settings for superchips...

i was just wondering for all those that have superchips - have you done any changes to the settings? shift pressure and mph ect.

i raised the pressure up on all the shifts...seems to be a little firmer...when driving on the highway i definately notice when i punch it to pass...a lot more kick - seat in the pants type of reaction...

ssminne

I raised the rev limiter, shift points, shift firmness and top speed limiter. Used the "Performance" tune for 91 octane or better. I notice overall improvement but nothing to write home about. The tuning seems to be geared for part or light throttle performance. Wide open throttle off the line seems to induce a bog. I understand it is the torque management holding it back to maintain traction. That sucks! I don't care if my truck will spin the tires or not, but I like to be in control of the power at all times. I'm sure it has some good points, I really don't know that much about it yet.

The truck is damn strong in stock form for a 5300 lb truck, in my opinion. I installed the SuperChips tuner, along with a Volant cold air intake to inhance the performance and mileage. I currently getting 15.6~16.0 at cruising speeds on the highway. Around 14.5 in town if I don't dog it too much!

My truck shifts at 5800 to 6000 rpm under full throttle runs and feels pretty strong once it hits overdrive even. I'm gonna leave it alone now. It's as close to what I expect as I care to get it. After the warranty is over (7 years) if I still have the truck, I may put on the Supercharger, hedders, and performance exhaust with true duals.

That is if I can wait! I may opt for hedders and exhaust next year!

It took me about a week or two or feeling out the SuperChips to finally come to the conclusion that I liked it.

SuperDave :thumbs:

I understand that to use the LS1 Edit you need a windows based laptop. I use a Mac G4 Titanium Powerbook. Do they make a Mac friendly version of the software? I would like to try it, but won't be replacing my 3500.00 laptop to do it! Also, will it work in conjunction with the Superchips or is it a replacement program?

I know that if you intend to do mechianical mods you need to do them first to get your software programming correct. I plan on hedders and freeflowing exhaust, but not right away. I wonder if the LS1 Edit is flexible enough to allow retuning later as I add these mods. :crazy:

I'd rather try bleed off lifters than the converter. I don't want to suffer the mileage loss, or extra heat generated by a looser converter. An improved camshaft profile with bleed down lifters would decrease the bog by tricking the engine into thinking the cam was smaller until rpm would overcome it. I just don't know if bleed down lifters are available for our engines.

The bog is something I can live with, really. If I could tune it out without wrenches, I'd do it in a minute, but I can feather the throttle to avoid the bog or just deal with it. Its not unbearable the way it is.

:smash:

Please don't misunderstand my intentions... I have a dragcar, I don't want a dragtruck. I was referring to the slight bog about 3500 to 4000 rpm on full throttle acceleration. It goes away quickly enough for me. I just appreciate driveability, I'm not at all about ET's. This is a 5300 pound truck, Not a 2600 pound drag car. You could chase this truck with all the money you want, and it's not going to compare to a vehicle half its weight. Start out with the right weapon, that's the way to win the fight!

To me, 40 K for a truck 6 K for a blower, and 3 K for a trans to handle it all is a bit much. Just buy a Viper or a Vette to begin with. I'm not opposed to improving our trucks, I just have a reasonable limit to how far I'm willing to go with a truck!! My SS runs just fine for me! Power to the rest of you though.

:cool:

• 1 month later...
Please don't misunderstand my intentions... I have a dragcar, I don't want a dragtruck. I was referring to the slight bog about 3500 to 4000 rpm on full throttle acceleration. It goes away quickly enough for me. I just appreciate driveability, I'm not at all about ET's. This is a 5300 pound truck, Not a 2600 pound drag car. You could chase this truck with all the money you want, and it's not going to compare to a vehicle half its weight. Start out with the right weapon, that's the way to win the fight!

To me, 40 K for a truck 6 K for a blower, and 3 K for a trans to handle it all is a bit much. Just buy a Viper or a Vette to begin with. I'm not opposed to improving our trucks, I just have a reasonable limit to how far I'm willing to go with a truck!! My SS runs just fine for me! Power to the rest of you though.

:cool:

:withstupid: Could not agree with you more sir. :thumbs:

Thanks for the support man! It's nice to know that there are a few practical SS owners out there!, no harm intended guys! I simply can't afford to drop 10,000.00 dollars on mods on my new truck, and probably wouldn't if I could.

If I wanted all that performance and could afford it, I'd buy a Vette, Porsche, Lamborghini, or other Exotic car to appease that need.

I love my SS just the way it is, thank you very much! It runs great for a truck, handles OK, and hauls everything I need. Perfect. And it looks much better than a lot of other trucks in its class. Either red, blue or black, I love em all!

SuperDave

Archived