Buying a Radix

Thats what I thought as well about meth. My experience with the M90's on the L67 cars showed that intercoolers and cams showed more gains than meth. I would think upgrading the intercooler and adding a good blower cam would help issues prior to needing meth. Also, headers help reduce KR etc.

The only issue I have with the headers are that I would want to go Long Tubes, but those are not CA Legal, and I dont know the people Adam and Chase know when it comes to smog time sometime next year.

Since TOGs are no longer around, and Chase mentioned that he had fitting issues with them, kinda worries me. Going the with shorty headers just seems like a waste of money over the stockers.

The Fluidyne intercooler looks interesting, and I may go that route probably asking Dcairns for some help with the install if I go that route. After talking to a few people about the Meth/water and the issues with the radix rotors + meth I dont think I will go that route especially if I went with a top of the line kit like Chase mentioned.

Looks like a good blower cam or intercooler will be the next step as of right now. Just researching the gains and proper size for radix cams as of right now since this is a daily driver.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good blower cam or intercooler will be the next step as of right now. Just researching the gains and proper size for radix cams as of right now since this is a daily driver.

If you choose to do a cam, you most likely will run out of injector (even on the 03 fuel system). I was doing around 475 HP without meth and was topping the injectors out at 113IDC. I added a meth system as a performance mod and also to give me the fuel I needed.

Well looks like Brian (MoreGrip) is going to do the install and tune for me on the suggestion of Kris, and well Brian is more than knowledgeable about Magnacharger and our trucks.

Looks like we will be getting this done a week from today, which means I will get the truck back on Saturday afternoon the 30th. Brian is giving me a great deal for the install and tune.

After talking with him, it looks like I am going to go with the J-tube/TB upgrade and then probably the LPE cam and TC. With all this happenning more towards the end of the year.

I dont think Ive been this excited for Saturday the 30th to come since i was a little kid waiting for Christmas day. Looks like I may not be ashamed of going down to one of the SoCal meet ups (that never occur) with a stock truck. This is when I wish back to the future wasnt just a movie starring Michael J. Fox

BTW Kris (Punkt71) is selling his truck to go the more professional route since he has his new business. He said the lowered truck doesnt look good to clients in his mind so it looks like he is taking a long look at the BMW 538i so he can tow clients around and still keep his need for speed.

I dont think Ive been this excited for Saturday the 30th to come since i was a little kid waiting for Christmas day.

:cool:

You are going to love it. Just try and stay away from the police while you get used to the extra power ;)

Right on man... glad you are excited about the Radix. It really wakes up the SS because IMO they should have come with one from the factory. Not to mention it looks pretty shitty when a new stock Tundra can beat you :banghead:

I was going to throw a massive motor in this thing and go crazy with it, but after pricing it out and needing a 4L80E conversion just to keep it in one piece doesnt make sense to make a nice truck like an SS a weekend only drag racer. I would probably rather buy an old Camaro or Nova SS and put $$ into that instead.. not a truck like the SS.

Not to mention my IT business has been taking off, and it doesnt look too professional rolling up to businesses in a lowered truck.. Like SocalSS mentioned I need to go more of the professional route right now, so I decided to get the new '08 BMW 535i with the twin turbo set up. High 13's stock, and its classy.. plus a tune will get me in the 12's.

I will miss the truck, and I will be putting it up for sale in the next month or two.

SocalSS-

You will want to get your tranny built and a new converter. Go to Toyshop in Pomona.. I went through a lot of trannies until they overhauled mine and 11K miles later, its as strong as ever. Also get a 2600 stall converter at the minimum.

Other things to get- New plugs, 160* stat from LPE, Airaid intake, true dual exhaust and headers.

:cool:

You are going to love it. Just try and stay away from the police while you get used to the extra power ;)

Haha... yeah refer to my post in the street racing section called 'I bet a WRX STI and almost got arrested' post... LOL. That was one of the last races I had.

My last one was a couple of weeks ago.. couldnt turn it down... Killed a Lamborghini Gallardo spyder from a light until about 80 MPH by about 1 car length :driving: Yes, it was in a safe cop-free zone though.. lol.

Toy Shop already built it up after I basically thrashed the tranny a few month ago...Corvette Servos, new accum, blah blah blah...All I know is it was a pretty penny then again i caused ALOT of damage for having CAI and a PCM tune

Im thinking in this order I am going to go with the mods

1) New Intake since the K&N 77 Series wont fit (will be in the 4 Sale section soon)

2) New Plugs

3) 160 Stat

4) TB/J-Tube conversion

5) LPE Cam

6) Torque Converter in the 2600-2800 range

7) 2.9 or 2.8 puller with new Injectors

8) Run True Duals with High flow Cats and E-Cutouts to compensate for CA liberal and not allowing LTs(Global Warming is a hoax created by the same guy that thinks he invented the internet)

looks like 1-4 will be done in about 4 months after I pay off the radix, if this new client comes through, and 5-8 will be closer to end of this year... With tunes by Brian after each install...Looking forward to joining that small group of you in the 12's by next year...

Once again a HUGE thanks to Punkt71, great guy with a great offer...I will post some results of the tune and all probably over the next weekend after I get the truck back...is there still no AWD Dyno within a 2 hour drive from Orange County?

Edited by SoCalSS (see edit history)

1) New Intake since the K&N 77 Series wont fit (will be in the 4 Sale section soon)

2) New Plugs

3) 160 Stat

4) TB/J-Tube conversion

5) LPE Cam

6) Torque Converter in the 2600-2800 range

7) 2.9 or 2.8 puller with new Injectors

8) Run True Duals with High flow Cats and E-Cutouts to compensate for CA liberal and not allowing LTs(Global Warming is a hoax created by the same guy that thinks he invented the internet)

Here is what your plan of atack should really be...

1) New Plugs ($40)

2)160degree stat ($40)

3)Torque Converter/shift kit servos (some might say make this number one...and maybe it should be)

4)Exhaust (corsa will do fine, no need for custom duals unless you really want true duals...wont provide more gain than a corsa though)

5)TB/J-Tube conversion

6)LPE Cam (springs and retainers are needed as well)

7)2.8-2.9 pulley and bigger injectors...

Ahhh moving the TC up there huh? I already have a custom magnaflow exhuast that flows pretty well which is why i left the true duals as last, not needed that much as is more for appearance over the current exhaust

Not much of a track guy, actually never been in my life, always had a lifted truck :uhoh: More of a street race guy...i can see the advantage of the TC especially at the strip I was debating on doing that with a new cam(S&R),pulley, and injectors all at once and doing the Jtube conversion since its the easiest of the installs compared to cam swap or TC install. Or doing the TC install first, check the tranny again at the toy shop to look at wear and tear from the radix with little/no mods, then going with the cam(S&R),pulley,injectors, J-tube/TB...

Brian (MoreGrip) suggested the TB/J-tube conversion first with around 30+ in gains and then the cam instal was around 80+ in gains total...

Guess i gotta read some more...and more...and more

Brian (MoreGrip) suggested the TB/J-tube conversion first with around 30+ in gains and then the cam instal was around 80+ in gains total...

Guess i gotta read some more...and more...and more

Guess I gotta read more too... just what the he!! are you guy's talking about? Trail Blazer or throttle body -- or what?

Somebody please enlighten me...

BD

Guess I gotta read more too... just what the he!! are you guy's talking about? Trail Blazer or throttle body -- or what?

Somebody please enlighten me...

BD

Throttle Body + J-tube extension upgrade for the Radix. I forget which part off the top of my head they use, I believe its a vette TB or something?

I get the truck this Saturday :driving: Beyond stoked about what this truck will do...

Ive been infected by the mod bug, and it looks like its here to stay

What pulley are you going to run? Since you've got a built trans I'd drop in a 2.9 pulley or smaller. I'm still running the stock pulley but I've got a 3.0 waiting to go in.

Theyre putting the 3.0 on it. I was thinking of going to the 2.9 but Zippy did a write up saying that the 2.9 is too much for the injectors and theyd need to be changed.

When I get the Cam and TC installed I will drop the pulley size to a 2.9 and have it retuned with a new set of injectors...Hopefully with just those mods I will be touching the high 12 sec range.

Edited by SoCalSS (see edit history)