home audio buffs come in

04CHASE

i have a decent home stereo( pioneer , receiver 6.1 surround) im runnign jbl speakers studi series all around. i have an acoustic research sub that is just no cutting it for the big bass. its a single 150 watt 10. i need something in the 12-15" range. i dont think i need an 18 because i wont have the mid range bass i need. im not looking to spend a fortune but i dont want something that is "underpowered" it would be nice to stick with jbl and some of their woofers sound good to me but i dont know a whole lot about the home audio stuff.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much you looking to spend?I bought a Klipsch Reference series 12" sub with a passive 12"raditor.I think it amp is rated 1200watts.I paid about $1500 on it.The new model is alot nicer!And more wattage on it.

I use a 12" powered sub from a company I sell for on eBay. It's not a big name brand but the sub hits hard. The brand is vidsonix. Here's a link to a page for the sub HT Sub I can take some pics of mine if you want detailed pics. I've had the sub for awhile and it holds up well and pounds pretty hard. I can get them for around $110 or so. I tried it out and love it plus I got it for dealer cost so it was worth it.

i use the polk audio subs, they sound great. i have the 12" 300watt rms in my bedroom, and the polk dual 10" 400 rms sub in the theater room. they both hit very very hard. when i bought them i was thinking that id never get the sound quality of the system in SS in my house, but its actually louder lol. the dual polk is awesome, very crisp. but if youve got the bank, the JL gotham is the mother of all subs. its like over 2k but it would most likely blow a window out lol. and for those of you, like me, too lazy to click on that link..... twin 13.5" W7 subs, 3800 watt rms, wieghs over 400 lbs. yes you did read that right :wtf: but check out crutchfield, they have alot of stuff.

polk dual 10"s 400 watt-

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YLB1DEWAS6b/c...amp;I=107PSW1KE

jl gotham-

http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370

i use the polk audio subs, they sound great. i have the 12" 300watt rms in my bedroom, and the polk dual 10" 400 rms sub in the theater room. they both hit very very hard. when i bought them i was thinking that id never get the sound quality of the system in SS in my house, but its actually louder lol. the dual polk is awesome, very crisp. but if youve got the bank, the JL gotham is the mother of all subs. its like over 2k but it would most likely blow a window out lol. and for those of you, like me, too lazy to click on that link..... twin 13.5" W7 subs, 3800 watt rms, wieghs over 400 lbs. yes you did read that right :wtf: but check out crutchfield, they have alot of stuff.

polk dual 10"s 400 watt-

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YLB1DEWAS6b/c...amp;I=107PSW1KE

jl gotham-

http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370

ive been a fan of those for a long time. i had 3 w7 12's in previous ride. i hit around 155 db with them. powered by a matter 3k rms amp. it was alot of fun.

im not looking to spend that kind of coin on a sub though. maybe around 1k at most. i live in an apartment and with my current set up im already well known but everyone here has some stereo. i just have to remain king of the top floor.

my friend has the klipsche 10 in his house and for the size i was impressed with it. but im looking for more bass . so the reason for a 12 or 15. still need more opinions and thoughts before i pull the trigger. besides the good ol search function yields results if you use it.

Well if since you like to do some of your own projects you could always do a sono sub yourself and buy either a plate amp or use a pro series amp like an inexpensive crown for power.

Here's an idea link

I've helped friends around here make them...too bad you live in an apartment and not in a home cause you could have done an infinite baffle setup instead.

Here's the last one *attached* it's a 15" dayton audio sub, enclosure is 220 liters and is tuned to 17 hertz

you can get more ideas though here

post-5274-1183346772_thumb.jpg

Well if since you like to do some of your own projects you could always do a sono sub yourself and buy either a plate amp or use a pro series amp like an inexpensive crown for power.

Here's an idea link

I've helped friends around here make them...too bad you live in an apartment and not in a home cause you could have done an infinite baffle setup instead.

Here's the last one *attached* it's a 15" dayton audio sub, enclosure is 220 liters and is tuned to 17 hertz

you can get more ideas though here

Audio is so subjective, but I've have no problem at least suggesting you consider the PE Dayton MKIII Titanic kits. Or how about an IB setup...I've been dreaming of assembling one of those for years.

I have a carver sunfire and it will literally shake the rafters,and its only a 10" and the enclosure with amp measures only 12"x12". It has worked flawlessly the eight years I've owned it! If I remember right it has 1800 watts and the amp is the size of a big candy bar,it also weighs 60 lbs.

Chase,

I HIGHLY suggest you look into SVS Home Theatre subs. I have a SVS PB12 +2 found HERE and it is THE BEST home theatre sub i've EVER heard. This thing flat out HITS. I love mine and have had it for almost 4 yrs without a single problem.

Chase,

I HIGHLY suggest you look into SVS Home Theatre subs. I have a SVS PB12 +2 found HERE and it is THE BEST home theatre sub i've EVER heard. This thing flat out HITS. I love mine and have had it for almost 4 yrs without a single problem.

Much like everyone's taste in trucks...the suggestions listed thus far all offer great value and flat out excellent bass for the money. Obviously, IMHO only. :-)

Can add HSU to the list as well.

Edited by jbaker (see edit history)

dont waste your time on anything less than VELODYNE subwoofers! they make the best subwoofers hands down. you wont be disappointed. come to my house chase and hear it for yourself i have the DPS-10 :Dhttp://www.velodyne.com

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

dont waste your time on anything less than VELODYNE subwoofers! they make the best subwoofers hands down. you wont be disappointed. come to my house chase and hear it for yourself :Dhttp://www.velodyne.com

Velodyne is nice, also very expensive but I agree very nice.

My first pick is M&K MX350; I attended a M&K factory 7.1 product demo, the room was 20' x 30' x 12' and I was told that the setup was the same as the viewing room at Skywalker Ranch (there were 2 MX350s) - that experience was the most realistic bass reproduction I've heard ever, and I mean jaw-dropping both SQ and SPL were off the charts IMO.

If you want a DIY project I've got a good set of plans for a double folded horn design, extremely efficient but large, you'd have to make it a coffee table subwoofer.

Mr. P.