How would you build with this budget?

Ok...first off sorry for the dumb question, I'm seeking some advise from those of you who have gone down this road and know what works and what doesn't. I have a $25,000 budget for my motor and I wanna know how you would build your motor with the budget. My father and uncle got me into drag racing before my accident 2 years ago and now that I'm getting where I can get back to going to the track again they wanted me to use my money I had saved up and either buy a fast car or build one... Well since my SS is payed off, and the fact that I'm sick of hearing people say that trucks are bricks I wanna build my SS to do what it is meant to do. Bad part is in my past they have been the ones I go to for motor advise...now they are telling me to build one without their help *yank out hair* lol..I'v always been a paint/body and sterio buff so when it comes down to building engines I'm clueless. With my budget I would like to atleast dip into the 11's...if not go further...not sure where that budget will get me down the track.

In the other thread about the tranny I looked around and did more reading and yes the lvl 5 4l80e will be the tranny choice, so I'm glad that part is out of the way. So now, if you were in my shoes what engine build/FI kit would you choose? I wanted to get the LSX and do a 427 build but I think there may be better routes.

-Any help here will be appreciated...thanks.

The motor is the easiest to figure out IMO. I would spend money on the truck's drivetrain first. Get a heavy-duty cover for the rear axle + bearing studs, etc. On the transmission, the 4L80E will not physically bolt-up to the transfer case, so either you will have to convert to 2WD (not!) or you need to contact a top-notch transmission shop for a 4L60E that will survive at those power levels (think Rossler, Art Carr, FLT, etc).

RE motor - You can get to mid-11s on the stock iron block with forged internals, but an LSX block certainly has a lot more meat if you want to make even more torque but given the fact you are limited to a 4L60E (which *at best* can only be improved to take 900hp according to what I've been told) I would just work with a iron 6.0L block.

I don't think you can get where you want on displacement alone; I think either NOS or boost (or both!) is mandatory. But you're going to need to move a lotta air so expect a custom blower or turbo build, I would personally go with a professional twin-turbo build with progressive boost controller or a centrifugal blower (think Vortech Ysi or Paxton Novi 2000 head units or similar).

The devil is in the details of course, that being how much boost do you plan to use and will you be stroked or stock stroke, driveability/mileage concerns, etc.

So the weak link IMO is the tranny; figure out what it will take (talk to Rossler, Art Carr, etc) and then build to that level. I do think with your budget and a good plan you should be able to take the truck fast enough to require a cage.

Mr. P.

Thanks. I heard that too about the 60. I was reading that the stage 1 80 is equivilant to a built 60 and a stage 1 is good for 900tq. Chase mentioned in the other thread that the gears in the 80 suck as well...and I dont wanna build a high hp truck that isnt fun to drive so I may see what the 60 can handle and build around that. I need to find an honest shop that can point me in the right direction with my budget and build goals who see's more than just that $$ for the budget wanting me to spend it all on things I don't need.

If I could do it again (and may):

A stout nitrous ready 408

progressive 200 shot of N2O

80E with custom brackets to mate the t-case

Best converter $$$ can buy (3000 stall)

14 bolt (4;56)

typical bolt-ons needed (E-fans, gauges, 1000 HP fuel system...)

With the TQ of the N'A 408, it will be a blast to drive on the street and with a 3000 stall, the 80 E won't feel so dogish. A well built and tuned N/A 408 will do 12's no problem through an 80E in our trucks. The 200 shot will be reserved for the track where a high 10 isn't out of the question :driving:

I just spent $25K in 45 seconds...that was fun! :nonod:

The other option is the route 04chase took...not saying it is the best, and we havent seen his times yet with his new setup, but a forged 6.0L with a T trim vortech should get him into the 11's and still not blow his entire $25k. Personally, even if I had 25k to blow, I would want to do it for as little as possible and keep the truck as close to streetable and stock as possible. If he wants more, squirt a 100shot on there and low 11's should be no big deal.

I'll look into that Vortech build too. I want my truck streetable, its not going to be an all out drag truck. I wanna get my truck to atleast dip into the 11's and I would be happy. Every year my family rents out the local drag strip for our family reunion and I'd like to atleast hang with my fathers 06 Z06 and my uncles pullied Cobra down the 1/4m. I gotta find a damn shop to help me out too, I was looking at Wheel 2 Wheel and they seem to be able to do everything I want to get done in their own shop...anyone done business with them?

I like the sound of a stout S/C'd motor. I'v always been a fan of the twin screws for the instant torque but from what I read on performancetrucks there aren't many pully options. I'v learned alot about the Vortech when I was reading the 350Z forums when I was thinking about buying one. The T-trim seems to put out some serious power. Those on the forums that run the new Vortech S/C's...are you having the problem with your Cog system rattling like a paint can?

you can get a stock motor to dip into the 11's , the reason i choose to build a 370 over a 408 stroker is the added torque will kill the 60 fast. if the 6l80 ever become an option i willl have it done.

imo , i dont like how turbos drive on the street unless its a smaller turbo so boost comes in quick. i love the supercharges instant boost. i plan to go mid 11's on blower and hopefully dip into the 10's with some gas. hopefully the 65 can handle one good pass and ill be happy. with all of the money i have into the truck performance wise i think it could be had for around 25k

figure

Trans - 3k

Motor-7k+

blower setup-6k

exhaust -2k

and depending what else you want to do

methanol -600

nitrous wet-1k

nitrous direct port -2k +

Suspension/diffs-2k

i could go on and on with more parts but the power isnt to hard its getting it to the ground, the awd really help do that.

Chase, with your Nitrous setup... Are you spraying down the track or is your nitrous just for your intercooler? I'm looking at the Vortech and liking what I see. The V-4 J trim blower looks like a nice blower to put inplace of the SQ since the SQ runs out of breathe pretty quick. 97,000 miles on my stock block thanks to my SS being turned into a daily driven vehicle and driven almost 200 miles back/fourth 4 days a week for therapy since october of 05 so no chance in building it up. Anyone have a link to a vendor that sells built motors, especially a 408 so I can see pricing? So far all I'v seen are 402's and they are said to be capable of handling 1000hp. I really am not much of a fan of turbo's on domestics...the blowers seem to do its job better...just like I hate blowers on imports. lol I agree power is worthless w/o being able to get it to the ground. The tranny deal is really wrackin my brain. The kit offered by speed-eng is said to have everything needed for the 4l80 to bolt to the AWD.

4L80E Conversion (Transmission Shaft Change) $4,199.99

We offer full kits for those looking to update their 4L60E Transmission to a 4L80E. Our Transmissions are complete without any core charge. These Transmissions are upgraded with TransGo Shift kits, high temperature O-rings, and several internal upgrades. Our complete packages are rated at 700hp. For those of you interested in our larger hp applications we offer a Finishline Level 4 and Level 5 Transmission. The level 4 is rated over 800hp and the level 5 is rated over 1200hp.

Note

Transmission Shaft change is internally done within the Transmission allowing the Transmission to slide into the original Transfer Case without any modification.

This specific kit includes:

Wire Harness

Crank Spacer & Bolts

Custom Cross Member

Custom Front Driveline & Rear Yoke

Dip Stick Tub

Transmission Mount

Connection Lines & Fittings

Transmission

Torque Converter Shield

Linkage Bracket

Transmission Shaft Insert

Transmission Spacer

That 6l80 would be pretty sweet, give it time and I bet they start making adapters for it.

im going to spray a 150 shot down the track with meth and hopefully around 15 psi.

that speed eng kit should be almost complete except tuning and i dont see the rear driveshaft on there.

also the v4 vortech will take a custom mount. the only blower that bolts up to vortech kit is the t trim . the ysi would be a good choice to but it will also take a custom mount.

i know futral motorsports had built some sick motors.