Okay, sunroof install... The dealer made it sound like it was a Simple

AndromedaSS

when i bought my truck this weekend, the dealer made it sound like installing a sunroof was as easy as 'taking off the roof panel and replacing it'.... for $1100. It would be covered under warranty like anything else...

Ive always been super skeptical of an aftermarket sunroof, as.. well.. its not factory and it may affect the structural integrity of the vehicle..

Sooooo what do you guys know about installing a sunroof on this truck?? Is it as simple as they make it sound?? Thanks!! :D

Edited by AndromedaSS (see edit history)

had a friend that got a sunroof put in aftermarkert....it was huge but his wife always wanted one and loved it.... mine was factory tho.... i do know that i have a mesh scren that covers the sunroof so i can never get completely block the sun thru it.... i leave it open all the time anyway.

when i bought my truck this weekend, the dealer made it sound like installing a sunroof was as easy as 'taking off the roof panel and replacing it'.... for $1100. It would be covered under warranty like anything else...

Ive always been super skeptical of an aftermarket sunroof, as.. well.. its not factory and it may affect the structural integrity of the vehicle..

Sooooo what do you guys know about installing a sunroof on this truck?? Is it as simple as they make it sound?? Thanks!! :D

I wouldn't let the dealer install one of those fugly sunroofs on my SSS! I don't understand why they have them open out like a ricer wing. :puke: I have an aftermarket one that slides into the roof and can't be seen when open.

If you do a search under my username and the word "moonroof", you should get the thread I made about my sunroof.

92119596.jpg

92119574.jpg

92119558.jpg

I had them hide the switch in the console.

91885616.jpg

As for the integrity of the roof, the sunroof assembly actually stiffens the roof some. The assembly that was installed in my SSS was huge. The dome light had to be moved and the headliner had to be redone. As far as leaks, I've been told that EVERY sunroof leaks. It's just a matter of how they route the hoses coming from the assembly. When I first got mine installed, it leaked. I took it back and they found that the original installer had routed the drip hoses in a fashion where they were going kind of uphill so that was the reason for the leak.

Do yourself a favor, GET AN AFTERMARKET ONE!

well i talked to the dealer, and they said although it opens up all the way, it doesnt retract INTO the roof, it pops up out of the roof at an angle.. (you guys were right..)

but it DOES open up all the way..

bleh. I told him I was gonna hold off on the sunroof install and just stick with my chrome side steps and the navigation. :)

If I decide i DONT want the sunroof, they just refund my money.. which is pretty cool.. so Im not obligated. I like that.

Edited by AndromedaSS (see edit history)

I wouldn't let the dealer install one of those fugly sunroofs on my SSS! I don't understand why they have them open out like a ricer wing. :puke: I have an aftermarket one that slides into the roof and can't be seen when open.

If you do a search under my username and the word "moonroof", you should get the thread I made about my sunroof.

92119596.jpg

92119574.jpg

92119558.jpg

I had them hide the switch in the console.

91885616.jpg

As for the integrity of the roof, the sunroof assembly actually stiffens the roof some. The assembly that was installed in my SSS was huge. The dome light had to be moved and the headliner had to be redone. As far as leaks, I've been told that EVERY sunroof leaks. It's just a matter of how they route the hoses coming from the assembly. When I first got mine installed, it leaked. I took it back and they found that the original installer had routed the drip hoses in a fashion where they were going kind of uphill so that was the reason for the leak.

Do yourself a favor, GET AN AFTERMARKET ONE!

:withstupid:

I couldn't agree more.. don't get the one from the dealer.. Get one that slides into the roof.. I may cost a little bit more but its worth it IMO.. Do a search on sun roofs in here. There are plenty of pics

My SSS came with one from the factory, and I never open mine up all the way so that it looks like a 'ricer wing'. I usually just crack it for a nice breeze, I think it looks nice when its just popped straight up or open an inch or two......:chevy:

I guess it is just a matter of personal preference........