a/c problem

BOB47

When I went to lunch today I flipped on the a/c just to blow the hot air out. As soon as I stepped on the gas it sounded like the fan is loose or something metal is shaking really bad. Truck also starting running real rough. Thought it was going to stall when I stopped. Shut off the a/c and everything is fine. Runs good, smooth idle, etc. Turned the a/c back on and seemed o.k. til I stepped on the gas again.

Can't see anything under the hood. Fan looks good and is on tight. No wear marks on it. Belt looks good. I'll probably take it to the dealer tomorrow. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. :confused:

If it rattles really loud when you rev it up and the ac tensioner is jumping when revved, it is the compressor. They have a problem with internal sludging causing them to bind up. Make sure you check the tensioner well, the little stop ear on the tensioner tend to get broken off when they are jumping back and forth so hard.

Yep, you got a bad compressor. Same thing happen to me about a year ago and was under warranty.

Thanks, I'll probably take it in tomorrow. Been sick all week so I haven't been able to . That would be cool if it's under warranty. :cheers:

Bit the bullet and took the truck in today. Turns out the a/c compressor took a dump. Dealership says nothing covered under warranty. A/C is not part of the drivetrain. Ended up running $1100.00. :mad: Could have put new central air in the house for that kind of money. :sigh:

hey guys, since we're on the subject i have a question about a/c. i have the dual climate deal and when i press the snowflake (im assuming its for a/c), the vents blow humid air. But, when i just run the thing without the snowflake it blows cold. What the hey is going on? Anyone? :banghead:

hey guys, since we're on the subject i have a question about a/c. i have the dual climate deal and when i press the snowflake (im assuming its for a/c), the vents blow humid air. But, when i just run the thing without the snowflake it blows cold. What the hey is going on? Anyone? :banghead:
Probably a bad control head. Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

holy crap 1100 bones. im happy i have my certs for a/c and could do this myself if i had to. BUT i think 1100 is a little extreme. this type of compressor failure is very common, i've had a few at my shop, a couple on this site, and who knows how many everywhere else.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

holy crap 1100 bones. im happy i have my certs for a/c and could do this myself if i had to. BUT i think 1100 is a little extreme. this type of compressor failure is very common, i've had a few at my shop, a couple on this site, and who knows how many everywhere else.

My friend just had to put a compressor in his '98 Tahoe today and it cost him just under $800.......

My friend just had to put a compressor in his '98 Tahoe today and it cost him just under $800.......

i replaced the compressor in my girlfriends old car ('95 intrepid) for about 400 bucks.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

:withstupid: