Ok, so I finally pulled myself away from this site to go get some grub. I was coming to a stop light and I felt the truck down shift from second to first, it didnt seem normal. I had to push the breaks a little harder when it went into first gear. It was raining and the truck was running for about 15 minutes before it did this.

So heres my quick question

Any thing I should do?

Change the fluid or start saving for a trans or something. I have 39400 miles on it.

edited for zippy

Edited by brandt (see edit history)

One time only event? What was the tranny temp? Normally, I would say it's a fluke, but with these trannys, I'm guessing not.

yea only did it once but i didnt drive it much today trans temp was normal i was going about 30MPH and came up to a redlight and it did it i didnt slam on the breaks or nothing got me worried kinda felt like the rear of the truck was a block away and took it time to catch up lol im looking into shift kits and servos right now incase i have to rebuild the trans i will have all kinds of goodies to put in it

AWD's do tend to be "clunky" may have been what happened... just keep a close eye on the tranny.

will do thanks ill run it around town tomorrow and see what happens -------

quick question if i order a shift kit and al that if i burn up the trans will i have to reorder another shift kit

Edited by brandt (see edit history)

Ask Zippy or Mr. P on that one... I got no experience on that, so I ain't going to pretend I do.

If the tranny is going bad, it's going to stay bad, it may have been a simple hick-up, AWD messing up in the rain (switching the power around), hell, you may have actually lost traction and the SS got it back, and you only felt the system shock.

If it was only once, I wouldn't worry about it........the question is, how hard were you braking? A quick or abrupt stop will cause the trans to downshift hard. Just keep an eye on it if it gets worse......with your mileage you might want to consider having the trans flushed soon.......:chevy:

I'm not sure that there is anything you should do at this point. I would keep an ear/feel out for issue's like it. It almost sounds like you are getting a vacuum leak or something causing the idle to be inconsistant coming to a stop. That will cause harsher downshifts and firmer brake pressure to stop.

I'm not sure that there is anything you should do at this point. I would keep an ear/feel out for issue's like it. It almost sounds like you are getting a vacuum leak or something causing the idle to be inconsistant coming to a stop. That will cause harsher downshifts and firmer brake pressure to stop.

thanks all

and zippy i will be in touch somtimes in the near future for a shift kit

but befor i ask any questions i will read up on it

thanks again