Alright, I'm an idiot.... but WHATS MY ENGINE CODE?!?

AndromedaSS

I know its not exactly an LS2 but quite similar to it.. its the iron block and not the aluminum block.. but is it the LQ4? LQ9? L76??

Ive read online all sorts of stuff.. Im not at home right now (im at my parents across the state) and cant look on the door for the codes..

but what is the engine code for the Vortec Max 6.0?? (2007..)

thanks.. :(

I hate not knowing exactly.. and ive found conflicting info everywhere..

The RPO code is LQ9; but you know I'm not so sure anymore how similar or dissimilar the engine is to the LS2. The reason I say is that the original LQ9's had a 24-tooth reluctor wheel (crank position sensor) and matching PCM, I would now be hard-pressed to believe that GM is still using this in the newer LQ9's and I'm wondering if GM is now using the newer 58-tooth Gen-IV reluctor wheel on the crank along with the latest available PCMs. The LS2's, LS3's, L76's are Gen-IV motors and use the 58-tooth reluctor wheel...

But yeah these engines are very, very similar. The differences are going to be that the iron block weighs 70-lbs more but can handle another few hundred lb-ft of torque, and the accessories on on the front of the engine will differ a bit, and improvements in induction over the last several years.

Mr. P.

THANK you!! I knew about the 24 tooth thing.. had read that elsewhere about the differences.

this is what i had found... but its based on what someone else wrote..

The LS2 has and all aluminum block where the LQ4/9 is iron. Although they have the same bore and stroke and are interchangable, the crank, rods and pistons are slightly different. Each of the three also come with different heads. The cam postion sensor and the knock sensors are in different locations on the LS2 than all of the previousl Gen3 motors. Late 05 and later LS2 also have a 54 tooth reluctor wheel on the crank unlike the Gen3 which has 24. The early model LS2s have the 24 tooth.

my 06 had the 58 :confused: and the LS2 rods/pistons, and the 04 escalade LQ9 we built had different rods/pistons and the 24 tooth.... so who knows, i think they changed in late 04 or early 05

In that case the new LQ9's are probably very, very similar to the LS2's, the only differences being iron block (+70-lbs) and intake manifold. Do the new LQ9's have the 2-wire knock sensors? Did they relocate the knock sensors to the side of the block like on the aluminum blocks, or are they still in the valley cover?

Mr. P.

two knock sensors, still in the valley cover. and still single wire :banghead: stupid false knock all day long lol. in comparison to the LS2, the heads are different too, and the cam of course (in addition to what you said above)....

I thought the heads were the same port castings, just different chamber volumes & part numbers?

Knock sensors - I got an EDUCATION on these a couple weeks ago at EFI101, is there a way that a guy could outright disable the knock sensors? or rig up some shunts or similar?

Mr. P.

Knock sensors - I got an EDUCATION on these a couple weeks ago at EFI101, is there a way that a guy could outright disable the knock sensors? or rig up some shunts or similar?

Mr. P.

Sure is. I have done it. All I did was set the max KR allowed table to "0" across the board in PE mode and non PE. Is this what you mean? I did this on the dyno because I got some false KR (sure of it) and wanted to see where my limit was. I returned the max allowed to 8 after that.

ya you can do that.... better to just raise the levels of vibration it takes for the PCM to consider it "knock". this is necesarry when adding a cam or different rockers... otherwise it will KR all the time when there is nothing there. but turning it off, not so safe lol- especially on a boosted application, especially with a hot air compressor like the radix :jester:

I see you put for an 07' Vortec Max. This really depends on if you have an 07' classic body or the new body style for 07'.

Well looking at the tailgate I'd say A. bought one of the newest VMax models; I'm assuming since it is a FLA truck it's 2WD...

I see you put for an 07' Vortec Max. This really depends on if you have an 07' classic body or the new body style for 07'.

its a 2007 Silverado 1500 with the Vortec Max engine.. not the classic.. I was adamant about NOT getting the classic style. :) Hes the newest style.

Well looking at the tailgate I'd say A. bought one of the newest VMax models; I'm assuming since it is a FLA truck it's 2WD...

yep. you are correct. :)

I was going to get the 4WD but the dealership that had it had loaned the truck to some radio personality who put 700 miles on it for some Chevy marketing thing... they wouldnt drop the price any, so I told them I wasnt interested... hell, I had no idea how that engine was treated during those 700 miles... i wouldve been buying a used truck that had never been registered (at a NEW price) noooo thank you.

Edited by AndromedaSS (see edit history)

ok i think most of the people that replied to your post thought you had the older body style, but i know u have the new body style. on YOUR truck, your engine is the L76. but 95% of the members on here are older body style with the 6.0 and we all have the LQ9. LQ9 is rated at 345 hp and your L76 is rated at 367 hp. hope that helps