oil pressure thread!

Well I'm kinda the rebel here - Mobil-1 0W-30 + Mobile-1 filter; observed via dash guage, hot idle = 35-40 psi, hot 5200-rpm = 75+. Now that I've got EFILive I'll have to log some real numbers...

oilpress.jpg

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

id say logged because the guages are so off.

im running the lpe oil pump too.

but is there anything bad with higher oil pressure?

absolutly, typically if you are not FI your more than likely dont need a high press/volum pump, rule of thumb 10psi per 1000 rpm, those type of pumps require more hp power to run that a normal oil pump. so ionce again if you are FI higher pressure is a must in order to lubricate your FI application.

that rule applys for the other motors, our motors like around 40 at idle some cases more

its not just FI motors, i know NA motors making alot more then FI motors are making

oil pressure doesnt come with power though, too much pressure and you are going to get cavitation in your oiling system

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

little update my ouil pressure has dropped a bit over the last couple days, im in the mid to low 50's at idle but the same up top. i havent gone wot yet so its hard to say what it is in that area.

Alright, ran a log:

Idle at 850rpms yields 38

WOT blast hits 78 and stays there

Mobile 1 10W30, K&N HP2006 filter on a fully warmed up motor, 74* ambient. Stock oil pump.

FWIW, the stock gauge is pretty close for me HOWEVER, is very slow to react.

Alright, ran a log:

Idle at 850rpms yields 38

WOT blast hits 78 and stays there

Mobile 1 10W30, K&N HP2006 filter on a fully warmed up motor, 74* ambient. Stock oil pump.

FWIW, the stock gauge is pretty close for me HOWEVER, is very slow to react.

yeah all the clusters are different. my coolant guage is way off and slow. it was at almost 210 when i changed the water pump a few days ago. then i deceided to scan the actual temp with a scan gugae and it was nearing 250.

• 2 months later...

ok this just in i just got of the phone with TRT PERFORMANCE IN ARLINGTON they said that they just drove my truck and my oil presure didnt even get up about 40psi :confused: but there goin to go ahead and put another brand new oil pump and take apart the other one and see what that does

ok this just in i just got of the phone with TRT PERFORMANCE IN ARLINGTON they said that they just drove my truck and my oil presure didnt even get up about 40psi :confused: but there goin to go ahead and put another brand new oil pump and take apart the other one and see what that does

:nono: Rookie move - oil pumps don't just give out, and these dash clusters are notorious for having innacurate guages; first thing is to attach a known good mechanical guage underhood and verify that the existing dash guage & sending unit are correct in their low reading before going to the $$$ and hassle of tearing the front of the motor apart. If your motor really is struggling to maintain PSI then I would put my money on a spun cam bearing, but I'll bet you find the guage (or sending unit) is the issue.

Mr. P.

:nono: Rookie move - oil pumps don't just give out, and these dash clusters are notorious for having innacurate guages; first thing is to attach a known good mechanical guage underhood and verify that the existing dash guage & sending unit are correct in their low reading before going to the $$$ and hassle of tearing the front of the motor apart. If your motor really is struggling to maintain PSI then I would put my money on a spun cam bearing, but I'll bet you find the guage (or sending unit) is the issue.

Mr. P.

well p they put a manual gauge and its read 44 psi so they said maybe its just clogged up line but I'll find out soon enough