Will allison work in a ss truck

without some serious metal fabbing, it won't even fit in a non-hd truck. that's why the 2500 hd has a 2 inch taller frame, just to fit the allison in it. personally i wouldn't use one in an ss anyway, it's 330lbs dry weight without a converter. it also take very high amounts of power to turn it. it does however have the the 4L65E is missing, a second gear.

I have to disagree with you Zippy. :nono: The Allison will "fit" in the SS. I don't know if it will bolt up to the 6.0, but I think it will. People put the 4L80E behind the gen III LS1's and that same transmission can be found behind the 8.1 and in front of the Allison. This truck started as a "2500 SERIES WITH 8.1 LITER/ALLISON 5 SPD. TRANNY- TRANSFERRED ON 1500 SERIES SHORT WHEELBASE FRAME,WITH SHORTBED." http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/G5HLTTA0ADJI.html

This same truck was featured on a episode of TRUCKS! According to the owner the Allison robs too much horespower. (108)

i talked to that guy in person in fact and while asking him about the truck, he went into discussing that part, i just don't remember what all said about it. talked to him at one of the power tour stops. my guess would be it took some work to make it fit. during the training course i took for the hd line of trucks back in 00', they said that was the reason for the larger frame was the allison, it was too tall to fit the standard trans tunnel. i'll send him an e-mail to find out.

I'm not sure the allison would be better anyway. I've got three friends with 2003 and 2004 crewcab 4x4 shortbed trucks with the duramax and allison package they have done exhaust, chips and one with a volant they are all trying scrape up $5000.00 to get their trannys rebuilt. they all are feeling tranny slippage. they have done alot of research and found out anything over stock hp causes the allison to slip and anything over 150 hp above stock is doing damage. I know diesels have way more torque than gas but does not seem to be any more performance friendly. But then again these big ass trucks give me one hell of a race.

I can take them of the line but when my rear bumper evens out with their front bumper we are dead even to 95mph :confused:

I'm not sure the allison would be better anyway. I've got three friends with 2003 and 2004 crewcab 4x4 shortbed trucks with the duramax and allison package they have done exhaust, chips and one with a volant they are all trying scrape up $5000.00 to get their trannys rebuilt. they all are feeling tranny slippage. they have done alot of research and found out anything over stock hp causes the allison to slip and anything over 150 hp above stock is doing damage. I know diesels have way more torque than gas but does not seem to be any more performance friendly. But then again these big ass trucks give me one hell of a race.

I can take them of the line but when my rear bumper evens out with their front bumper we are dead even to 95mph :confused:

yeah, our damn AWD is becoming way paracitic after launch, just like other AWD cars, we have the benefit of laying down bad ass 60' times, but after that, we are screwed b/c the AWD/auto combo is eating 25% of our power :eek: ... :( we need T-56's... :thumbs:

Archived