to get to make sure im not going to blow my engine anytime soon after the install.

As of right now the truck is basically stock minus a tune from PCMforLess (this will be re-tuned by the installer), and a Magnaflow exhaust. I have also had the trans beefed up by the ToyShop.

Punkt71 is giving me the entire setup including heat exchanger and a 3.0 pulley. I know I will need atleast a boost/fuelpressure guage, and a new tune.

Right now still split on new headers, I know it will free up some HP, but is it that drastic (HP/TQ wise) over the stock headers? Id be happy with mid to low 13s if not better, I dont have the cash tree that Chase grows :tear: but id be happy with low 13's for right now...

Just want to be on the overly safe side, and want to do it right the first time. Maybe a list of most important things to least important would be helpful. Thanks for all the advice in advance...

Edited by SoCalSS (see edit history)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just with the Radix, you should be in the 13's...Headers, Tq Converter and a 160* T-Stat should get you into the mid to low with no prob's...You'll need to make sure that they would tune for the T-Stat or else it won't do you much good...just my $.02

He is moving on to bigger and better things motor wise I believe.

In his most recent email I got today he said he was selling the truck, and since I expressed interest in an earlier topic of his, he was letting me have first dibs. I know he was thinking about going bigger with the engine, but it looks like he might be selling it.

Im sure he will chime in some time soon.

I think headers are a good idea with f/i, since more air in equals more air out - and the stock manifolds look dinky sitting next to LT's. You could also do a CAI if you haven't already. As for pulley size and concerns about blowing up your engine; I've been runnning a 2.9 here in So Cal for over a year with no problem.

Thanks for the advice guys. With the 3.0 pulley am I going to need to go with larger injectors?

Punkt71 is going to include a Aeroforce scan gauge and Autometer fuel gauge so I think Im good there...Headers are a must have, so I think I need to do some homework ASAP...

Any other suggestions?

I would also add a wideband gauge, but you really don't need it. It is just nice to make sure your not leaning her out through the rpm range and especially at WOT. I now run a 3.0 on a 5.3L with heads/cam/headers/meth. I'm seeing around 10psi and no problems yet. After saying that I need to go knock on some wood! You will love your radix!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. With the 3.0 pulley am I going to need to go with larger injectors?

Any other suggestions?

With an 03 fuel system, the 42#rs will be sufficient with a 3.0" pulley and the magnacharger aux fuel pump. IMO, a free flowing exhaust, a good converter 2500-2800 stall range and the largest CAI filter you can find would all be great upgrades. Of course a nice mild blower cam would do wonders as well.

Tuning, Tuning, Tuning is in order as well! :smash:

So you dont need meth with a 3.0" blower pulley on a 2003 system right?

meth isnt a necessity , if you want to get a few more degrees of timing and cooler iats it will help yes. but it isnt cheap for a good kit.

I'm running a 3.0 pulley in new mexico with no problems. 470 rwhp 490 rwtq So I think it isn't that big of a deal if you don't have meth. I looked into it but decided it wasn't worth the price versus the return.

Thats what I thought as well about meth. My experience with the M90's on the L67 cars showed that intercoolers and cams showed more gains than meth. I would think upgrading the intercooler and adding a good blower cam would help issues prior to needing meth. Also, headers help reduce KR etc.