K&N or Volant CAI

smoke03

Some guys say that the K&N is loud, yes there is some induction noise, but I like the way that sounds. Anyway, I run the K&N FIPK year round, and have had 0 problems with rain or snow (we have the 4 seasons here in NY too). I would assume that you would have to be careful with the Volant Ram Air tube in deep standing water and heavy rain. I paid $215.00 for my K&N a year ago through Jegs. :chevy:

If you research the K&N FIPK's, you will find the 57 and 77 series. The 57-series (like mine) has a plastic tube, the 77-series has the polished stainless(or aluminum?) tube. Go for the 57-Series. Good luck with your choice.

Why 57 opposed to the 77?

Should i get a K&N CAI or a volant CAI? Why? thanks

i would go with volant, not only do i have one on my truck and love it, but i researched a lot and asked some questions too in the end my choice was between the volant and outlaw.. and i figured there about the same on performance from what i gathered, but the volant looks better.

I am in the market for a CAI as well. What makes Volant better than K & N?? Thanks

it's a closed elemant intake like everyone else said, it keeps the heat out, it looks better IMHO.

and the ram air won't be a problem unless you live in a area prone to flooding.

and everyone please exscuse the shameless plug.. but i have a volant for sale $250 + actual shipping.. won't find it cheaper anywhere else on the net. i've got 1 left (sold 2) if you guys are interested let me know.

post-8665-1184568180_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1184568187_thumb.jpg

Lets through another wrench in the game. the important things is to maintain a cold air box, but replacing the filter with a more free flowing filter.. but remeber the purpose of the filter is to stop dirt period !! the factory box gets more than adequate air from factory specifications.. this being said for every 10 degrees you cool the air in the engine you gain 1 horsepower.. Airaid has the intakes available, that replaces the factory intake tube.. another one and the best one that i have seen and personal use is TRUEFLOW, they use the factory box, foam filter, recleanable.. they also have the XDI system.. gains are about 17-19 horsepower on the 6.0 and about 23 foot lbs of trq. check out the website www.trueflow.com and watch the video, its very informational about making a good decison on whatever system you chose. Volant has a good system and it retains that cold air box system, but it is expensive and also its not truly SEALED cold air box.. so this just some info coming from a guy that sells this stuff, not saying iam an expert, just trying to get you some info on chosing the right system for you.. we sell the TRUEFLOW system right now at jobber to get them out there and to get people talking about them.. i just recently purchased my 04 SS and will be getting it this week. It already has the Volant System in it, but iam torn myself on either keeping it and adding the forced induction tube to it or pull it off and get the Trueflow XDI system. if i go that way then I will be selling the Volant at a used intake price on the shelf.. thanks for letting rant and i hoped i was able to get you some info in making a decision for you or anybody else..

Lets through another wrench in the game. the important things is to maintain a cold air box, but replacing the filter with a more free flowing filter.. but remeber the purpose of the filter is to stop dirt period !! the factory box gets more than adequate air from factory specifications.. this being said for every 10 degrees you cool the air in the engine you gain 1 horsepower.. Airaid has the intakes available, that replaces the factory intake tube.. another one and the best one that i have seen and personal use is TRUEFLOW, they use the factory box, foam filter, recleanable.. they also have the XDI system.. gains are about 17-19 horsepower on the 6.0 and about 23 foot lbs of trq. check out the website www.trueflow.com and watch the video, its very informational about making a good decison on whatever system you chose. Volant has a good system and it retains that cold air box system, but it is expensive and also its not truly SEALED cold air box.. so this just some info coming from a guy that sells this stuff, not saying iam an expert, just trying to get you some info on chosing the right system for you.. we sell the TRUEFLOW system right now at jobber to get them out there and to get people talking about them.. i just recently purchased my 04 SS and will be getting it this week. It already has the Volant System in it, but iam torn myself on either keeping it and adding the forced induction tube to it or pull it off and get the Trueflow XDI system. if i go that way then I will be selling the Volant at a used intake price on the shelf.. thanks for letting rant and i hoped i was able to get you some info in making a decision for you or anybody else..

i dont want to start a debate, but you say the volant is expensive it retails for a little over $300 and you could readily get them on ebay for less then that shipped, i'm selling mine below retail

but thats another story. this intake your promoting is $260 (not including shipping), and it uses the stock box, adds nothing to looks, and seems over price imo the only advatage i see is a high flow filter and a free flowing tube.. and thats not equal to a volant or outlaw.

if i were you i'd stick with the volant and ram-air tube, but thats just my .02

the volant and outlaw are proven and obviously had some R&D put into them, were this kit looks like it is put together without much effort. do you have some dyno numbers to back those claims up?.. and not yours but people who used it and tested independently.

i know i'm being harsh, but when i clicked the link i was waiting to see a nice new set-up, maybe another alternative to what we have used here... but im kinda disappointed. if you could prove it works as good as any of the traditional intakes then i'll eat my words.

but even then you should be selling it for way less, since it's obvious it did'nt take much to produce it. and thats about the only way your gonna get people to buy it over the outlaw (which is cheaper!) or the volant.

to everyone else sorry for the rant, i just don't want anyone (especially newbie's) to get confused and make a bad purchase, before it's proven to work. i love the forum and want to keep adds for gimmicky products off it... i'd hate to see an add for the electric supercharger on here!.. makes 30-50hp!... lmao!!! maybe this is'nt that bad, but it don't look that great either and it's way over priced.

edit: just watched the video and the only thing that looks ok is the filter (if what they claim is true?) otherwise it still seems way overpriced, if i wanted this kit i would buy the filter and go to home depot and make my own free flow tube.. but thats just me.

Edited by 2006_SUPERADO (see edit history)

The Outlaw Power NeverOil filter flows better than the stock paper filter AND has better micron filtration.

See their FAQ:

www.outlawpower.com/productdocs/Filter_FAQ.pdf

The Outlaw Power NeverOil, AEM DryFlow and Donaldson Nano are the only oil-free filters that filter and flow better than stock paper elements.

The Outlaw Power NeverOil and AEM DryFlow are both waterproof. The Donaldson Nano/Amsoil AE paper filters are not waterproof i.e. the nano fibers clump if washed.

i dont want to start a debate, but you say the volant is expensive it retails for a little over $300 and you could readily get them on ebay for less then that shipped, i'm selling mine below retail

but thats another story. this intake your promoting is $260 (not including shipping), and it uses the stock box, adds nothing to looks, and seems over price imo the only advatage i see is a high flow filter and a free flowing tube.. and thats not equal to a volant or outlaw.

if i were you i'd stick with the volant and ram-air tube, but thats just my .02

the volant and outlaw are proven and obviously had some R&D put into them, were this kit looks like it is put together without much effort. do you have some dyno numbers to back those claims up?.. and not yours but people who used it and tested independently.

i know i'm being harsh, but when i clicked the link i was waiting to see a nice new set-up, maybe another alternative to what we have used here... but im kinda disappointed. if you could prove it works as good as any of the traditional intakes then i'll eat my words.

but even then you should be selling it for way less, since it's obvious it did'nt take much to produce it. and thats about the only way your gonna get people to buy it over the outlaw (which is cheaper!) or the volant.

to everyone else sorry for the rant, i just don't want anyone (especially newbie's) to get confused and make a bad purchase, before it's proven to work. i love the forum and want to keep adds for gimmicky products off it... i'd hate to see an add for the electric supercharger on here!.. makes 30-50hp!... lmao!!! maybe this is'nt that bad, but it don't look that great either and it's way over priced.

edit: just watched the video and the only thing that looks ok is the filter (if what they claim is true?) otherwise it still seems way overpriced, if i wanted this kit i would buy the filter and go to home depot and make my own free flow tube.. but thats just me.

:withstupid: I agree, for the cost of that filter and tube you could buy the entire K&N 57-series FIPK. Besides, a foam filter? I don't see how a foam filter in a restrictive stock box would flow as much air as a K&N or Volant CAI would. And of course it holds more dirt than a paper or cotton filter, look how thick it is. As far as I know, foam filters should be oiled also, and when they get dirty, they are a b*tch to clean.....Just my $0.02 :chevy:

:withstupid: I agree, for the cost of that filter and tube you could buy the entire K&N 57-series FIPK. Besides, a foam filter? I don't see how a foam filter in a restrictive stock box would flow as much air as a K&N or Volant CAI would. And of course it holds more dirt than a paper or cotton filter, look how thick it is. As far as I know, foam filters should be oiled also, and when they get dirty, they are a b*tch to clean.....Just my $0.02 :chevy:

:withstupid: your right.. there site has a filter cleaning kit just like any other cotton gauze filter intake system.

heres something to think about for everyone even remotely interested in this intake....

any K&N drop in (or TrueFlow) about $50-$60

1 trip to home depot free

four large hose clamps $5-$10

2-3' feet of 4" inch pcv pipe and various elbow couplings $10-$20

1 foot of 4" inch rubber hose $5-$10

making your own TrueFlow intake system for a minimum of $160 savings... PRICELESS!!!! :jester:

So much info for a new SS ower on this site and so little money.. I really like the Volant alot...... Thanks for all the info...

Glad we could help....by the way welcome to the site, don't forget to introduce yourself in the "member introductions" section......:cheers: