Mounting SS Bumper with the GM Brackets

Blk06Limited

Ok.. so I ordered and all ready received the following brackets to install my SS bumper cover:

15124949 - Outer Brackets (Ordered a total of two of these)

15182636 - Lower bracket

15182637 - Lower bracket

I'm good to go on the lower brackets mounting above the brake ducts, but still confused about the Outer brackets..

I've heard mentioned that the 949s are a two-piece bracket. However, mine came in sealed boxes from GM and are only one-piece in each box. Looking at them and looking under the truck -on a lift- under the stock bumper / valance assembly, I can't see how they are going to mount. There is the upper portion of the bracket, and the lower portion - both of which I'm sure attach to the bumper cover. Then midway down the bracket there is a U-Shaped piece attached to the bracket that looks like it should mount on something and be bolted secure - probably bolt to the frame or around the chrome bumper. Does anyone have some pics of installed 949s, or could you do me a HUGE favor and snap a couple? Any insight at all? Installing this week and still confused. I'll post some pics of them when I get home to refresh some memories.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

U have those labeled correctly, and u need those, plus:

15181856 (X4) UPPER BRACKETS

15184117 L.OUTTER TUBE SHAPED BRACKET

15184116 RT. " " " "

And PN#'s 15059654/15059655 Mount onto the frame horns in the center

(Also comes with new steel bumper).

U have those labeled correctly, and u need those, plus:

15181856 (X4) UPPER BRACKETS

15184117 L.OUTTER TUBE SHAPED BRACKET

15184116 RT. " " " "

And PN#'s 15059654/15059655 Mount onto the frame horns in the center

(Also comes with new steel bumper).

Dammit, another $258.28 in bracketry. I was told multiple times that I only needed the outers and the lowers. Looks like this thing is going on sans outer brackets until I get the rest of the parts.

Actually, just noticed something.. Everything you listed above, except for the 15181856s, are listed for "Chevrolet 2003-05, w/o ss 2003 - 2005" Any idea why?

Ok. Had PM conversation with a guy I know on GMFS who has done the conversion, he set me straight. I have all the brackets I need do this, no need to order more. He also shot a couple pics, and labled them, of how the 949s attach.

The 949s are, in fact, a two piece bracket. When I opened the boxes my brackets came in I couldn't find the little L-Shaped pieces. Checked again after he sent the pics and just found them.

Top part is L-Shaped and connects to a much longer lower section with the U-Shaped piece attached to it. You can easily see this bracket looking through the wheel well towards the front of the truck. Its the tall bracket cloest to your front tires.

In short, I'm golden now. Won't take me any time at all to install Saturday morning, bright and early!

so you would basically just re-use the steel portion of the non-SS bumper and attach these brackets?

You remove the upper bumper cap, and the lower valance assembly but leave your factory chrome bumper. The SS actually comes with a black bumper instead of our chrome one, but they are exactly the same except color. No sense in them chrome plating something thats going to be hidden anyway. Then you get the brackets I mentioned above and a roll of 3M double sided tape (used from the facotry on SSs as well.) First thing you want to do is test fit it and note a good location for the tape, then pull it off and put the tape on. Place the cover back on the front and start on the brackets. The 15182636 and 15182637 attach to the bumper cover right above where the silver brake ducts are on the inside, there is receiver bracket built in to the cover when you get it for those - then the bottom part of the 636/637s bolt to the bottom of the cover. The 949s mount to the top of the chrome bumper, then to the fender lip midway down, then to the bottom of the cover. These are really the only brackets you need, period. I'll probably add the others later just because, but not nessescary at all. Some say you need the plastic headlight filler panels too, but you can just elongate the mounting holes in the ones you have and they'll work just fine from what I understand. I want to note this is the first time I've done this, and the above is my game plan based on conversations I've had with others who have done it. I plan on taking a lot of pictures when I do the install Saturday and will construct a how-to for various forums since it hasn't been done yet for whatever reason.

I've seen a handful of people not use any brackets at all, just some double sided tape and 4 screws to attach to the fended. I don't see how they stay attached that way without falling off or flexing all over the place. When I test fitted mine after I purchased it, the bottom kept contorting due to lack of support - that's when I knew I needed brackets. I only paid $190 for all 4 brackets listed above and a bag of 12 OEM plasti-rivits, it's well worth it I think. I'd rather not risk my cover coming loose on even one side and dragging across the asphalt at 80MPH if you know what I mean.

Anyway, like I said - write up with pics soon to come.

... Anyway, like I said - write up with pics soon to come.

I would appreciate seeing this, I'm very suspicious of the body shop that last worked on my front bumper, I think I'm missing a bracket somewhere or it's not done correctly, the bottom-center of the bumper seems to move around a lot now.

Mr. P.

Sorry "BLK06Limited" I just pulled up a 2005 SS in my GM cataloging, and looked up all brackets it showed (less what u already had)..... :confused:

No need to apologize, I do appreciate your input. What you listed are needed to have all the brackets, but its been proven to work with much less. :happysad:

that's a great writeup on the cover install....i vote to sticky it for all non SS owners to save future repeat posts

Thats just a rough draft. I'll have a full write up with pictures after I do the install this weekend.